Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table:

Re: Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table

Not meaning to just keep this going, but I don't really understand your reply. You can only shot ONE buck and you are willing, in fact are fighting for the right, to spend $450 each year just for that priviledge. Isn't it worth $250 a year in the off years to be on your land hunting and learning and planning for the years when you do draw a buck tag? If you are really into deer hunting pick a big doe and pattern her and make her as much of a goal and throphy as any buck. Just think what you might learn and how much enjoyment you might then get from your land instead of just thinking in term of horns. Maybe there are ways for the DNR to utilize the NR landowners more but until that happens it should be your responsiblity and obligation to better manage your own land and deer population yourself. If doe harvest is a commitment for you then you should have a harvest plan that would allow local residents access to your land for that purpose, instead of blocking all but one neighbor that you allow on. Maybe there are things you could better put your efforts instead of just wanting to have the laws changed to give you more privilidges.

rediculious attitude and selfish.Hmmmm I think I see what you mean

clearly ur not underatnding what i Said, more than happy to get on a plane , drive to my farm and shoot a doe, nothing makes me happier. I want to shoot more does. I dont need to shoot a buck every year, in fact even with a tag I may not. btw, not only do i let my neighbors hunt on my property , i employ them throughout the year. not fully understanding your reply. I thought the doe poplulation was so bad, they have created this new rifle season which no one seeems to crazy about.

[ QUOTE ]
...What's the difference between asking permission from a resident or NR, permission still has to be had.

[/ QUOTE ]

The resident is most likely a farmer, and is more than happy to give you permission to take some does off his property, maybe even get a crack at a nice buck. The NR landowner, in my experience, is the one that posts that big glaring sign up all around his property, you know, the one that reads: NO HUNTING. The NR landowner doesn't farm that property, he hunts it, and cuts off access to residents, thereby creating yet another doe refuge. The difference is night and day, whether or not we get the opportunity to hunt in our home state.

Once again, if you want to hunt Iowa deer every year, buy an antlerless tag, or better yet move here. We have room for more. Give us your huddled masses
grin.gif

Avid,

That's absolutely not true. The farms near the property I hunt in Iowa are all posted by residents. You know, the method in Iowa is to hang a tire on the corner fence posts that have the glaring words, "no hunting". And by the way I permit my "resident" neighbors to hunt on my property every year, and "pay" them to put food plots in, and help maintain my CRP.
I think you would be surprised if you took the time to identify a NR landowner, approach him, and work out a situation where you will hunt and help with the property; I think many would gain permission.

[ QUOTE ]
...I think you would be surprised if you took the time to identify a NR landowner, approach him, and work out a situation where you will hunt and help with the property; I think many would gain permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you owned the land I am talking about then. It's a very well made sign, no doubt, and not the cheapo tire hanging on the fence post. This family has money and told the farmer it leases the farmland to not to allow ANYONE to hunt it. We asked the farmer whether it would be worth a phone call, and he said something along the lines of 'snow balls chance in hell', since the guy that hunts it specifically wants the area all to himself, even though he only flies in for a couple weeks every year. What sucks is that we had permission to hunt this property for years...from the same family no less, and when control changed hands the signs went up over night.
frown.gif

Ask any resident that hunts basically public land, and he will supply you with the same stories... this is happening to all of us. Every year or so we lose access, and mostly because of non-resident land acquisition.

[ QUOTE ]
to not to allow ANYONE to hunt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to see that some NR landowners have decided to work with thier nieghbors in controlling their deer herd...however

Every single NR landowner I know (and I know more then just a few..in several counties) will allow absolutley NO ONE on their property for any reason!

To be fair most resident hunter/landowners are the same way.

Very few landowners who are managing their very expensive land as a place to harvest mature whitetails...are going to allow others on their property with the exception of a few close trusted friends...just the cold hard facts...
smirk.gif

I mentioned a doe harvest to the NR guy by me, he stated "I couldn't trust a group of guys not to shoot bucks so I don't allow anyone to hunt"
So... second day of shotgun season about 10am you could see 25 deer feeding in his field. There is always some deer in the field.
Meanwhile, between my friends and neighbor, and his friends we have shot over 80 does in the last 3 years and can't make a dent. We have about 1300 acres of refuge surrounding us.

Top Bottom