Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table:

Re: Non Res Landowner Permits, may be on the Table

Go ahead and lease your land to an outfitter because when his client's (Nonresidents) can't draw a tag he wont be leasing your land for long! NR landowners just don't get it. Iowa residents want to protect the future generations of Iowan's so they can enjoy what we have had growing up. If you can't understand that then I feel sorry for you. If you want to live on the east coast or where ever and make your millions that's fine. Just don't wine and cry when your money can't buy you the quality of life we have or the opportunity to deer hunt in Iowa. What really makes me mad is when you guys talk about (investing) in our beautiful State just to make money not really for the opportunity to deer hunt or enjoy what we have. You guys that jump around pimping deer hunting land from state to state for money tear apart a great heritage in your wake. You guys obviously have little or no respect for hunting or the outdoor tradition's that we value. Here's a solution to your problems...sell your land in Iowa and buy in Illinois, Kansas, Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky, or anywhere you can get a tag if hunting is what your really interested in. If your in it for making money then I hope Iowa decreases the number of tags available for NR's and recreational land values decrease and you loose all your money. Then this issue wont come back up and I wont be compelled to read 300 replies to this same topic each year.

I completely agree that they should raise the price of non-resident tags to whatever the market will bear. They should also raise the price of resident tags if need be, since it hasn't changed in years. If Colorado can charge $1000 for a NR Elk tag, why can't we do the same for deer??? I don't care if there is no reciprocity, because I have no intention of hunting anywhere else, and if I did, I would respect that state's laws and fees and pay the price if it really meant that much to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Tim - I think your point is valid that the "average" NR land owner is a more valuable neighbor than someone that leases their land or allows many uncontrolled hunters, etc. But the problem that I think Benny is getting at is that as soon as NR's can be guaranteed an anysex tag every year then there will be quite a few more farms purchased by NR's, thereby restricting access to resident hunters and intensifying the issue still further.

The issue of res v. NR is a many sided issue, not just a simple two sided affair. If it was just two sided then we could probably all agree pretty quickly on the best resolution.

Personally, I don't see it so much as a res v. NR deal, nor do I think we could not handle some more bow hunters in the woods each Fall, it is more that once the restrictions relax then more people, res and NR will buy or lease more land to ensure their piece of the pie, effectively sidelining a range of others, mostly residents. I truly wish other states would begin to manage their resource well enough that a person didn't "have" to go to Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, etc, to find good deer hunting.

The way I see it is that many resident Iowans are fighting to protect good quality deer hunting that ironically the people that are coming here cannot find in their own home state. Whether we did it on purpose or by accident, our game regulations are a key factor that makes us an attractive destination v. the many places that the NR's come from. So why do so many, but not all, of the NR's seemingly insist on telling us how best to manage the herd? (BTW - nothing personal against you, these are just my opinions. I hope you shoot a booner every time you draw a tag here, whether you own land or not.)

[/ QUOTE ]

applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif

Nice to know that all the farmers in south central Iowa have kids in rehab. Got to love the spin some of these guys put on things.

I have several friends who are NR's although they would love to hunt Iowa every year they also understand the current laws in Iowa and why some of us work so hard to protect what we have. Most of the ones complaining are NR landowners that knew the laws when they bought their properties, hard for me to feel sorry for them.

Chris

Chris, first off I made an example, this particular example happens to be a true story. however, you are in one of the most ruthless business in the country, some pro hunters would kill their mother for a tag in iowa(exageration of course) everyyear. most pro hunters would like to emininate the competition period. So what have these people done, as you know, they have been getting governors tags, i am even told first hand by a pro hunter in Iowa their is so much whining going on by the big hunters to the dnr, " Hunter spec gets them, why cant we." etc' that the state may make it 100 tags for 1000 pop next year. So i guess thats ok.

khbofa,

Although I have no doubt that what you stated was true it also was an individual case and I'm sure that same case could be made for any state in the union. It's a pretty sad means for justifing selling the family farm, obviously if 2 out of 5 are in rehab and the other 3 are unemployed there are way more problems than just money in that family.

