Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table:

Re: Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table

JJohnson, I understand that residents are worried about what would happen if the law was changed. But I just don't buy the argument that as soon as you give tags to nr landowners that all of a sudden there will be a land rush. Iowa land prices are at an all time high and nothing has changed in the deer regulations for nr in the last few years. There are so many other factors that determine the price of land in IA other than the deer regulations.

This is just my opinion and I can't prove it just like you can't prove that changing the law will cause a land rush by nr's.

Tim

i preface everything i write with their are no real right or wrong answers, many shades of gray exist. i will just say that I believe, that most land speculators are already in Iowa, they werer buying up land sub 1k per acre only 2-4 years ago. its crazy. These are the people who will be the first ones to sell, hey good for them, but lets be realistic, many non residents with so- called "big city" money are aleady getting priced out with 2500-3000/acre farm, it happened without any changes. when it does change and everything goes to 4k per acre, well now people will start looking at kansas, illinois and wisconsin. On another note, many old time farmers dont want to sell, where are they going to go? farming is what they know. many many many variables, at the end of the day it is simple supply and demand, it is a catch 22 - land is cheap cause u cant get a tag everyyear. hey if this happens u may even see a decline in illinois land, they will no longer be able to claim guranteed tags etc.

[ QUOTE ]
many non residents with so- called "big city" money are aleady getting priced out with 2500-3000/acre farm, it happened without any changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, we bought our land 4 years ago for $875 an acre. There's no way we could afford to buy now with prices in our county at $1700 an acre. The guy we bought from only paid $475 an acre 4 years earlier. He has "big-city" money and he was buying land in IA 10 years ago.

We bought to have a place to hunt and for our kids to have a place to hunt so we're not selling even though we could at least double our money.

Tim

Many-beards, Sorry in advance, I've already got a chip on my shoulder about North Carolina, stole our coach
grin.gif
and one of your fellow North Caroliners tried to steal my honeyhole two years ago, fortunately for me the landowner told him to take his money and take a hike. TT's in Kansas were the worst thing to come along in YEARS! Completely unfair to the average non-resident who can't afford a $2000 tag off ebay. And the residents HATE TT's. The money made off those tags is not helping the farmers who need the help. Don't bring up Kansas in this argument, when Kansas has done everything wrong the past five years when it comes to deer management. Fortunately, proposals will be coming before the legislature this spring to do away with TTs. Good for non-res. The bad part is I'm sure our state will decide to get those tags in the hands of many non-res. in another way -- by increasing the # of regular non-res. tags in the lottery. Man I feel like I'm back on the Kansas site.
smirk.gif

its quite amusing 4 years ago 2002 , 875 dollars an acre. u cant buy nuclear wasteland anywhere in the country that cheap . I guess if its not realy farmable, whats it good for other than growing deer, and with land in southern iowa at 1700-2500 acre, its not like people are dumping their farms. it just shows you not everyone looking to sell just because prices keep going up,

[ QUOTE ]
...This is just my opinion and I can't prove it just like you can't prove that changing the law will cause a land rush by nr's.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now there is a limit to how many tags a NR can purchase - put simply, the number of tags allocated EQUALS the maximum number of NR hunters there will be in any given season.

If you let NR landowners purchase tags every year... how many NR hunters do you think there will be? It is the equivalent of doing away with the allocation altogether. Even if you don't have enough money, all you need is a couple friends or family members to split up an acreage into a million pieces... Let your imagination do the rest.

Every year our Legislators try to slip an insidious bill like this by us... do they truly think we are a bunch of morons?!?
crazy.gif

There is a big chunk of farmland just down the road from my property, that sold to two businessmen from the NorthEast. They plan on making it their deer property. I asked the neighbors,"Seems like a big investment, for a couple of guys, who only occasionally wil be able to hunt on it. Neighbors said they planned on hiring some outfit to manage the place for them. Maybe they know something I don't, about how Iowa will change? Land Prices are heading for the moon, down in Wapello County. A LandBarron neighbor of mine said he saw a 40, of ravines and brush go for $80,000, for what else? Deer Hunting.

