Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off Topic Legislation - Texting & Driving

I understand the counterpoints guys but where does it end? Would anyone think it would be out of line to ban eating and drinking (legal beverages) in a vehicle? Seems likely that would be one of the next things offered up.

Where have we gone so wrong that we can't govern ourselves with common sense but instead we need laws to regulate and restrict every single thing we do in our lives? I'm almost wondering when they're going to tell me how long I can take a piss.

We have become a society that fully expects to be regulated in our everyday lives. It's the new normal. Each new law like this restricts the individual and their need to think for themselves and increases the power of the government and it's dominance. And the sad thing is, we the people, are doing this to ourselves through our elected officials. Somehow, I just don't think this is what the founding fathers had in mind when they developed the system of checks and balances.

Anybody ever heard the phrase..."whatever happened to common sense in this country"? Maybe even said it yourself? Common sense becomes a rare commodity when we legislate ourselves to death like this. I think there becomes a sort of philosophy that if it's not illegal, then it must be ok. No need for common sense when you have an all knowing government to make all the decisions and let you know what is acceptable by way of laws. The ultimate reliance on government, giving up the brain.

I will now retake my place in the radical minority.
I would be all for a ban on eating and drinking while driving a vehicle. Did anybody take drivers ed? And on what day did they teach you how to steer with your knees while performing other acts? Laws need to be enacted when common sense no longer exists. Hell; i wish every vehicle sold was a manual shift. Maybe that would get rid of some of the morons behind the wheel. If one person dies on our hyways because it's our God given right to text; we need to rethink what our rights to protect really are! Again; when did it become so damn important to contact another person while operating a motor vehicle!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen women driving 65-70 mph on a busy interstate looking in their rearview mirror and putting on eye make-up. That's worse than talking on a cell phone any day but you don't see them calling for a ban on make-up application. :(

I didnt real all the replies because I'm driving but...How can they prove you are texting and driving? If you were smart you would shut your phone off. Put it in your pocket. What are they gonna do, get you out of the car, pat you down, get your phone, and start looking through it to find evidence!?!?

I didnt real all the replies because I'm driving but...How can they prove you are texting and driving? If you were smart you would shut your phone off. Put it in your pocket. What are they gonna do, get you out of the car, pat you down, get your phone, and start looking through it to find evidence!?!?

Its more of a tool to prosecute those that have been in an accident and caused bodily harm, death, or property damage. Before hand they could do nothing more than call it an accident. No they can check phone records and make the person responsible for their actions. Just like drinking and driving, You can still drink all you want you just cant drive while doing so or while under the influence. You can still text all you want just not while you are driving. If you choose to do so and it results in an accident you will have reprecussions depending on the situation.
If your drunk and kill some one you can be charged with vehicular homicide, As it stands now if you have your face into the phone and your head up your duff while texting and kill some one it is a minor traffic violation. End result some one is dead.
I guess some people fail to see this could happen to them or thier loved ones untill it does and then they want changes.
Im pretty biased on this as I have responded to several fatalities and have seen some people killed do to someone's negligence.
Not picking on you sofakingfast just using your question to explain how the legilature, troopers etc. see how this law will help.

Also as the talk of rights goes, it is not a right to drive an automobile it is a privelage of abiding the laws that are set forth to the RESPONSIBILITY of driving.
I caps RESPONSIBILITY as to that is what should be the most important thing to consider while driving, not the damn phone, book, etc.

I guess what I was getting at in the previous post is to put your self in that situation what if it was your wife, child, mother, father, etc that was killed by some one that was texting while driving down the highway at 70mph instead of doing what they were supposed to be doing, driving. Would you want that person to be responsible for their actions, or would you shrug it off and say they have the right to text whenever they want. Well all I can say is that dead person had more of a right to live than the living person who killed them has a right to text while driving.
Just my biased opinion trying to shine some light on the other side of the issue as opposed to some sort of goverment take over.
As for the traffic cameras go they are BS thats what they pay cops for.

I guess what I was getting at in the previous post is to put your self in that situation what if it was your wife, child, mother, father, etc that was killed by some one that was texting while driving down the highway at 70mph instead of doing what they were supposed to be doing, driving. Would you want that person to be responsible for their actions

i believe, they would be found guilty of negligence, due to reckless driving. reckless driving is already against the law

If one person dies on our hyways because it's our God given right to text; we need to rethink what our rights to protect really are! Again; when did it become so damn important to contact another person while operating a motor vehicle!

