Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR tags exceed $500

Shoot2Kill, that's a damn good point! I'm pretty sure DWilk is right though, we will most likely be given a tag increase as well.

One other minor comment. This is just a VAGUE big picture comment. FUNDAMENTALLY, I think this is NOT a main issue of MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. I think this is far more an issue of QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY.

In all fairness, if you read through all the previous posts, I really feel the UNDERLYING issue at hand that's behind everything is the deer/herd quality issues (and keeping Iowa the best). (yes, on the surface I hear the money debate and understand the issue- both sides!). IF the state only cared about money, they could do 100 different things to rake it in- the COULD double the NR tags and keep the tags at $500 and they would DOUBLE their income compared to now. IF you want to see a state focused on MONEY over QUALITY, go across the river to ILLINOIS.

*Still saying I come down in the middle here and see both sides BUT I just wanted to voice that I think this is far more a "Quality" issue in regards to IA deer, hunting and top notch hunting - IMO.

I agree with the few that believe this may backfire in the long run. Yes, the same amount of NR's will come but they will be in a higher income bracket. I agree this will in turn cause more buying/leasing by those NR's and ultimately more influence($$$) with your state legislature.

I don't agree with the attitude that if one saves, and you want to hunt bad enough the cost is worth it. Like Rackaddict mentioned the tag is really $700+ with the pref. point added over 2 years, add fuel or plane cost, food and lodging, meat processing, etc. and the nut is a big one for the avg. guy.

Some residents are happy but this increase is a sheep in a wolf's clothing. It will not keep out NR's, only bring in the ones residents don't want to see, i.e. the guy who knows the governor, the state rep., the state senator, the chair of the Farm Bureau, the CEO of Allstate ins., etc.

just like most of us here i also see both sides of this. as far as what they "could of done" if they really wanted the money, we would of seen an increase also which we will, just like dwilk stated.

great points shoot2kill. and i agree with sligh about it being quality rather then money. they went with the price hike rather then the double tags. hopefully they just understand that we can lose this great quality of hunting, it wont last forever with these circumstances.

but i agree with most, there is no need to restate what most of you have alreay outlined. it will be downward trend if they dont get it together and it could of gone either way like sureshot stated

One other minor comment. This is just a VAGUE big picture comment. FUNDAMENTALLY, I think this is NOT a main issue of MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. I think this is far more an issue of QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY.

In all fairness, if you read through all the previous posts, I really feel the UNDERLYING issue at hand that's behind everything is the deer/herd quality issues (and keeping Iowa the best). (yes, on the surface I hear the money debate and understand the issue- both sides!). IF the state only cared about money, they could do 100 different things to rake it in- the COULD double the NR tags and keep the tags at $500 and they would DOUBLE their income compared to now. IF you want to see a state focused on MONEY over QUALITY, go across the river to ILLINOIS.

*Still saying I come down in the middle here and see both sides BUT I just wanted to voice that I think this is far more a "Quality" issue in regards to IA deer, hunting and top notch hunting - IMO.

I agree Skip, they are raising cause they need more money, but the way they did it shows they are still looking at the quailty of the animals. They could have easily kept the same prices and doubled the amount of NR tag's and filled them all this year anyways, but if the quailty declines after a few years of that then they may not fill them all.

I just wish MO would do something like that for NR's.

Why is this????????

I don't see any many mature bucks in MO that I do in IA. My farm is 2.38 miles from the line and there is a difference between the 2 states. More bucks in MO get popped at a younger age, gun pressure during the rut, come one come all for tags etc. The genetics, soil types, crops etc are no different from where I hunt 7 miles away in IA... but dang I see a TON more mature deer in IA.

When MO had a public vote to move the season....I voted for the December guns instead. :)

no matter what, everyone is going to argue about the price raises...as residents, we will see the increase next year...my question is, why dont the people that use hiking trails, bike trails, and parks for recreation get charged?? Why is it us the hunter that pay for all of that stuff, and everyone else that doesnt get to use the public areas. I dont get that..lets not sit here and fight about non resident vs resident..we should be looking at the fact that the state should look into the other areas of the outdoors to get people to help front the bills, not just the hunters

my question is, why dont the people that use hiking trails, bike trails, and parks for recreation get charged?? Why is it us the hunter that pay for all of that stuff, and everyone else that doesnt get to use the public areas. I dont get that..lets not sit here and fight about non resident vs resident..we should be looking at the fact that the state should look into the other areas of the outdoors to get people to help front the bills, not just the hunters

Hunting is viewed as a "consumptive" event. You take something out of the woods when you leave (if you were lucky) where hikers leave the trail like they were never there. I know, weak argument but one you probably hear. The horse riders actually leave more behind.:grin:

FWIW, and I'm not sure anyone cares, but I am thinking of skipping my IA hunt this year and will opt for just KS and a hunt out west somewhere. I guess it does boil down to the dollars somewhat. On the public land in IA that I hunt, I don't personally see the motivation to spend the extra cash when I can hunt elsewhere at a discount and have slightly less to a similar experience. It's not all about big bucks for me and I will be happy with a 140 class buck in most any other state. No offense to anyone here, but thats just my current opinion (subject to daily change). :)

What I am wondering is..... can I skip the PP application (save 50$...ouch)this year or will I lose my PP's?

