Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Landowner Changes?

I already woke up pissed off this morning after dealing with a a-hole coach on the other team my son played last night,but that e-mail just put me over the top!
cussing.gif

Most of you know why King Mick would be in favor of this.....
smirk.gif

The bottom line is this:

[ QUOTE ]
Land access is still slowly shrinking with the ever-increasing demand on land and leasing. Laws and regulations are the only means for slowing this trend to reasonable levels. Simply put the more non-resident tags made available the more demand thus the more land acquisition and leasing. Currently non-residents are hesitant to purchase or lease land in Iowa because tags are not readily available on a yearly basis. If non-residents can be guaranteed tags each year demand for land will increase tremendously thus further eliminating overall land access.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those that do not know, Mick is originally from IA. It is disappointing to see him in favor of more non-resident rights (even landowners).

Even if Cory and BestofIowa are not the same person:

[ QUOTE ]
In Iowa I have no rights being a landowner. Because of the drawing system, I have to choose bow, shotgun or muzzleloader and in the last 5 years I've got a liscece to shoot a buck about every other year. I just paid for a bow permit last week and it was over $425.

[/ QUOTE ]

All nonresident landowners have the same rights as resident landowners. They can mushroom hunt, plant crops, raise livestock, mow the grass, fence their property lines, etc., etc. Free roaming deer are not owned or managed by the landowner... be it a resident or NR. No one is entitled to "rights" to kill deer. Hunting is a privilege based on seasons set to manage herd levels.

[ QUOTE ]
No one is entitled to "rights" to kill deer. Hunting is a privilege based on seasons set to manage herd levels.

[/ QUOTE ] well said JB
waytogo.gif

Non-Residents can also Post thier land solid or better yet...Lease it to an IOWAN OUTFITTER. If they passed a law stating 80 acres minimum with only one owner and that owner could only hunt his 80 acres would that be fair?

I don't blame Iowans for being hot over this topic I would be.
crazy.gif

However, anyone who would pay 20,000 to go to Texas to shoot a skinny necked, high fenced buck has way more $$ than brains, heck I have more $$ than they have brains.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Non-Residents can also Post thier land solid or better yet...Lease it to an IOWAN OUTFITTER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what most of them do?

Folks,
It's good to see people passionate about deer & deer hunting! The following are my thoughts on this subject...
(1) Iowa ranks within the top 3 states in the U.S. with regard to harvest rate of B&C-sized bucks, which is the "bottomline" driving force behind the demand for land & hunting rights.
(2) Iowa is easily the most conservative state in the U.S. with regard to non-resident white-tailed deer hunting rights. Across the southern border in Missouri non-residents can buy a buck tag over the counter the same day they wish to hunt & there is no limit on tags. Across the eastern border in Illinois non-resident bowhunters have access to 20,000 buck tags. IL by the way, has distanced itself from IA in recent years with regard to the harvest of B&C bucks.
(3) The demand for deer hunting access in Iowa will very likely continue to increase.
(4) Most large tracts of prime whitetail habitat in Iowa will become unavailable - mostly due to resident hunter demand.

Given the above, my brother (who resides in Cedar Rapids) & I purchased a small farm in southern Iowa in 2004 & an adjacent small farm in 2005. My lifelong dream has always been owning my own land. Given my career choice, I NEVER thought I would ever have the financial means to accomplish this dream. Thanks to my brother, (& a lot of hard work, extra jobs & penny pinching on my part) we have been able to realize this dream.

Now, I spend every possible minute of vacation time in Iowa at our small farms doing everything possible to turn these properties in whitetail havens. All the while having the time of my life while getting the much needed opportunity to spend invaluable time with my father & brothers.

I haven't complained about what I perceive to be an imbalance & an injustice on this thread previously, but each year as neighboring states liberalize their own non-resident regulations, it becomes a harder & harder pill to swallow. Is it too much to ask for the ability to hunt a deer of your choice on your own land???

Finally, although my full-time job is with King Ranch, they are in no way involved with anything I am doing in my home state of Iowa. The only high fence on King Ranch surrounds a county airport to keep deer off the runway. King Ranch's pricing scale is very similar to other private, south TX ranches. And, the day after I retire, I'm moving back to Iowa! If private lands deer biologist jobs were available in Iowa, I would already live there!

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,
(1) Iowa ranks within the top 3 states in the U.S. with regard to harvest rate of B&C-sized bucks, which is the "bottomline" driving force behind the demand for land & hunting rights.
(2) Iowa is easily the most conservative state in the U.S. with regard to non-resident white-tailed deer hunting rights. Across the southern border in Missouri non-residents can buy a buck tag over the counter the same day they wish to hunt & there is no limit on tags. Across the eastern border in Illinois non-resident bowhunters have access to 20,000 buck tags. IL by the way, has distanced itself from IA in recent years with regard to the harvest of B&C bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any chance #1, and #2 are at least somewhat related? Hmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
the day after I retire, I'm moving back to Iowa! If private lands deer biologist jobs were available in Iowa, I would already live there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every body has choices in America, including the choice to move to Iowa tommorow and enjoy full priviledges as a resident. I wish you the best of luck when you do.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

[/ QUOTE ]
Any chance #1, and #2 are at lease somewhat related? Hmmm.