Although one team member of mine has drawn those tags I myself don't agree with them. I think they should be done away with or at the very least used for the terminally ill or handicapped individuals. I really don't think Iowa needs anymore publicity on their deer herd. I think the abuse of the residency law in Iowa is a bigger problem. Several of the top names buy land or lease land in Iowa and then claim residency in Iowa, by law they only have to live here 30 days prior to buying a license and not get a resident tag in any other state. Well if the IDNR would do a little work they would find several people violate this law every year, but they never do anything about. So now we have created another loop hole for NR to hunt Iowa. I truly wonder how many NR's are hunting Iowa this way?

Even though I'm in the business as you say, I'm a long ways from a Pro Hunter. I don't make a living based on hunting, I like most of you have a day job. I just have been fortunate enough to harvest a few animals on tape and get them onto productions. That being said the fortunate few that are making a living in the business have to produce and that's why you see some bucks being taken just for the sake of TV or video. I'm not on that level nor do I think I ever want to be. I on the other hand don't feel the need to shoot 130-140 class deer every year on film just to make the production. This is in no way a slam against anyone else, I just have personal goals and a 130-140 inch up and coming buck just isn't my cup of tea. Now if it was a mature deer I would take him in a heartbeat. I ate 2 tags this year as well as 2 last year and 1 the year before because the quality of animal I was after never presented me a shot. Well I really can't say that is the only reason (I missed a Boone on film 2 years ago) Ouch that still hurts! A true trophy is in the eyes of the beholder and shouldn't be influnced by anyone else. Unfortunately with all the web sites, magazines, TV shows and videos in todays market we become numb to anything less than 150 inches and I believe that increases every year.

I think the main point most of us are trying to make is we enjoy the whitetail hunting the way it is in Iowa right now and we want this to continue so our children and their children can experience it also. I have no problem sharing what we have here in Iowa, I do so every year, but for every resident slob hunter story I hear from NR's on the web I can show you several NR slob hunter stories or abuse of their perceived privilege of owning land in Iowa. I've heard it all and at this point its way past old.

All I can say is if you are fortunate enough to hunt Iowa whether you are a resident or non resident I hope you harvest the buck of your dreams.

Pround member of the IBA!

Chris

Chris...I like you more with every post!
waytogo.gif

Chris,

Regarding folks playing with the residency issue, even though they don't buy a license in another state, they cannot possess a driver's license or have a primary residence in another state, which of course they do. I don't see how they do it.

Back40,

You are right and I hate the fact fact that it occurs. Guys like yourself put in and wait to be drawn while others cheat the system, although it may be somewhat legal, in my eyes it's unethical and for the most part most if not all hunt their home state with a resident tag which means they are breaking the law. More than once have I contacted the IDNR with info on those cheating the system. They either don't have the manpower to pursue it or it isn't an issue with them. I hope it's the manpower issue, I hate to say it but I'm beginning to believe they just don't care.

For those of you NR's that apply and go through the legal means, I welcome you to the state and hope the buck of your dreams is the result of your hunt.

Proud member of the IBA!

Chris

Does any one really know many nr land owners there are and of this number how many just want to bow hunt? I think it is important to know how many tags would be issued.

nr-
It isn't about how many right now, it is about the impact in the future.
I made a smart @ss comment before when I asked "Why?" would a NR landowner expect to get a tag every year but I don't think people get it in this era of entitlement. Everyone has something that they feel the price is "too high" but should we step in for some and not for all? Who decides on these items? I'd like a new truck but Ford doesn't keep the price down so I can afford it, they decide how many they can produce that is good for Ford and then price them by what the market will bear. Property taxes are going to be paid no matter who owns the land so it doesn't make anyone special from out of state. NRs paying taxes were a given, just as the tag laws were when they bought the ground. People choose where they live- many because they have more opportunity or higher incomes by living in more populated areas, that is the trade-off. They made it.
Iowa offers a high quality of life for those that choose to live here. No one is turned away at the border, so I'd welcome anyone that wants to live here as a resident or hunt here as a NR as long as they say please and thanks instead of bitching about our laws.

Funny thing is that if they change the law- I'll make a p!ss pot full of money.

