Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR tags exceed $500

and I'm not rich. Unless you think cops are rich. And I did have to save money for the trip. It is a once in a lifetime trip and I wouldn't be able to afford it unless my friend from Wilton High School didn't live one half hour away from the zone that we are hunting. I will probably need a preference point to get in that zone. So he is guiding me.

Archery Tag Fees

Deer
Missouri= $150.00
Indiana= $150.00
S. Dakota= $195.00
N. Dakota= $200.00
Texas= $300.00
Idaho= $301.00
Wyoming= $312.00
Kansas= $322.50
Illinois= $400.00
Iowa= $544.50

For those of you who are not happy with the current cost of an Iowa deer tag, don't get your panties in a bundle just yet. You've got other options outside of Iowa. For instance, you can look towards some of the other states listed, obtain the tag easier, and also at a cheaper price. Why wouldn't you want to do that? Why would you complain when all you have to do is apply in another state!

Wait, I think I may know the answer. Does it have something to do with the quality of the resource? You would rather hunt Iowa because you feel it's one of the top-notch whitetail states? Most of you have heard the phrase, "you get what you pay for." If you don't want to pay it, go somewhere else. I doubt the state of Iowa will be too heartbroken, because there will be 3,000+ other NR hunters who obviously think its a good enough deal for them.

Last edited:
I doubt the state of Iowa will be too heartbroken, because there will be 3,000+ other NR hunters who obviously think its a good enough deal for them.

The state surely won't be. BUt what if the increase in cost, maybe not now, but in the future, does indeed squeeze out the avg. guy? Then those 3000 people may jut in fact be the type that some residents tend to resent, you know the type with $$, lease lots of land, take away from resident access etc? The state won't care, but will someone on this site?

I'm not taking sides on this one, just playing Devil's advocate I guess.

I don't think the increase is going to change a thing. NR tag allocations and residency requirements are what we really need to worry about, and thats a completely different topic.

If you're a NR that wants to hunt Iowa, you draw a tag every three years (on average). Save $15.13 per month and you'll have enough for the tag ($544.40/36 months=$15.13).

I'm guessing most of you who plan on hunting Iowa can afford that.

So you have to be rich to go to Colorado to Elk hunt. Hmmm, Maybe i am rich since i went last year. Saved money for a year, bought new gear that I probably will never use in Iowa, Drove 21 and a half hours at $4.00 a gallon gas. Paid $500 and some change for a tag which didnt get put on an animal. Not lack of oppurtunity just wanted something more than a barely legal bull. Scheduled for a ten day hunt had to come home after four due to the death of my father. Am I rich, NOPE just sacrificed a little and saved a lot. I mean hell I think im just an average guy work full time, go to school full time, part time job with the city, married with two boys but i still went and didnt bitch to the sales clerk that i bought my tag from about the price of the tag. By the way why dont you hunt in Illinois where you are a resident instead. Oh wait they let everyone and there dogs have a NR tag and you have no where to hunt. Some thing that we are trying to prevent. So my final thoughts are yeah the prices went up steeply, thats a bummer and i would gladly pay an increase in tags to keep the quality and access in Iowa the same. I mean I think i am getting a bargain compared to guys who are in to golf and pay 2500 to 5000 a year for golf memberships.

http://www.deerhuntingchat.com/viewforum.php?f=20

Here ya go!! Maybe you will find a place to hunt in your own state, instead of complaining about ours. If you don't have the money saved or you are not rich to play outta state, then don't.

I hunted in Iowa because I have a good bunch of friends over there who like to have a good time hunting. No bitching about big bucks or people who are leasing land around them. They have others things to worry about instead of a dang deer. Pretty pathetic I live 7 miles from where I hunt in Iowa and cant hunt anymore because of greedy crybabies.

I get on alot of websites and this one, honest to god, is the most negative site Ive seen. I liked it for the first year or so but its went downhill. You wont see me on here anymore. Ya'll have fun chasing them monster bucks. They must really mean alot to you.

I get on alot of websites and this one, honest to god, is the most negative site Ive seen. I liked it for the first year or so but its went downhill. You wont see me on here anymore. Ya'll have fun chasing them monster bucks. They must really mean alot to you.

That's the most positive statement I've heard out of you on this thread. :confused: Talk about calling the kettle black.

Off topic I know, but calling out the entire website.... Really?

Just applied today. I love hunting in Iowa, I think its the best state in the union for book whitetails. Its simple economics, when demand for an item is high, (NR buck tags) then price is high. Its really not that diffacult to grasp. I can tell you also that if demand keeps exceeding supply, the price will keep going up. The only thing I don't like is that the DNR seems to think the iowa deer herd is theirs.:mad:

My father has a saying that comes to mind as I read these posts.

"He was born on third, but he thinks he hit a triple."

Very appropriate for some.;)

Pretty pathetic I live 7 miles from where I hunt in Iowa and cant hunt anymore because of greedy crybabies.

You make it sound like the guys on this site caused the increase.

When in fact your making a fuss about something none of us can control. And the guys here are just letting you know that it isn't going to change and a few of them even gave you some more affordable options to pursue.

Who's the crybaby?

Last edited:
Iowa will probably see the average man quit coming to Iowa and the rich man taking over which will be the downfall of hunting in Iowa..

I have friends that I have met over the years in Iowa by just knocking on doors and asking permission...

I have close to 850 acres that I can hunt for free and the landowners won't let the residents hunt because they all think that once you give them permission they want to take over the place...

I reckon I'll just let the landowners raise those deer for me for a couple more years so I might can afford to come back...

I really do hope the DNR takes a better look at their policies...

I hunted in Iowa because I have a good bunch of friends over there who like to have a good time hunting. No bitching about big bucks or people who are leasing land around them. They have others things to worry about instead of a dang deer. Pretty pathetic I live 7 miles from where I hunt in Iowa and cant hunt anymore because of greedy crybabies.
You are the one that moved across the river last year, so what are you crying about? You new the rules when you lived in Iowa. Kind of funny that one of your first posts was about all the land you owned and would never have to worry about having a place to hunt. Oh right that was your grandfathers place. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, this site is better without you. Go find your fishing buddy T250.

On this one, I am going to actually take the middle-ground. I think the prices are a bit rediculous BUT I don't think it's a make or break for MOST hunters of any class (ones with any bit of personal budgeting and discipline). I also don't think it's fair-game to start comparing to other states because Iowa is not equal. If you see Iowa as the best state (maybe you won't admit it but...) you'll come up with the money. (I can think of only ONE person who can't do it because they do not have any discipline with $, budgeting, saving and have maxed out credit cards because they like too many goodies).

I can't think of very many guys that would be happy to spend almost as much money as the tag price for a mount of a big buck they killed. This is coming from a guy who was a poor college kid who managed to hunt all over when I was in college with my buddies. Again- I see both sides to this (and agree the price is getting a bit rediculous) BUT I don't think this is some major deal breaking, economy wrecking action, it's not that big of deal to be honest in my opinion.

Top Bottom