Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Problem with family

Perhaps you could introduce him to a new hobby so he won’t want to spend as much time out there. Grandma has a kitty that needs waterin…….I’m just sayin……..

Seriously, try to redirect his energy into tasks that keep him busy. That’s probably all he wants. He is grumpy and grouchy because he has nothing to occupy his time and make him feel like a contributing member of society. Give him something else productive to do and your problem may be solved.

Or he is a jerk and always has been a jerk and there ain’t nuthin you are gonna do to change it. You know him, we don’t. If he is a jerk, lay down the law and give him some of his own medicine.

So you own the property????

I would think about this like you owning a house and your Grandpa living in your house with you. YOUR HOUSE. You would of course have some fair expectations like cleaning up, not blaring the TV with Nick at Nite at 2 am when he can't sleep, not leaving his dentures on the kitchen table, etc, etc. There's no reason you can't have some reasonable expectations and responsibilites (keeping ground in great shape, pressure on it would count) & what he's doing is wrecking it. It would be like having a roomate in your house that threw beer cans in the front yard and had his Bingo club over when you're there to relax. Look at this like he was staying in your house. An explosive reaction on his part is NOT your fault, especially if you handle it like a guy with integrity.

Yes that is true. He is a great guy that would do anything for you. At the same time he will walk on you to get what he wants. When he moved here one of the first things he did was go and get permission on a large piece of private property. My dad and I have been the only ones to get permission on this land since i started hunting. He went there and said who he was and said he should be able to hunt there since he is our family. I thought since he had that permission he would stay out of mine. Wrong Also last year scouting I was talking about stand placement and thought of moving one about 200 yards over. He said he had a stand and would put up his there sometime that week. When i went back out there i couldn't believe it, it was a ladder stand that had a canopy and gun rail all around. He knew i couldn't bow hunt out of it he even mentioned this during the season. I planned on hunting this stand for shotgun season, but when i got to it the canopy and the padded seat was gone. Luckily i had other stands near. I called him at the end of the day and asked him why he took it off he said he took it off just the day before because he was afraid it would get crewed up. sounded fishy to me. Everything you do is somehow not how it should be done. It gets old after awhile but so is he. I'm afraid if i tell him the "rules" he would blow up. He has some health issues and I have some very fond memory's of us hunting while growing up. Id hate for my last memory to be a fight. I feel I'm in a catch 22. This spring I found a great piece of timber. I didn't tell him about it. The bad thing is its over an hour away. So should i just hunt this piece and take my losses?

Yes that is true. He is a great guy that would do anything for you. At the same time he will walk on you to get what he wants. When he moved here one of the first things he did was go and get permission on a large piece of private property. My dad and I have been the only ones to get permission on this land since i started hunting. He went there and said who he was and said he should be able to hunt there since he is our family. I thought since he had that permission he would stay out of mine. Wrong Also last year scouting I was talking about stand placement and thought of moving one about 200 yards over. He said he had a stand and would put up his there sometime that week. When i went back out there i couldn't believe it, it was a ladder stand that had a canopy and gun rail all around. He knew i couldn't bow hunt out of it he even mentioned this during the season. I planned on hunting this stand for shotgun season, but when i got to it the canopy and the padded seat was gone. Luckily i had other stands near. I called him at the end of the day and asked him why he took it off he said he took it off just the day before because he was afraid it would get crewed up. sounded fishy to me. Everything you do is somehow not how it should be done. It gets old after awhile but so is he. I'm afraid if i tell him the "rules" he would blow up. He has some health issues and I have some very fond memory's of us hunting while growing up. Id hate for my last memory to be a fight. I feel I'm in a catch 22. This spring I found a great piece of timber. I didn't tell him about it. The bad thing is its over an hour away. So should i just hunt this piece and take my losses?

Hunt around his stands.Consider his areas as dead ground....if he is overhunting , bucks will skirt him. Stay mobile and intercept them. Take down all your permanent stands and just hunt mobile. This will slow him down and make your hunting better.

It gets old after awhile but so is he

LOL, but really i would just tell him in a nice way that he may not see as many deer, if he's in the woods messin' around all the time. Or just hunt your other ground you have permission on and he may get the picture or ask you why you arn't hunting your own land. Then you can tell him why.

Sounds like he has another spot to hunt. Give him your rules if he doesn't like them he can hunt there.

Sounds like he is seeing how much he can get away with.