You are correct everyone expects to pay taxes.The cost for tags do not bother me as much as being thrown onto a lottery with nr's that do not pay taxes or have any committment to the land or to Iowa.And no I didn't properly research nr landowner deer hunting since that was not my primary purpose for purchasing land.I guess I figured it was similar to Illinois where the tags would cost more but they were available. Was this always an Iowa law or was it changed in the last few years?I've owned ths property for about six years.Note:I too would like to own a truck built in this decade.

u know paying taxes in a iowa is hardly a reason to bitch about getting atag, the taxes are a nonevent and most times crp pmts even them out, But i will say this, nr landowners do make many contributions in other ways, not looking for an award here, but i spend a ton of dough in iowa , supplies, furnishing, hunting equipment , food and the money nr landowners pay people to plant food plots etc. Most nr landowners come to iowa multiple times through out the yaer not just fo a week at an outfitter,this isnt a one night stand here, its a committment. so if giving me a tag everyyear is out of the question, maybe they could at least give a pref point every year just something . and i think i should be able to shoot a zillion does everyear, .

I am a non-resident who plans on buying some land in Iowa in the future and I see no reason for Iowa to give NR landowners any preference for owning land in the state. When I buy my ground, I know what the laws state and I need to RESPECT them. I believe Iowa will not be such a great place to deer hunt if quotas are raised and NR landowners get permits. Iowa is a special place for us hunters and we need to protect that. When I buy my ground, I will have no problem with hunting it every 3 years or so as it will make it even more special.

that sounds great, i hope you find a great piece of ground, their are many many differnt variables in these debates, sadly most statements are accurate depending upon how u look at them many shades of gray, however as I said, at th every least it would be nice to get a bunch of doe tags every year, very hrd to ever get to a somewhat normal buck to doe ratio if you cant harvest the proper amount of does. but make no mistake about it, i see all view points .

If you add more NR tags, more land will end up leased or otherwise tied up by either outfitters or locals looking to make a few extra bucks. Basically, the amount of land leased is directly proportional to number of NR tags available.

If you give NR landowners an either sex tag every year then land prices will go up as more NR hunters will buy hunting land resulting in fewer acres available for resident hunters. It also makes it much more difficult for locals to afford land.

In either situation, there are fewer acres available for local hunters. And if land prices go up enough, only those living elsewhere making big bucks will be able to afford it.

I do agree that a NR landowner should be able to buy available antlerless tags and shoot does at the same or similar cost as a resident. This would help prevent the artificially high population on "preserves" or closed lands that some complain about and let the NR hunt deer every year while waiting to draw a buck tag. Let's face it, if more does need to be taken, they need to be taken on NR owned land as well.

>>>> New here,but I'll jump in just the same..... I have not been lucky enough to draw a tag in Iowa,but I remember residents making the same arguments when they went to transferable NR deer tags in Kansas. I have'nt seen any negative impact in kansas,unless you think it's a bad thing to put a little money in the pockets of struggling landowners. The deer herd continues to thrive. Hey,I do alot of offshore fishing,and when I'm on a hot bite,and somebody crowds me...... well,it's human nature to be a little selfish. But,it's a big ocean out there guys!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think giving NR landowners a tag would make that big of a difference. We're talking a few hundred tags at most that would be only good on their own land anyway.

Another 3000 tags is only going to help the outfitters expand their operation. That's who I would be worried about if I was a resident.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not to take anything away form the IA DNR, but if they had 750,000 deer hunters like we have in MI you guys wouldn't have big bucks either.

[/ QUOTE ]

PYBucks,

Not to single you out but these are quotes from your previous posts. Yeah letting everyone that is a NR landowner right now get tags would probably not hurt deer hunting in Iowa. But that's not the point. If every NR landowner can get a tag then every acreage out there is going to get split and split and split until there is no land left for the average resident. FACT. Thus proving your other quote.

Most of these proposals don't seem like they would hurt to bad but there again that's not the point. Where will it end is what residents are afraid of.

I talk to several NR hunters each year and every single one of them enjoyed their hunt and most say see you in a few years.

I just don't get how this is so difficult to understand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Iowa offers great hunting now, don't ruin it...

[ QUOTE ]
>>>> New here,but I'll jump in just the same..... I have not been lucky enough to draw a tag in Iowa,but I remember residents making the same arguments when they went to transferable NR deer tags in Kansas. I have'nt seen any negative impact in kansas,unless you think it's a bad thing to put a little money in the pockets of struggling landowners. The deer herd continues to thrive. Hey,I do alot of offshore fishing,and when I'm on a hot bite,and somebody crowds me...... well,it's human nature to be a little selfish. But,it's a big ocean out there guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Manybeards,
That's 'cause you're not from Kansas. I bet Kansas RESIDENTS would have a differing opinion.

Top Bottom