Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Problem with family

S

swampwright

Well my problem is that since my grandpa moved here from out of state. He wont stay out of my timber. I don't care that he hunts there, that isn't my problem. He continues to go out there and target practices or check on the food plot multiple times a week. Last season he shot a good buck with his black powder and then hunted day after day for his bow buck. Ive asked him nice not to disturb it mostly due to its lack of size. He still has been out there i have cam pictures. My biggest concern is that he is into his 70's and don't want to hurt our relationship. He is very hot headed he heard last year that i had pictures of a great deer that i hadn't shown him because i was saving for myself. He wrote me a letter, put it in my truck and didn't talk to me for a month. He is really hurting my hunting area. What do I do?

You just need to suggest him not to go out there as much. Tell him that you are seeing less and less deer on camera each time he disturbs the area. Explain to him that if he keeps it up there will no deer in the area to hunt because they will all find a new "sanctuary".

Be honest and tell him how you feel in a respectful manner. You'll get it done and overwith. I would imagine he should have enough respect for you and your property to listen to you. If you don't tell him now, you're going to have this dust on your shoulder for the rest of his life.

yep, this is a problem. But it all depends on how you deal with family. My family can be a HUGE pain and I have no problem telling them this kind of stuff... so if it were me, I'd tell him to stay the *&&^% out, but like I said... thats just me....

Good luck!

Your property, your rules.
I'm sure it was that way when you were in his house, when you were a kid.
Tuff situation, but if he isn't gonna be cool, then neither do you.

Very difficult situation. Try to be as diplomatic as possible, saying you're getting less and less pictures may be the ticket.

Is this the only spot you have to hunt? Is it his only spot? If it is his only spot let him be, he is family after all which should be more important than ANY deer. Sounds like he loves spending time there and at that age I can only hope that I am lucky enough to have access to a piece of heaven like that to make my days go by and be happy. I would feel very selfish if I told my grandpa to stay of my property.

I would feel very selfish if I told my grandpa to stay of my property.

Same here.

Maybe the timber stuff is things you both should be doing together. I wish I had a chance to share the outdoors with mine again. I miss them.

everybody's family situation is different. While some of you have G-parents you have a lot of respect for and visa-versa, others do not. G-parents are not great people by default... unfortunately some of us don't have the picture perfect fairy tale scenario where our G-parents are acting respectfully. Some people are just selfish, plain and simple.

The bottom line is SwampWrite's G-pa is not respecting his property, that is wrong and something needs to be said. I understand his reluctancy to say anything, but some people need in-your-face reminders of how their actions affect other people, no matter how old they are.

just sayin....

I would feel very selfish if I told my grandpa to stay of my property.

I would to, but my grandpa isn't a jerk, and would respect my rules for hunting my ground.

Just b/c some one is your family, doesn't give them the right to walk all over you.

Maybe the timber stuff is things you both should be doing together. I wish I had a chance to share the outdoors with mine again. I miss them.

I think you are in a no-win situation here and that is the real tragedy. I see both sides of the picture with what others have said and how Central Iowa and Blakesburg see it. You work hard to manage your property, but he is your grandpa. I used to turkey hunt with my grandpa in Davis Co and he would tell everyone he knew to stay off the property (Ikes) until his grandson was done hunting. It made me feel great and I had a great time. At the same time, his idea of turkey hunting was TOTALLY different than mine. I'd be in the middle of 4 toms deep in the timber and he would walk up to tell me where 1 or 2 toms were gobbling (and the birds would subsequently shut up). As much as it would FRUSTRATE me, I kept going back and I'd rationalize.."What am I going to do? He's my grandpa." He passed away a year ago this coming September an I'd give anything to have one more turkey hunt or fishing trip with him. I think Central sums it up the best. Some quality time in the woods together may bring some mutual understanding and a compromise. Good Luck.

If he is a good guy who loves spending time in the woods, and it keeps his ticker ticking I would let it be, it's only deer hunting. Enjoy the time with him. If he is a disrespectful person who is trying to get an upper hand by too much scouting and doesn't care much about family and spending time with you, I would lay down the rules.

Tell him you are glad he enjoys spending time on the property and is welcome to use it whenever he wants.

Then, show him the nightime trail cam photo of sasquatch that you just pulled. My guess is that he may not even know what photoshop is at his ripe age...

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

He wont stay out of my timber. He is really hurting my hunting area. What do I do?

1. it's your land, which makes it his PRIVILEDGE
2. he needs to respect your rules/wishes
3. talk to him and explain how it works...nothing wrong with educating
4. he doesn't like it, give him the boot and let him find his own place to hunt. (this would be an extremely rare "need to use step" if you go about the first 3 the right way :way:)

Best of luck.

I know one thing that for damn-sure, I'd give nearly anything to have a chance to hunt with my grandpa. He passed away when i was 13, so I never had the chance.

Sounds like the ole boy has some anger issues. Id lay down some ground rules & what gona happen if he dosent abide by them.
If that dosent work id go with the sasquatch trick.

Try to take the high road.

You go and "lay down the law" and shoot a great deer later, your not going to feel half as good if you ran your grandpa off to accomplish it. And you'll feel even worse when he is gone.

There is no win win situation in this scenario, this just might be the better choice in the long run.

I had to tell my brother to stay out of his timber so that it would be better hunting for me. He got over it. HA
Sticky situation...but you have to be honest about it with him or there will be a huge blow up some day.
Or, you can work with him to lock up more ground to hunt other than just your's?

Top Bottom