>>>> You're wrong on both scores Teacher..... I am from Kansas. And,the only KS residents that have a differing opinion are the ones who don't own one square yard of land. They're only upset because landowners are now able to make a little money leasing land that they used to be able to hunt for free! Now,I did'nt make the rules..... that's just the way it is. If I choose not to lease land in KS,will the landowner lower the price to accomidate the locals? I think not......

Funny many beards, I didn't know NC was in the Kansas borders, I was born and raised for five years in Mississippi, but I'm now FROM Kansas -- just a difference in interpretations I guess. By the way if you were FROM kansas, perhaps you would have gone to one of the proposal meetings the KDWP set up all across the state this past year and you would have seen that BOTH land owners and residents do not like the TT situation. My family owns over 2000 acres of farm ground that's significantly more than "one square yard". I believe this will be a mute point after this year when the new reg.s go into effect for 2008, my hope is the house and senate will take the dept.'s proposal to do away with TT's and like I posted earlier make it fair for all non-res. hunters again.

KSQ2, don't beat up on Roy to bad, he was not cuffed and stuffed in a trunk and brought back to NC but came of his own free will. I'll have to admit he looked to have $ signs instead of pupils the first time I saw him. Just a little takeoff from a serious discussion, no serious pun intended.
Have a great day!

Just out of curosity let's say the government decided you would not be able to hunt your land this year whether you were a res. or non res. land owner.Your choices would be not to hunt,allow some locals to hunt for free, lease to a non- resident or lease to an outfitter.What would you do?There could be more factors influencing your decision,farm payment,student loans,equipment or other business matters.

>>>> Now,you're not playing nice KSQ2. I AM from Kansas! Born in Wichita,and lived there the first eleven years of my life before my Dad transfered to Charlotte. I do NOT own one sq yard of land in your fine state,BUT I've leased half a section since 1997. That means when I leased my land,the TT were not even in existence. I don't care what your friends and neighbors may say at meetings. When they are presented the opportunity to make a little money(honestly and fairly),they WILL! I do agree with you that those high priced tags that are especially common in Units 15 and 16 are outrageous and shameful. BTW,I am sorry about Roy. But,he wants to be a legacy,and felt he would never have that opportunity at KU.

If a resident landowner was not allowed to hunt by the state than there would have to be a reason. Meaning that the state felt it was in the best interest of the state and its residents for them not to get a tag. So I'll play your scenario out. Lets say the herd got a disease and the population declined severely and only half the residents got tags. Now lets say I didn't get a tag and I had an appropriate number or higher number of deer than I should on my farm. I would let my friends and family hunt for free just like I do now reguardless of my payment requirements. If none of them drew tags then I would find some local guys that did get a tag and would allow them to hunt for FREE so the herd would be better off. If you can't afford the payments on your farm without leasing the hunting rights than sell it or decrease your number of acres. {I really dislike the direction that the hunting heritage is going and that in 10-20 years unless you own or can throw down 20-60 dollars an acre for a lease to hunt your out.} This logic doesn't work because you could sell your land and buy in your own state and hunt there. You don't have to own land in Iowa and if you do don't expect to be favored over a non-resident that doesn't own land. And don't go into "Well I pay property taxes in Iowa" My answer to that is....Sell your land in Iowa and buy in your own state. Then you can pay property taxes in your own state and I bet you'll even get a tag every year. I sometimes get the feeling that non-resdents think Iowa is on welfare and without the non-residents paying their property taxes we would be starving. No matter what your reasons or logic are I will never sell out my kids or my future grandchildrens opportunities in the outdoors for money. I will do everything in my power to see that Iowa never ends up like Pike County, Il or Buffalo County, WI.

I would do very similar to IowaQDM. I would let my family and friends hunt for free, as I do now. I would either video them or just watch with them or let them hunt while I took a nice long nap in the camper.
grin.gif

If the reasoning was a diseased herd I would stand with you.I do have a neighbor that hunts my place and has ever since I've owned it and he hunts it for free .Never has been an issue and probably never will be.I agree hunting has taken a downward turn the last few years.Friendships have been lost and relationships with neighbors strained.This is not what hunting is to me either.All I want is to hunt my land.About the Pike co. thing I'm not sure about the whole history of that but I don't believe it was created bv non-resident landowners, I think it was more so by the outfitters.

