Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One to Worry About

Scott

Here is an email I got from the IBA today for those that dont recieve them. This is the one we should be worried about.

Subject: New DNR Director & Nonresident Tags

Senator Dearden just pulled me aside and said he had talked with the new DNR Director Lande. He indicated that Lande is supportive of increasing the nonresident tags. Lande is supposed to be in the SNRC meeting today at 3.
A meeting with new Director should be scheduled ASAP to get his position first hand and then if necessary let our members provide their opinions to him.
It's probably a good time for members to touch bases with their legislators to provide input on items of importance to them - nonresident any-sex tags, the size of the herd, feeding & baiting, etc. When the issues come up, their legislators should know what the members positions are.
Don

I support the increase in tags of one per year. I'll take it.

Heck what's 6001 instead of 6000????

I see your point. By 2111 we are up to 6100. My bad on the incrementalism thing. I'll go back to my corner and wait another three years.

from what I understand the increase would be 6000 extra NR tags. This could be detrimental to Iowa. I understand the DNR needs extra funding, but we need to put our heads together and come with a way for them to achieve their goal. With the extra 6000 tags this state is going to become the ugly step sister to Illinois. Hello Outfitters! Voice your opinions folks and make them loud!

This is a quote from Mr. Lande published in the Muscatine Journal after his appointment.

"We will try to market it and make it an even better one," he added. "I don't think we market what Iowa has to offer in outdoor recreation and hunting and fishing.

Question I have is why isn't this post getting near the attention the "baiting and feeding" one is?

Question I have is why isn't this post getting near the attention the "baiting and feeding" one is?

That's what I was thinking. For some reason I have a really bad feeling that some changes are going to be made this year. I'm praying they won't but this could be a major game changer.

But you are OK with the 3 buck tag limit for residents?

Most residents are fine with it. As long as THEY are doing the killing, it is all good, right? As an out of stater I would rather see the price go up than the number of tags. Supply and demand. Jack the price up until they almost don't sell out.

But you are OK with the 3 buck tag limit for residents?

As long as its a law, I will continue to try and kill 2 bucks a year, but I for one, would not care if they made it 1 buck a year.

For landowners, it also wouldn't bother me to do an earn a buck tag, by killing a few doe's, if we were a 1 buck limit state. I know I'll get flamed for this comment. :grin:

Most residents are fine with it. As long as THEY are doing the killing, it is all good, right? As an out of stater I would rather see the price go up than the number of tags. Supply and demand. Jack the price up until they almost don't sell out.

if the price goes up anymore, the only non-residents that would be able to afford to hunt iowa are those that would probably either buy land or lease up land to hunt in iowa. as an out of stater, i dont want to see the price go up anymore, the iowa dnr already nickel and dimes us enough with having to buy a tag you dont have to fill or $50 for a preference point.

Simply double the number of doe tags and increase the 2 or 3 buck limit to 4 or 5 for resident hunters and resident landowners. That is a legitimate solution and should meet the DNR's goals.

I get 3 buck tags but I have only killed 1 buck in the last 3 years while looking for the one. Most landowners just like to hunt every season and like being out on the land, but they don't fill every tag. And on the jump in non resident tags thats what happens when they put an engineer who "likes" to hunt in charge of a biology division. The department has its own engineers on hand if they ever need one. Just my take on it.

A new Administration, and a hole of $$ that needs to be filled. What did we think would happen?Someone told me the New Govenor proposed yearly stickers for using State Parks. One source of funding I think should happen. Anyone heard that?

Look, I'm an Iowa boy living in Minnesota. My earlier post was joking of course. I hate waiting every three years to be able to hunt my own home state, but look at it this way. If the state was taken over by outfitters and so much of the land was leased up because of 12,000 nonresident tags, I would lose my interest in coming back. I hunt Iowa for the quality of the hunt and because I know so many people there. Raising tag prices are NOT the way to go, all you do is exclude the ones you want coming to hunt and bring in more of the ones you do not want.

Raising the number of nonresident tags by any significant amount is going to BACKFIRE! 1,000-2,000 more may not matter that much but you start getting up around 10,000 nonresidents and you are shooting yourself in the foot. It is going to hurt everyone involved.

Top Bottom