I already have 3 points and will likely draw if I decide to go this year or next.

It is said that we are heading the way of European hunting more and more every year.

Your opinion may vary and thats fine.

Hunting is viewed as a "consumptive" event. You take something out of the woods when you leave (if you were lucky) where hikers leave the trail like they were never there. I know, weak argument but one you probably hear. The horse riders actually leave more behind.:grin:

The horse riders should get some compenstation for what they leave behind :grin:

I'm not rich but do very well in my career but MY common financial sense tells me it's time to stay on my side of the line instead of stepping over like I've done for the past 7 years of hunting Iowa. I'll miss the hunting, the conversations and joking around, the few beers and great tasting tenderlions that were the most important part of every trip! The occasional big rack was great but...get the idea guys?

No disrespect here, but I think this is being blown out of perspective. Fees have gone up roughy $100 and equates to less than the price of a Happy Meal per month. It shouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

or

I don't know how much your trips have cost, but I have studied how much mine will cost which should be around $1100-1200 hunting public land, renting a cabin available at some of the state parks, and driving from my state of Ga. It's less than a 10% increase of your entire costs.

Last years total fees was $424, if I am correct and I think I am, which included Anysex/Anydeer tag, hunting license, and habitat fee. So technically its only an increase of $120, unless someone knows otherwise.

Last edited:
What I am wondering is..... can I skip the PP application (save 50$...ouch)this year or will I lose my PP's?

Yes and you will retain your PP's untill you draw a tag. Skipping a year has no bearing unless the law is changed.

FWIW, The old pricing, $10/PP, was in effect as of Monday when I purchased mine. The prices will change when the governor signs the new changes in law, which could happen at anyday. All of last year's prices are in effect untill that happens so early bird gets rewarded in this case.

Last edited:
I would be curious to see if the number of applicants decrease after the price increase. If it decreases significantly I believe that some of you are correct that we will end up with what we dont want, only the richer applicants getting the tags and after a while they might get tag every other year or every year, which will only make what we are complaining about worse, such as land prices and leasing.

I would be curious to see if the number of applicants decrease after the price increase. If it decreases significantly I believe that some of you are correct that we will end up with what we dont want, only the richer applicants getting the tags and after a while they might get tag every other year or every year, which will only make what we are complaining about worse, such as land prices and leasing.

Good point Tim,

I know that was the driving force for me not choosing to cash in on my two preference points this year. I will have to read up, but does anyone know off hand if I lose the 2 preference points from not applying this year??

Yes and you will retain your PP's untill you draw a tag. Skipping a year has no bearing unless the law is changed.

FWIW, The old pricing, $10/PP, was in effect as of Monday when I purchased mine. The prices will change when the governor signs the new changes in law, which could happen at anyday. All of last year's prices are in effect untill that happens so early bird gets rewarded in this case.

Did you purchase your PP online?? I do not see that option yet online.

I'm still jealous that Kansas won't treat their residents with the same respect Iowa does.

I am hoping that MO follows suit. I have hunted with quite a few IA guys that like the thought of hunting with a rifle...and they get to hunt every single year if they want to for less than 1/2 what it would cost me for a year and I may get to come up every third year.

No disrespect here, but I think this is being blown out of perspective. Fees have gone up roughy $100 and equates to less than the price of a Happy Meal per month. It shouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

or

I don't know how much your trips have cost, but I have studied how much mine will cost which should be around $1100-1200 hunting public land, renting a cabin available at some of the state parks, and driving from my state of Ga. It's less than a 10% increase of your entire costs.

Buckstop, I think your correct for the most part. There just seems to be something wrong with the whole situation that I object to in principal. However, I could easily make an extra 250$ per hunt happen, but where does it stop? It wasnt that long ago that the license was under 200$. Given that there are other options that are more reasonable yet.....thats the road my head is steering me towards.

I haven't killed an antelope or mule deer with archery gear yet and I can probably do both of these for the 700$ you'd have tied up getting another WT tag.

IA has the right to set their tag price according to supply and demand. The consumer has the right to go bargain shopping as well. Its really nothing worth bickering about. Actions will speak loader than words when dealing with buearocratics.

Another point, I would not want to run out all the NR's...they surely bring in some pretty good money at times to local businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Top Bottom