[ QUOTE ]
>>>> Now,you're not playing nice KSQ2. I AM from Kansas! Born in Wichita,and lived there the first eleven years of my life before my Dad transfered to Charlotte. I do NOT own one sq yard of land in your fine state,BUT I've leased half a section since 1997. That means when I leased my land,the TT were not even in existence. I don't care what your friends and neighbors may say at meetings. When they are presented the opportunity to make a little money(honestly and fairly),they WILL! I do agree with you that those high priced tags that are especially common in Units 15 and 16 are outrageous and shameful. BTW,I am sorry about Roy. But,he wants to be a legacy,and felt he would never have that opportunity at KU.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, you're not from Kansas. You reside in North Carolina. You may have some ties to Kansas, but you're not a resident. That residents of Kansas I know have a differing opinion then you. I don't care how much land you lease, your still not a Kansas resident.

NRLAND-OWNER

Lets cut through all the crud on this issue. You say that all you want to do is hunt you land. Well you can hunt your land with an antlerless tag every year, and you can hunt any thing else except a buck deer. Please admit that all you really want to do is hunt bucks every year on your land, something that you knew that you could not do when you purchased your land. I am usually not quite this blunt, but I get really tired of the same lament, "all I want to do is hunt my own land". All this means to me and others is that you don't really consider it hunting unless you can shoot a buck, no matter how big or small, but you just gotta have a buck. This attitude seems just rediculious to me. If you aren't hunting your land every year and removing does, if there is a population problem in your area, or letting others do so then you are a big part of our deer problems in Iowa. You mentioned that you let your neighbor hunt but you didn't say how much land and how many deer are taken each year. If he is like you and only considers shooting bucks hunting, then that might mean only 1 deer killed on your property each year, which sounds pretty selfish to me. You talk about deserving this right because you pay Iowa property taxes, but how much do you really pay? I have 140 acres with some in CRP and part in the forestry program and some not in any program, a 1800 sq ft house and a couple of out buildings and my tax bill is $2100. a year. Most of that is due to the house and buildings, so that the tax on the actual land is only a little over $800. So if your land doesn't have a new house and buildings and you have it in the reserve program and CRP Then you are actually making much more than you are paying out in taxes, and still think that you deserve a BUCK tag to hunt your own land every year. Why?

This issue is a never ending circle. Why do NR landowners want to hunt their land?? They OWN it! Why do residents who don't own land oppose NR landowners, because they don't own land. The Iowa DNR permits NR landowners one doe tag, ridiculous, one can't attempt to manage a deer herd with such a bad regulation.
In PA my family decided to buy land because even though PA is not considered big buck heaven hunting was tough without owning, or knowing someone who owned land, due to a lot of deer and a fun hunt. Iowa, welcome to the party due to a rep for large bucks.
Many posts state that changing the NR landowner law will only escalate land values. Well, it's happening anyway, check www.buyillinoisland.com. They also list Iowa property with prices over 2K per acre now.
Iowa residents who gripe about NR landowners are primarily those who don't own land and never would regardless of price. What's the difference between asking permission from a resident or NR, permission still has to be had.

i think it would be nice if nr landowners were utilized a little by allowing them to shoot more does instead of paying 250 dollars to shoot one, i could see your point if nr land owners were allowed to shoot more than one, nothing like a drilling a big old doe. Must be a way where the dnr could utilize the nr's better both land owners and non owners through the harvesting of more does, i still like that earn a buck, make a nr think twice before he plops down 2k for a 5 day hunt, get him thinking, "500 dollar tag, 2k outfitter cost =2500 and i have to shoot a doe first , nah i will go to pike county

>>>> Well,it's pretty clear that you never learned to play nice with others Teacher.... I AM from Kansas. Born and raised! Using your premise,anyone(including kansas residents serving honorably in the military)who don't actually live in KS RIGHT NOW ,are NOT really from Kansas!Dorothy was not really a Kansas resident while she was running all over the land of OZ looking for those stupid red slippers! That's a pretty radical point of view. NEVER in any of my posts did I claim to be a resident of Kansas. Nor am I a NR landowner. I've leased the same half section since 1997. This is an arrangement that has benefited both myself and the landowner for 9 years. Must be doing something right!

Top Bottom