Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pheasant hunting.

Not debating this but have a question.... So, is this legal then? I assume it is, correct? Can you get out on any road (as long as far enough from buildings, not a hazard, etc) & shoot a pheasant within so many feet of the road? .
Yes it is legal, but you cannot shoot over the road or over a fence onto another oersons property, which leaves a very narrow window of oppourtunity once the bird takes flight. I used to road hunt myself, so i'll go out on a limb and say that most think nothing of shooting over the fence onto the adjacent property.

Another note. I once road hunted with a friends father that did that 24/7. He knew all the good ditches and exactly where the birds would be. He would shoot hundreds of birds a year with relatives. But the time i went with him, we had altercations with at least 3 landowners that day. The landowners knew him and didn't like seeing him coming down the road.

I'm not real sure but I think you can shoot over a road with a shotgun loaded with bird shot.

I think you are right, this is what the regs say

Shooting Firearms Over Water or Highway
You cannot shoot any rifle on or over any of the
public highways or waters of the state or any railroad
right of way. You cannot discharge a shotgun shooting a slug, a pistol or a revolver on or over a public
roadway.
Additionally, no person shall discharge a rifle,
including a muzzleloading rifle or musket, or a handgun from a highway; or discharge a shotgun shooting
slugs from a highway north of U.S. Highway 30,
while deer hunting.

I personally don't see road hunting much different than Bow Hunting in respect to the comment on know the birds come to the road to eat gravel- I put my tree stands over food plots/ponds knowing they will come there and I also have the trail cam pictures telling me where the deer are gonna be and when.

I road hunt and I also walk properties for pheasant hunting. I prefer to walk as you have the excitement of not knowing when they are going to fly (unless you have a dog on point;) ) and added bonus of exercise and time spend outdoors- however- when there is a lot of snowfall- sometimes the only habitat left and places to get them is in the ditches. I see nothing wrong with this - and the same goes for ALL HUNTING seasons and all games- there are a select group of hunters that give each group a bad name- road hunters/trespassers for pheasant- to bow hunters there is the Orange Army and poachers/trespassers. It all depends on your situation- if you have land to walk- walk it- if you dont, hunt the ditches if thats your only means to good bird hunting!

Happy hunting all!

Yes it is legal, but you cannot shoot over the road or over a fence onto another oersons property, which leaves a very narrow window of oppourtunity once the bird takes flight. I used to road hunt myself, so i'll go out on a limb and say that most think nothing of shooting over the fence onto the adjacent property.

Another note. I once road hunted with a friends father that did that 24/7. He knew all the good ditches and exactly where the birds would be. He would shoot hundreds of birds a year with relatives. But the time i went with him, we had altercations with at least 3 landowners that day. The landowners knew him and didn't like seeing him coming down the road.

I have a really nice pheasant farm, 150 ac with all the right habitat. I had a guy come up to me and say he shot 5 roosters throughout the year near my fence line (public ditch/right of way) and was very proud of it. I thought to myself... "Thanks a lot buddy"

That's exactly the reason that we try to keep our food plots and thickest cover a fair distance from the road on our 160 acre "pheasant pharm". Gonna have some road hunters but I don't have to make it easy for them... :moon:

Top Bottom