Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening weekend plans...

turtlshell

PMA Member
Anyone have one patterned that they plan on getting after this weekend?...or going out to just be out?...maybe someone meat hunting/herd thinning?

Seems like every year someone whacks a hawg in the first week. Some that stick out in my memory. Larry Zach's big bowkill in the early season last year. It made an awesome 2week story on midwestwhitetail last year. Lee Lakosky downed a huge buck real early last year too...mainframe 8 with 9 kickers, or something like that.

I don't have anything nailed down to a pattern like those guys, but I'm still going to give it a whirl this weekend (evening's only). Since my hunting grounds are 2.5hrs away, I'm actually using the mid-day this weekend to check trailcams and setup two more stands. The food sources in my areas are primarily limited to acorns and apples during this time. Since I don't have permission to hunt in peoples backyards I can factor out the apple sources:D

My expectations aren't very high...I'm just hoping I can catch one of my hit-listers still on his late summer pattern (i.e. walking past my treestand). Really looking forward to a few good sits and taking it all in.

We've got a couple bucks patterned and are going to try it this weekend. Nothing real big, but big enough for us. Hopefully we can bring one of them down. If not, we will leave that farm alone until November. Mid-day will also be used to move trail cams around and double check some of our other stand setups for bow ropes, limbs, etc...

I don't have any high expectations either and I have to work opening day. I think I'll still be able to make it out in the afternoon... I guess the only hope I have is maybe farmers have pushed enough deer around taking the corn out that maybe something bigger than my slough of 2.5 yr olds will show up.

As of now they are calling for South southeast winds, at least for SE IA. Ofcourse that may change between now and then. I need a westerly wind for my good stands so looks like I'll be hunting a field edge hoping to get lucky.

I plan on killing the world record!!! Been planning that the last 20 years now.

I like your attitude! Nothing wrong with setting the bar high. :way: Hope it happens for ya.

My goal for opening day is to get my girlfriend her first buck. I have a awesome brassica plot that has about 10 different bucks using it every evening. Nothing huge, but a couple 130 class deer that would be awesome for her to sit behind. I am just looking forward to being back in a stand! Good luck to all of you!

No high hopes here. My goal is simply to get out and spend a few hours of peace and quite. I hope to see a few deer but I have no intentions of filling either my buck or doe tags.

With two little girls under the age of 4 at home, I am simply looking forward to hearing my own thoughts.

Good luck this weekend guys, I'm hoping to see some great pictures next Monday!

This will be first season in Iowa. I am a basically a meat hunter, though I think I will have enough days in the woods this year to at least be able to let a smaller buck walk. Will be on public land. I put my stand out this past weekend in what should be an ok funnel, but I don't really know the area yet. I also have some woods in Ohio that I will hunt in November, so I am super excited for the 1st to get here and get the year started. I will be up the tree early, and plan to stay there most of the day.

Hope my stand is still there......

No high hopes here. My goal is simply to get out and spend a few hours of peace and quite. I hope to see a few deer but I have no intentions of filling either my buck or doe tags.

With two little girls under the age of 4 at home, I am simply looking forward to hearing my own thoughts.

Good luck this weekend guys, I'm hoping to see some great pictures next Monday!

I hear ya there.:way:

I plan on throwing the old LW and sticks on my back early Sunday morning and start walking. Wherever I end up when it starts cracking light, I will set up. I am sure I won't see squat but really don't care. In the evening I plan on whacking a doe somewhere.

Hope to get out Sunday. High hopes and low expectations. Never shot one at my house, that is the only thing I know for sure.

I just want to survive till Monday. The Bonker is coming to the Stabbin Cabin to try and fill a doe tag again. Two main goals, fill the freezer and not scare every buck out of the county. Oh, and have a lot of fun around the campfire again.

I just got home from a 21 day on-the-road stretch and have a lot of catching up to do. Still have a few stands to get put up and clear out. Plus a month and a half of work to do so I can take November off. Plus my baby sister is getting married... (Who gets married in October????? In the words of Peter Griffin, C'mon... C'MON...) The next two weeks are gonna be busy...

Might get out an evening or two, but no guarantees until later during the third week... CAN"T WAIT!!

My only chance to hunt this weekend is Sunday evening. With the temps and cruddy wind direction, I may just let the bugs have the stand for this weekend and sit on the gravel with the Bino's again this weekend.

Does are getting the year off from me this year. Only seen a handful last year and me no likey that.. Bucks or tag soup for me this year..

The hit list has been formed. Going out after a patterned buck Sat morning, then the afternoon set on the edge of some beans and see what happens. Not expecting much, just need to get out and relax.

Top Bottom