I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for not responding to the question and only take out of my post what you highlight. The state of Iowa should start taking some of the Non-Resident money to buy land to insure the future of its awsome deer hunting for everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for not responding to the question and only take out of my post what you highlight. The State of Iowa should start taking some of the Non-Resident money to buy land to insure the future of its awsome deer hunting for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm just not sympathetic to this issue. It's my State (residents / hunters) that's going to be broken over this crap.

Opening the door and taking NR monies for land aquisition, that to me is putting the cart before the horse. The State of Iowa should secure ground for thier residents prior to even considering opening up the doors to NR. We are in the bottom 3% of states as far as the amount of public hunting/recreation areas. The land lock would happen a heck of a lot faster than the State would be buying ground IMO.

What really needs done is the dedicated Natural Resource tax funding that's in the works! If Orion is going to lobby for something.... that should be it. That would probably loosen up a good number of issues in this State.

By the way Orion,

Sorry to see you are going to try organizing against us.

I am a NR. Not planning to hunt Iowa anytime soon. Trying to create something good here at home. Maybe these other NR should try making their own states better instead of screwing with access to Iowa. I believe hunter density is number 1 reason for good or bad deer hunting, I don't blame you for wanting to keep it the way it is.

i dont even see why this is even an issue.... when i lived in iowa i had plently of places to hunt, private and public, but once i moved away
frown.gif
i lost many of those places so i bought my own land for my use and others that i left behind but im not complaining every year i put in for my tags and probally wont get my archery buck tag for another 3 years but im not complaining.... the way i see it is every couple of years i get to hunt the best state in my opinion for big bucks and i dont wine about it im just happy that i get the oppertunity.... i dont believe just bcs i own a piece of land in a certain state that doesnt give me the right to do whatever i want on it there are still rules that you have to follow so i dont see what the problem is....

Talk about timing. In the current issue of Pheasants Forever Summer 2007 is an article called Commerce, Conservation & The Democracy of Hunting by Jim Posewitz, it kind of addresses the concerns that the res. have here in Iowa about allowing unlimited NR hunting. I'm sure there is someone here that can get a site posted, (not me I still have problems posting a pic).

In a nut shell he discusses that the biggest threat to hunting is not anti-hunters, but commercialized hunting. That hunting will become an activity only for those that can afford the price. I hope everyone gets a chance to read it.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't complained about what I perceive to be an imbalance & an injustice on this thread previously, but each year as neighboring states liberalize their own non-resident regulations, it becomes a harder & harder pill to swallow. Is it too much to ask for the ability to hunt a deer of your choice on your own land???

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you want Iowa to destroy it's awesome deer herd considering the fact that you plan to move back here. You will thank Iowa for not becoming a Texas or an Illinois once you move back. In the meantime, I'm sure you could get an employee discount at the ranch there if you want to shoot a Booner.

My first thought is why didn't you and your family buy in Illinois so you could hunt every year. You had to know NR's had to draw when you bought your land. So why would you expect us to change the rules for you and other NR's. Why would we follow any of our neighboring states when we can see the negative effects of increased tags. Iowa has just a fraction of the acres of deer habitat when compared to the other top ten states which means every additional NR allowed in has a greater effect on the resident hunters. I see no injustice other than you and other NR's wanting us to sell out our children future hunting opportunities so few rich guys from across the country can buy or lease all the ground. You also pointed out how Illinois gives out 20,000 NR buck tags. Try asking a Illinois resident hunter about how they can no longer hunt private land because they can't afford to pay $40-$60 an acre to lease the hunting rights or shell out $4,000-$6,000 per acre for a piece of timber. The reason Illinois is distancing itself from us is because very few hunters have access to the prime land. I would guess that there are at least 5 resident hunter's displaced for every NR tag Illinois sells due to NR's and outfitter's leasing/buying the land. Iowa residents are not the ones running up land prices or tieing up the large tracts of land. I would bet you 3 out of every 4 hunting farms sold in Iowa over the last 5 years have sold to NR's. If you don't believe me call any real estate broker that specializes in farms in Westen/Southern and Eastern Iowa (where most of the deer habitat is located) and ask them. You could probably poll IW members about the land that has sold around where they hunt and would get the same results. Even though The King Ranch's prices are similair to other Texas ranches doesn't mean Iowa residents want to see hundreds of (King Ranch) type operations in Iowa charging those kinds of rates. As far as you moving back to Iowa that is great because I would like to see all landowners live here but until then you'll just have to draw a tag every other year or maybe every third. If you still have trouble with swallowing that pill I would recommend a larger glass of water.
grin.gif

Top Bottom