Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newby headed to Davis County

Daver hit on a key point and something that you said earlier made me think you to mention this. Start looking at Google Earth and topo maps of the farm. Find pinch points and areas of interest in the property before you set foot on it in case the stands the landowner has set aren't on the X or the wind and weather throws you a curveball. It sounds like a 135 is a good possibility. I don't know your situation but if you don't manage to connect during your first trip keep options open for a return trip in late November around Thanksgiving if it's feasible.
I have been looking at google earth and the area of the farm just not sure exactly where the property borders are since I have never been there before. May call the owner and see if I can find out a more general boundary. Thanks for the advise..

beacon.schneidercorp.com/

Try this site. Should be able to zoom in and see parcels and who owns them.

Nailed it. Not all counties in iowa are cataloged on beacon. But Davis is and it is your best bet. I have found the property boundaries to be extremely accurate.

That is nice to hear! I am loosing sleep at night and so ready to get up there. What is the normal lows and daytime high temps for early to mid November?
To be completely honest I would come prepared for anything. Sometimes it's up in the 60s and the next day it could drop to 30. If it was me I'd bring a set of clothes for cold weather and for warmer weather just to be on the safe side. This weather is unpredictable as any I've ever seen

To be completely honest I would come prepared for anything. Sometimes it's up in the 60s and the next day it could drop to 30. If it was me I'd bring a set of clothes for cold weather and for warmer weather just to be on the safe side. This weather is unpredictable as any I've ever seen

Yeah that is kinda like La in the winter one day 80 and next day 20. I plan on bringing everything I own..lol

So pumped I cant sleep!! We are leaving Louisiana for Davis County Friday at 3am. Any reports in that area for rut activity? Also anyone familiar of a place to watch LSU vs Bama Saturday night in Bloomfield area? I have a small TV in the camper but not sure if the HD antenna will pick up CBS in that area...lol kinda doubt it but who knows.

Mature bucks seem to be on there feet from what im seeing. Bloomfield has a motel/Restaurant and bar called south fork that you can probable watch the game at. It is on the south side of town across from pizza hut.

So pumped I cant sleep!! We are leaving Louisiana for Davis County Friday at 3am. Any reports in that area for rut activity? Also anyone familiar of a place to watch LSU vs Bama Saturday night in Bloomfield area? I have a small TV in the camper but not sure if the HD antenna will pick up CBS in that area...lol kinda doubt it but who knows.

eh- Iowa isn't that good of a state to hunt and Rut is pretty boring-----whats the big deal;:rolleyes: GOODLUCK- hope you shoot a booner!!

Mature bucks seem to be on there feet from what im seeing. Bloomfield has a motel/Restaurant and bar called south fork that you can probable watch the game at. It is on the south side of town across from pizza hut.

Ditto. I just got home from a couple of days at my farm in Davis County Let's just say I will be making a post later in the harvest section, but right now I have to go to the locker. :D BTW, I went into Bloomfield and had dinner Tuesday evening at the Southfork...small world. Several other deer hunters in there this time of the year and good food too.

Bucks are definitely on their feet though. I was not seeing real crazy chasing, but that could start really any minute now. Bucks were walking around and looking, doing a little bumping, etc. Does were still feeding in the fields, but the really good stuff should start any time now. But big bucks are killable right now!!

Sounds like you're timing it right. Dress warm because it looks like it could get cold if the forecast for the NE corner of the state is the same as Davis county. Now if only Daver would hurry up and post his harvest thread.

Awesome! Thanks for the info...

eh- Iowa isn't that good of a state to hunt and Rut is pretty boring-----whats the big deal;:rolleyes: GOODLUCK- hope you shoot a booner!!
LOL... OK man..:D Deer down here walk through the woods looking up for deer stands. As soon as the first HP rifle goes off the deer go nocturnal. Kinda sounds like a ISIS attack on opening day in La.

Ditto. I just got home from a couple of days at my farm in Davis County Let's just say I will be making a post later in the harvest section, but right now I have to go to the locker. :D BTW, I went into Bloomfield and had dinner Tuesday evening at the Southfork...small world. Several other deer hunters in there this time of the year and good food too.

Bucks are definitely on their feet though. I was not seeing real crazy chasing, but that could start really any minute now. Bucks were walking around and looking, doing a little bumping, etc. Does were still feeding in the fields, but the really good stuff should start any time now. But big bucks are killable right now!!
Awesome I will be looking for it. It is 70* here today so I'm in for a temp shock I'm sure. We are leaving at 3am in the morning for the 13hr drive. I appreciate all the info from yall....

How's your trip to Iowa treating you so far? I'm hunting Davis county also been really slow the last couple days...

Although I did not get in a treestand today myself. My boys did and did not see real good movement. I was that they would...but what do I know. I drove around a fair amount this am and pm also did not see anything special going on. I guess that just means tomorrow has to be good, huh? :)

Davis Co was very sad for rut action Nov 4 - 8 same for a buddy on the east side. It has to get better this week because it cant be any worse

^^ yes totally agree! Sat many hours in the stand from Friday till Wednesday and seen less than 10 deer! Didn't help I don't think that all the crops were still in! Could be wrong but I sure would of thought that snow and cold temps would of got them fired up!?

10 deer in one day? Thats great! Ive seen 10 deer in the past two wks. Actually Ive seen more deer this season than most.

Top Bottom