If my grandpa was still alive I would let him hunt out of my favorite stands everyday if he wanted if it made him happy and keep my fingers crossed that he did shoot the big one that I had pics of. I would not be keeping secrets and hiding pics. Don't get me wrong, I live for bowhunting but in the end it is just a deer on the wall and your g-pa could be gone tomarrow. I would trade any deer I ever shot or will shoot to have time afield with my g-pa. Just sayin don't forget what really matters.

I agree it is just a deer but sounds to me that he is make it so you are not enjoying hunting your ground that you have worked hard on.

As for being gone tomorrow that could be anyone of us.

I agree it is just a deer but sounds to me that he is make it so you are not enjoying hunting your ground that you have worked hard on.

As for being gone tomorrow that could be anyone of us.
Thats true but you know the odds are substantially higher in your 70s

You have received much advice. Your last post makes me think you are carefully considering your reaction. Sounds wise to me! Show wisdom and you will be with out regret. "A hot tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention" Proverbs 15:18. I personally had to get much older to get this one. Be wise and you'll be blessed for it.

Last edited:
Lots of thoughts on this one. I agree that family is first but when they start taking advantage of you it needs to stop. Don't get me wrong I would give anything to hunt one more time with my Gpa but he also has to respect you as a man and respect your rights and wishes as the property owner. I would definately take your time and lay out a diplomatic resolution to this. I feel he should understand that what he is doing is hurting the hunting as a whole and if he wants to see deer at all he will listen to you. I feel if you can talk with him diplomatically he should respect not only that you are family but you as a man and an adult. Tough situation and best of luck with it.

You have received much advice. Your last post makes me think you are carefully considering your reaction. Sounds wise to me! Show wisdom and you will be with out regret. "A hot tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention" Proverbs 15:18. I personally had to get much older to get this one. Be wise and you'll be blessed for it.

Now this is good advice......glad to see this on here.:way:

It is your property and you should be able to decide what happens on it, but he is also family and an elder so treat him with the utmost respect.

He could be gone tomorrow, so don't cause him grief over hunting.....it isn't worth it.

I would approach him very respectfully and tell him that you respect him and that you would like some respect for your property from him in return.

Don't put a bunch of rules on him, just tell him that you would like him not to go in there so much and in return you will gladly hunt with him out there.

Also I wouldn't keep pictures of a big deer secret from him....there is no reason for that and that will just cause bitterness.

It sucks when the younger person has to be the example, but my advice is to love him as he is family and treat him how you would want to be treated if you were in his shoes.

I hope you guys can get it all worked out.:way:

1Pe 5:5

You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Can't give better advice than Ironwood or Nacho. If you live by those rules the rest of your life-in any endeavor-you will have a great one.

Good thread.

If my grandpa was still alive I would let him hunt out of my favorite stands everyday if he wanted if it made him happy and keep my fingers crossed that he did shoot the big one that I had pics of. I would not be keeping secrets and hiding pics. Don't get me wrong, I live for bowhunting but in the end it is just a deer on the wall and your g-pa could be gone tomarrow. I would trade any deer I ever shot or will shoot to have time afield with my g-pa. Just sayin don't forget what really matters.

Amen...sounds like a serious case of misguided priorities. Wait till he dies or worse yet the day your dad dies and think back on this conversation. You would gladly give anything to have the chance to hunt with them just one more time. You have the rest of your life to hunt...this is just petty

I applaud your discretion in not stirring the pot with your grandpa. You sound like you're a lot more mature than he is. I'm getting kinda angry just thinking about what he is doing to you with the hunting situation, but at the same time, if he were my grandpa (good guy or bad) I'd probably have a hard time telling him no. I'd maybe make suggestions, but I doubt I could do much more than that. Good luck with the situation!

Well I have to thank everyone for the advice. I read them this morning and one really hit me. It is just a deer at the end of the day. I printed off the biggest deer that i have pictures of and stopped over to his house this morning for coffee before work. I told him all about the bucks i have been seeing. I asked him to go with me to sight in my dads slug gun on Sunday. He asked if we were going up to my place i said no because i didn't want to disturb the deer. I said were going to a public range that is only 10 minutes further and has a better set up anyway. This way he knows i don't like to be shooting out there and also that there is another "better" place to shoot. He drives me nuts at times, has even wrecked a hunting day or two but he taught me how to shoot and love the outdoors. Once again thanks for the advice its been tugging at me for awhile. I'm relieved how this is playing out.

Top Bottom