Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pheasant hunting.

papajess

When you are road hunting for pheasants do you have to where orange when you get out of your truck to shoot them.

When you are road hunting for pheasants do you have to where orange when you get out of your truck to shoot them.
Who gets out of the truck to shoot? :confused:

All kidding aside, normal hunting attire rules apply to road hunting.

I walked well over 10+ miles in couple days at fams farm in NW Iowa over Christmas break. Pry 15 hours in. Maybe saw 60 birds??? I had to work so hard it was ridiculous. It bothered me to see mt fam doze in every last drop of cover except rare areAs (yes- still had 1500 Acres to walk, little cover) but I understand why they do it and it's not my land. I suppose my wife's land could b crp but it's 75 csr so I get it. It's rough hunting on avg farms!!! U think I may have talked them into 50 acres crp on some mediocre land!!! I sure miss the good old data but I pry burnt a billion calories!

In my opinion, unless you are physically unable to walk a fair distance or handicapped it gives the impression of a lazy hunter. That is why I would agree that it can give hunters a bad name. I don't personally see the fun in driving around until I see a rooster getting gravel off the road or sitting in a plum thicket and then getting out and hunting him. But again, my opinion and to each there own I guess.

In my opinion, unless you are physically unable to walk a fair distance or handicapped it gives the impression of a lazy hunter.

Similar to a bowhunter who runs high tech trail cameras that send pics with time and day stamp to their PC or phone?? Gives the impression of a lazy hunter who is looking for an easy way??

Personally, I walk a lot of waterways and CRP for pheasants, but if I'm driving from one field to the next and see one run into a road ditch in a safe and huntable location I'll go for it every time. Not lazy...just taking advantage of legal opportunities that are presented.

NWBuck

first off i know that the majiority of road hunters do it perfectly legal, but i know more than a couple farmers over the years that have had trouble with road hunters for tresspassing, shooting to close to buildings, and blocking the road . now what i am saying is that non hunters see this and automaticaly give hunters the "bad name".
the same goes for the few shotgun deer hunters, and coyote hunters that do things wrong. non hunting people especially the anti-hunters see this and automaticly put all of us in a catagory. thats basically all i was getting at.

Not debating this but have a question.... So, is this legal then? I assume it is, correct? Can you get out on any road (as long as far enough from buildings, not a hazard, etc) & shoot a pheasant within so many feet of the road? Just understanding the law. I'll always just walk my fam farms but curious.

road hunters are part of what gives all hunters a bad name!

In NW Iowa the only habitat is the road ditches and the occasional drainage ditch or fenceline. What little public land there is gets walked 3x per day from opening day until close. Slim pickings for the pheasant hunters in the State of Iowa. I haven't shot a pheasant out of a road ditch in the last ten years but don't think any less of those who have the desire to hunt the ditches as long as they keep adequate distance from houses and livestock. I'd bet there are more acres of public road ditch than all the other public hunting land in the State.

The funniest is seeing people deer hunt ditches. Probably would work great lol. I used to crow hunt ditches all the time.

Is there anything stating you LEGALLY have to wear orange to pheasant hunt? I've always been under the impression it was the hunters choice, but highly recommended for pheasant hunting. Naturally I'm always decked out in blaze orabge but I thought I had heard that once.

Is there anything stating you LEGALLY have to wear orange to pheasant hunt? I've always been under the impression it was the hunters choice, but highly recommended for pheasant hunting. Naturally I'm always decked out in blaze orabge but I thought I had heard that once.

Changed a few years back...now required.

NWBuck

Top Bottom