Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd, I have nothing against technology. I have been running cameras since camtrakker came out with their first trailcamera and you were still in diapers. I agree with you that the whole scent elimination thing is a crock. From what I have heard from guys that use it, the ozonics may be worth the money but whats the big mystery to be addressed about useing one in a blind? That would be the one application I could see that could be helpfull. I understand you are trying to make it in the hunting video industry but there are no shortcuts. Sometimes the deer win,thats hunting. I get it that you have the pressure to get the kill and move on. A friend of mine does video work every year on my place for H.S., N.A. Whitetail and In Pursuit so I see every year the stress of making it come together on schedule, but I dont think there are any alternatives to a good set up and playing the wind.If indeed you could fool the deers senses whenever you hunted how much fun would that be?

but whats the big mystery to be addressed about useing one in a blind?

Direct inhalation of ozone is hazardous to your health. I'm guessing they need to find a way to make it effective while exhausting the ozone out of the blind.

In a treestand it's not so bad because as Todd says, it's blowing out in front of you.

If a deer winds me, lesson learned. I guess I am in it to gain knowledge from my mistakes, not use everything out there to help me. The smarter I get by my mistakes, the better hunter I am..IMO.. It would make you start hunting bad winds because you think it works... I guess I dont buy it, and never will purchase one... Sorry

Bloodhoundhandler - I understand how you feel about mature bucks. I've been winded by many over the years. I have had a dozen or more bucks between 4-1/2 and 7-1/2 (give or take, tough to tell) straight downwind while using Ozonic's (with a cameraman in the tree). The reaction of a big mature whitetail is always unique to that animal. They are just a different bird as you know. The reaction ranges from absolutely no reaction at all (not even lifting their nose), to a weirded out reaction, to a cautious curiousity. Regardless, when they are weirded out by this "new smell", considering it's likely the first time they've encountered it in their lives, the effects are NOTHING like when a big mature buck catches human scent. Believe me I know when I've been winded. There is no hiding the muscular contraction that goes through a whitetails body when you've just been had.

With that being said, even if a mature buck will get slightly weirded out here and there, I'll take that over the alternative. The difference is night and day. They don't "hit the ground and fly" out of the area. It's almost like a "I don't like it, but it's not dangerous" type of a reaction. Some mature bucks, especially during the rut, could not care less. They actually get straight down-wind, lift their nose, and come straight into the stand to investigate WTF that smell or sensation is that they "feel/smell".

In-case you care (which I don't think you do), we have this documented on video time and time again over the past 3 years. I have 4-1/2, 5-1/2, and 6-1/2 year old deer reactions on our latest video "The Dark Side". Some of these reactions are also on our web show. Explain how we can fake a buck sniffing the wind and coming straight to our stand while looking up at us. This is NOT something 5-1/2 year old bucks do when they catch human scent. This is ALL on video, and the hunters name is Dallas Ft. Worth. The best Ozonic's promotion in the world when we can clearly show mature deer reacting to our scent by coming closer to investigate the strange new smell.

The HUGE factor that i consider to be the no-brainer for using Ozonic's is that when does get down wind, they DO NOT SNORT. They can be looking up at two of us in a bare-naked tree, straight down wind, walking circles around the stand for 30 minutes, and they won't blow. Tell me that doesn't change things. I can't freaking tell you how many hunts I typically had blown out because of these darned does. In 2010 we didn't get snorted at by a doe because we got winded once in 60 days of hunting. You can think what you want, but Ozonic's can and does beat their noses every freaking day we're in the field!

Last edited:
So Todd, here is a question... do you think the deer is going to associate this new "smell" with danger shortly and turn into the same thing?

If what Todd says is true, will one day any deer being killed with the help ozonics not be honored by certain clubs, such as with P & Y's policy regarding ligthed knocks. If it's true, this sounds like way less of a gray area than let off and lighted knocks.

Sorry Todd I am old school I guess to each his own thats why it is such a great country we live in. One thing I do agree with you on is that during the rut the old does are the noses you need to worry about good luck in all your ventures

No wonder all the deer are dying down in Southern Iowa. They are smelling Todd's ozonics... :) :) Just joking.

Fludgge - I don't think so. Reason being they have to make that association of "smell & danger". The association of "human & danger" is engrained in them from an early age when momma taught them it was a bad thing. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see, but thus far on my own farm, I've been using them for 2 years now and have better and better results (mostly because we learn more about how to better use them).

The biggest factor is the time of year. Durring the summer when out filming velvet footage you can get away with MURDER. They could care less, because they are not stressed. As the season progress's, as stresses increase into the late season, they become less and less tolerant of "strange" things. Late season, when a doe comes straight down-wind, they will usually leave the field because they are weirded out of it. But once again, they will NOT snort.

Weather and time of year effects the stress of deer more than human pressure or hunting pressure IMO. Ask any dairy farmer how temperture effects milk production and they'll tell you all about that.

I wouldn't know, I'm not out filming this time of year when they are having fawns. When I'm filming velvet footage in July/ August they are about as laid-back as you can get!

Todd after spending that much time in the summer shooting video you must know the deer have an incredible amount of stress from the bloodsucking bugs. Mosquitoes,flies, gnats, ticks and noseeums constantly attacking them. Granted their favorite food source, wide open soybean and alfalfa fields are one reason they are more visable but the stress from the bugs in the thick timber also makes them spend more time in fields, crp and water areas. That time of the year I think they are more concerned with eating and getting away from bugs than people though.

That time of the year I think they are more concerned with eating and getting away from bugs than people though.

This time of yr I see piles of deer bedding all day long in fields, even summerfallow fields despite the 10's of 1000's of acres of timber surrounding them, the above reason is why.

Ok, I'm not exactly trying to negotiate or argue about the stress's deer feel during different times of the year. The topic was Ozonic's and now I'm trying to explain what I BELIEVE is cause the different reacitions we see when using Ozonic's throughout the different times of the season.

I can tell you that in Iowa, in the fields on my properties, when viewing and filming deer in the late July / Early August months, I've had a PILE of big mature deer, straight down wind, and hardly pay attention to it. They do 2-3 nose lifts, shake the tail, go back to feeding. I attribute this reaction to they're "relaxed" state of being at this time of the year. This is also the time of year I also see deer "playing" in the fields. You don't see this type of behavior at any other time of the year, and I attribute it to stress - or lack there of. At least here, in SE Iowa, on the property that I hunt, during the late July or early August times of year.

I have no opinion regarding Ozonics and have never used it for that matter. The topic was if the product worked or not, asking for an opinion. Todd stated his opinion regarding the product from experience. Whether you like it or not, it is his opinion. If you personally do not care for the product, fine, but there is no need to rip someone apart for putting in their input.

shooter72-agreed, thanks for the input Todd!! Any other thoughts or reviews from anyone else, this is something I am strongly considering for next year as I'm on year 4 now with my "scent lock" clothing and it's time to either buy some new stuff or try this ozonics technology. I am a scent freak and believe strongly in a whitetails nose, I have not found a way to beat it yet but always looking to improve my chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom