Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off Topic Legislation - Texting & Driving

Iowabowtech

Not sure if anyone cares but the newest derivative of the "texting while driving" bill passed the Senate today with an amendment to now include reading text on a cell phone also. Now it will get kicked back to the House in it's new form as HF 2456.

I realize texting/driving may not be the best idea but the inclusion of reading seems to be over the top. Talk about opening doors to incrementalism. What about messing with CD's, double checking grocery lists, reading of maps etc? Isn't that the same as reading the text on a phone? GPS devices are excluded as a matter of disclosure.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there in case anybody feels the desire to contact their House Rep.

More stupid laws

We already have a law called reckless driving. If a cop sees you doing something hazardous he writes you a ticket. So why do we have to micro analyze it? If we keep on we won't be able to drive anything but an automatic transmission because gosh darn you have to take your hand off the wheel to shift. So I don't have a problem with someone using a cell if they aren't being an idiot. Yeah I can walk and chew gum at the same time. The most dangerous thing I've seen is people drinking Big Gulps and as they tip them up the cup totally blocks their vision. So if I have my car under control I should be legal. If I don't I should get a ticket. I think simple is best and we don't loose our freedom. :thrwrck:

What about messing with CD's, double checking grocery lists, reading of maps etc?

This is exactly why I believe this bill is rediculous. I'm not big on texting so if this passes it's not gonna affect me much. How many times have you seen someone driving with their knees while they wolf down a big mac or some lady fixing their hair or putting on lipstick in the miror? If you're gonna ban texting or reading texts, etc. you better ban any act that's gonna take your eyes and concentration off the road. Like pastorpotluck already said, we have reckless driving laws, so why do we need another law telling us what we can and cannot do?

Just as long as they don't ban texting from a treestand I should be alright though. Who knows it might be next:rolleyes:

we have laws against beating the crap out of someone, but then we also have "hate crimes" if you beat the crap out of certain people. this country can't help but over legislate itself. instead of enforcing the current law, lets make new ones...that can't/won't be enforced

I don't like someone driving while eating a Big Mac, or drinking Big Gulp's either! Fortunately this isn't a widespread problem. Unfortunately cellphone use and texting is. Ever look around you when you sit at a busy stop light? It scares the shit out of me! Some of these kids don't even look old enough to drive, and they already can chew gum, comb their hair, text, and drive all at the same time! At what point in our life did it become so dam important to be in contact with another person? I guess i slept that day.

I guess I have yet to pull up next to a younger person at a stop light and see them doing anything but texting, The heck with CWD this thing is an epidemic, The point I believe they are trying to get out is there are thousands of younger drivers causing accidents while texting of messing with there phones, often times killing the other party involved. I have been on a few of these calls and it does happen. That is the first thing the troopers check from a younger person is there phone to see when thier last text was. Me personally the last person I want to meet coming at me at 55mph is some one reading a text, book, grocery list, map, etc. I hope like hell they are paying attention. Untill you see someones kid, wife, husband, etc smashed in a bloody wreakage due to the negligence of some one who could't wait to talk to thier friends when they arrived, I guess it doesnt effect people untill they have seen it first hand.
Like mentioned above when did it become so important to keep in contact with people all the time. " like hold on Brittany I need to wipe" LOL

I can walk and chew gum at the same time but that doesn't put other peoples lives in danger. I think it will be enforced when you have an accident then they pull your phone records and find out that you were texting.

Common sense is getting less common!

I'm in agreement with you scottonbuck, this isn't "the man" simply trying to hold us down this is/has beena problem for awhile now. Put your damn phone/newspaper/book down and if it's so important, PULL OVER.

I understand the counterpoints guys but where does it end? Would anyone think it would be out of line to ban eating and drinking (legal beverages) in a vehicle? Seems likely that would be one of the next things offered up.

Where have we gone so wrong that we can't govern ourselves with common sense but instead we need laws to regulate and restrict every single thing we do in our lives? I'm almost wondering when they're going to tell me how long I can take a piss.

We have become a society that fully expects to be regulated in our everyday lives. It's the new normal. Each new law like this restricts the individual and their need to think for themselves and increases the power of the government and it's dominance. And the sad thing is, we the people, are doing this to ourselves through our elected officials. Somehow, I just don't think this is what the founding fathers had in mind when they developed the system of checks and balances.

Anybody ever heard the phrase..."whatever happened to common sense in this country"? Maybe even said it yourself? Common sense becomes a rare commodity when we legislate ourselves to death like this. I think there becomes a sort of philosophy that if it's not illegal, then it must be ok. No need for common sense when you have an all knowing government to make all the decisions and let you know what is acceptable by way of laws. The ultimate reliance on government, giving up the brain.

I will now retake my place in the radical minority.

Maybe this isn't as big of a deal in more rural areas, but around Iowa City you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone doing something retarded behind the wheel of a car. What I love are the female asian students getting techy with it behind the wheel...

Oh my Word is it scary.

I have seen people doing all kinds of scary stuff behind the wheel from texting, putting make up on, blow drying their hair, and having the newspaper open driving down the interstate. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they banned texting while driving. Wasn't that girl that was killed in West Des Moines a year or two ago messing with her phone and didn't pay attention to the sirens and got flattened by a fire truck? I agree common sense is involved but I think it is getting to be a pretty big problem that needs to be dealt with.

Well said Iowabowtech.

Put your damn phone/newspaper/book down and if it's so important, PULL OVER.

Exactly as you said muddy. Put down all these things and pay attention to driving. 4 or 5years ago I was rear ended by a lady who admitted to hitting me because she had reached down to the floor board to pick up a cd she dropped. The officer told me she would be charged with reckless driving. This is the same thing that should happen to someone who causes an accident while texting. Why do we need another law to do what another is already intended to do. Why make a law banning just one of the distractions some people regularly choose to engage themselves in while driving? It just doesn't make any sense.

A couple months ago I was following a semi truck that was all over the road. On the shoulder, back on the road, on the shoulder.............When I finally got past him I looked over to see what the hell his problem was.........the moron was working his cell phone. I gave him the single finger salute, but he was too busy punching buttons to see me.

On Jan 1, 2010 my company went to a no talking / texting while driving ban. I can understand the texting but the talking really sucks. I have bluetooth in my truck that works like a champ but can't use it. It's hard to get work done anymore when you put 20-25hours a week in driving. There has been a big loss in productivity. Oh well I guess, I bought a woodhaven Copperhead II and brushing up on mouth calling skills. :)

People just don't use common sense any more.

The mind thought is that won't happen to me.

Oh I almost hit that car......Jimmy just sent me a message.

I say again common sense is not that common.

If people won't use their head what do expect.

If I was an officer I would love writing tickets fore texting!

I'll be extra careful to avoid texting when driving through the Clive red light traffic cameras just down the street. They might see me when they take my picture.

Top Bottom