I agree. I think some of us have forgotten what life was like 10 yrs ago, you know, when people could exist without sending one line texts to their pals all day long. It actually passed as alaw here a month or two ago despite the fact that the reckless/dangerous driving laws were already in place.

I definitely understand the law and I think it's great. I hope people follow it. ( I was kidding about reading these post while driving).

Years ago I went to a party, or on a date, or something....with this girl and we were on river road between Nauvoo and Hamilton. Heading to Keokuk. She was driving and text her friend to tell her we were on the way. She went from one lane, across the other, and scraped a gaurdrail. It sucked her in and she rode it for about 50 feet. It took a split second for her to be from one lane to the guard rail. She was so involved into the phone. She could of had me text the girl. Damn. Crazy blonde.

To all that are for this bill, I'm assuming you are also for banning the making and receiving of calls too? If I use my phone's keypad to dial xxx-xxx-xxxx + the send button, how is that different from texting? If a person causes an accident while making a call it's ok under this bill. Are you guys who are onboard with this thing OK with that?

Now, we also need to address Ipods do we not? Certainly anyone against texting couldn't condone navigating through song lists and other associated menus on a similar electronic device while driving.

As mentioned, GPS units have been allowed but this should not be the case. I own a Garmin and it's user interface is MUCH more difficult to get through than is a familiar phone keypad. Now ideally, a person would input info before they start a trip but we can't guarantee that right? Sometimes a guy needs to make changes on the fly. So they need to be banned also in order to stay consistent.

I had to go around a lady yesterday on the interstate. She was texting while getting on the Interstate. I was right behind her wondering why she was going so slow. Traffic all around. I pass her on the left, her cell phone at the steering wheel thumb going like crazy, she wasn't even paying attention. Driving some big old SUV.

Every time I have a problem with a driver and pass, yep they are on their cell phones.

If you need to talk, thats fine, just do it hands free, keep your eyes on the road PLEASE!

I know firsthand how any little distraction can cause an accident. About 20 years ago, when I was just a kid (early 20's). I was driving down the highway and reached down to pick up my checkbook that was on the floorboard. Eyes were off the road for maybe 2 seconds. Came up over a hill and there was traffic backed up. I swerved into the passing lane and then to the shoulder to avoid on-coming traffic. The rock shoulder sucked me down into the ditch and I rolled my Jeep 2 1/2 times and totaled it. No-one else was involved thankfully.

Putting in a CD, or taking your eyes off the road, It only takes a second to cause an accident.

Last edited:
To all that are for this bill, I'm assuming you are also for banning the making and receiving of calls too? If I use my phone's keypad to dial xxx-xxx-xxxx + the send button, how is that different from texting? If a person causes an accident while making a call it's ok under this bill. Are you guys who are onboard with this thing OK with that?

Now, we also need to address Ipods do we not? Certainly anyone against texting couldn't condone navigating through song lists and other associated menus on a similar electronic device while driving.

As mentioned, GPS units have been allowed but this should not be the case. I own a Garmin and it's user interface is MUCH more difficult to get through than is a familiar phone keypad. Now ideally, a person would input info before they start a trip but we can't guarantee that right? Sometimes a guy needs to make changes on the fly. So they need to be banned also in order to stay consistent.
Ever hear of bluetooth? Mike Rowe can hook you up in a Ford!

I guess I'll respond to being for the bill.....but however here making and receiving calls are also illegal unless you are pulled to the side of the road so it would make sense to include sending and receiving calls while moving illegal too. Hands free devices are perfectly legal and sensible.

I guess the "they already have dangerous driving legislation" just doesn't make a whole pile of sense to me. They already had it before it was illegal to operate a vehicle while impaired so would that make that law an infringment on our rights?

Maybe I'm just a fuddy duddy that sees the everchanging world of technology as not always a good thing. My wife seems to find texting as amusing as a teenage girl would and I will confess it to be a sore spot. However, I am the guy that has no problem in telling someone it's time to part ways for the day if they cannot keep off their cell phone, if they need to be in constant touch with someone slse maybe they should be in their presence???

Last edited:
Top Bottom