Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One to Worry About

I'm a landowner and had three tags last year never filled a one of them but I know of at least five bucks that were more then likely two and a half years old that were taken on public ground within a mile radius of my place by NRs. Now I'm not complaining these bucks were all taken legally and the hunters did it right had a good time and had a great trip hats off to them it's what it is all about I actually keep in contact with one of them and have made several good friends that are NRs through the years that come hunt public ground next to me. But whats worse on our trophy hunting me being able to get an extra tag to go enjoy what I work so hard to pay for and enjoy or adding more NR tags? In eleven years I can think of one year were I filled all three tags.

bloodhound...NR's get 6,000 tags, last I saw Iowa res bought what 300,000 or more...no way in the world can NR's have an impact on what is harvested. I've seen pickups w/IA plates and tractors with buckets full of deer. You may not be filling your 3 but Joe Schmuck down the road just did.

bloodhound...NR's get 6,000 tags, last I saw Iowa res bought what 300,000 or more...no way in the world can NR's have an impact on what is harvested. I've seen pickups w/IA plates and tractors with buckets full of deer. You may not be filling your 3 but Joe Schmuck down the road just did.
thats true but not every Joe Schmuck is a landowner and you have to realise that party shotgun hunting has been going on here for a lot of years before the debut of the outdoor channel and when Iowa was put in the spotlight they were filling pickups twenty years ago and hopefully twenty years from now as well. I guess my point was aimed at the fact that landowners getting three tags doesn't hurt anything adding more NR tags is not a good answer

I'm not getting all this how many bucks so and so can kill in a years time. How many people on this site know of a buck slayer, and by buck slayer i mean someone who kills two to three bucks consistantly every year. For many years in the 70's into the early 80's you could only kill one buck a year. You had to send your money for shotgun season in June. If you shot a buck with a bow, you could only shoot an antlerless deer during shotgun. So i; like many other bowhunters i knew back then didn't gun hunt. That was when our deer herd was much lower than today. We still have to remember that the bucks can not be born if the does are killed.

How many people on this site know of a buck slayer, and by buck slayer i mean someone who kills two to three bucks consistantly every year.

There's a good number of them that frequent this site.........

so does this make me a bad person since I kill 2 bucks during a given year, I dont shoot small ones and if a nice one doesnt come by then I will eat the tag no big deal. I know of only a hand full of guys that consistantly kill 2 bucks a year. Most are lucky to kill one. So regardless of how many buck tags a resident can get it has no impact if not filled. I like to hunt with both my bow and muzzleloader and as a law abiding resident i am privelaged to do so. It is not a right and can be adjusted need be. But bag limits dont mean squat if the game is not there to fill the limit. I mean heck they could say you could shoot 10 deer a day everyday but I doubt you could count on killing 10 deer everyday for very long. The point is you could sell a million tags but your not going to kill a million deer if they dont exist. Once they dont exist people will quit buying them. Look at pheasant numbers Iowa USED be a top destination for pheasant hunters but now that they are gone do to a number of reasons license sales have dropped ten fold. The bag limit on roosters is 3 per day and I havent seen three all year so I dont go.
The dnr relying on the limited resources to fund there ever growing budget is JACK. They need to get the sustanable funding trust up and going to take some pressure off our limited resources. Instead of them marketing deer they should be marketing the new sustanable funding amendment to relive their budgeting issue. Just a rambling thought.

Last edited:
There's a good number of them that frequent this site.........

But you cant judge the whole state from the small number of die hard fanatics that prowl on this site. I think that is where a lot of misconceptions are taken. Comparing this site as what happens in the whole state. After all we members are small percentage of the total number of hunters statewide.

But you cant judge the whole state from the small number of die hard fanatics that prowl on this site. I think that is where a lot of misconceptions are taken. Comparing this site as what happens in the whole state. After all we members are small percentage of the total number of hunters statewide.

A lot of misconceptions about Iowa come from this site and others like it. There are some real dedicated hunters on this board, many of those also own property or have access to very good property.

A lot of misconceptions about Iowa come from this site and others like it. There are some real dedicated hunters on this board, many of those also own property or have access to very good property.

Hillrunner you took the word right out of my mouth. Maybe every one ought to listen to the President and put more civility back into our lives and relationships. Res and Nonres can live together peacefully right. I know a ton of both and they all share the same simple interest and enjoyment.

JJ ...them filthy rich people out there aren't all NR's, no matter how much you'd like to believe that. And if Uncle Joe decides to sell his farm and Joe Blow will give him more $$ than the next guy, he won't care who he is getting it from. Supply and demand...last I saw 99.5% of Iowa farmland was privately owned.And I'll bet those that invest the $$ for hunting habitat whether res or non-res put plenty into making that habitat darn nice. They aren't tearing it up from fencerow to fencerow...I pretty much think that improves Iowa habitat and a lot of hunters reap the benefit from it.

Listen I don't think filthy rich people are bad people nor nonresidents. Like I said it's the nature of the beast. Somebody will always have enough money. But if you think we should just sit back and let our deer hunting go down the tubes your crazy.

And I still can't figure out how this thread got all turned around. Shooting multiple bucks has nothing to do with more nr tags. It's about being able to find a property to hunt on. I talk to a ton of nr every year and believe me when I say there is a ton of people that don't live in Iowa and are chomping at the bit for these laws to change so they can either buy or lease ground here.

Back to shooting multiple bucks. I can shoot two deer per year but how many bucks have I killed in the past 6 years. 2 yeah I've killed 2 bucks in the past 6 years. I hunt good farms and would consider myself a good hunter. So don't think every resident is out there shooting the sh!! out of all these bucks.

Iowa didn't get to be the best deer hunting state in the country for allowing residents to only shoot 1 buck per year. We got there for several reasons and one is because of very limited nr tags.

Hillrunner you took the word right out of my mouth. Maybe every one ought to listen to the President and put more civility back into our lives and relationships. Res and Nonres can live together peacefully right. I know a ton of both and they all share the same simple interest and enjoyment.

Good Post!! :way: Anyone own Iowa deer?????????

If you guys want to go after the biggest problem you have with Deer hunting in YOUR state and ALL states for that matter you need to look at and fear the Automobile Insurance Companies. They lobby your politicians spending millions upon millions to get the Deer herds reduced through out the country. Quit the fighting among ourselves [Which the ANTI'S Love] and look at the REAL PROBLEM!!!!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom