Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proposal to outlaw PARTY hunting???

OrionWhitetails

Folks,

Earlier today I read on the Iowa DNR website the proposed changes the DNR is recommending regarding deer hunting regulations, all of which are up for public debate at 18 locations around the state next Tuesday, April 29th.

It appears the DNR has proposed outlawing the "party" hunting rule that has long been in place during the two traditional shotgun seasons when they state rule changes would make it... "illegal to allow someone else to use another person's deer tags." They further state this change is to "clarify that it is illegal to carry, use or to allow someone else to use your deer tag."
Is the DNR trying to outlaw "party" hunting? If anyone has any additional information specific to this proposed change, <u>PLEASE</u> share.

Are you worried this change might affect the number of clients you can bring to Iowa to hunt ... or are you concerned this could impact your gun season "... in Iowa where the firearms season is a ridiculously short five days." ... as you stated in your latest article about Iowa on page 74, par. 2, of the April issue of Quality Whitetails.

Or Mickey is it possible that you feel the Iowa DNR is once again "catering to the lowest common denominator" of hunters below the income level you think should be allowed the right to hunt ... like you informed us in one of your previous post.

I hope they don't outlaw the party hunting system, as I feel that is a great deer management tool, and a great way to keep the deer herd in check. However, I do hope they outlaw the fact that out-of-staters can come in by purchasing a doe tag, with no intentions of filling it, just to shoot a buck. This loophole needs to be fixed.

Or wait, does that ever happen.....Mickey?

Man, this thread is going to blow up like Thomas after pizza hut buffet and totally overshadow all the great turkey harvests!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Ha, I remember when I moved to Iowa, I thought party hunting was getting hammered and trying to kill deer. Man, I thought Iowans where crazy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

whats changed, i thought if you party hunted, & had already harvested your Deer, you could party hunt and help fill your parties tags , but the licenced tag hunter had to be hunting with you and he had to tag it before transportation. if you had used your tag, you could not be carrying anyone elses tag on your person if the other hunter was not hunting in your group, isnt that how its always been ? i need to research this more on the dnr website what am i missing?

That definetly needs tweeking. I've said for years that rule (allow someone else to use another person's deer tags) was a bad move.

You never could carry or use another person's tag. The rule change says nothing about shooting a deer for another member of your party.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If anyone has any additional information specific to this proposed change, PLEASE share. </div></div>

I can't believe you'd come here for help after the B.S. you spilled on this board last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, this thread is going to blow up like Thomas after pizza hut buffet </div></div>

[Burp]

What???

The lingo in the current regs are as follows:

"Hunters in both shotgun seasons and the November and January antlerless only seasons may shoot deer for each other, provided that all tagging requirements are followed and the deer will be considered in the possession of the hunter whose tag is affixed to it. A hunter may not carry a deer license or transportation tag issued to another hunter while deer hunting".

The proposed change is to make it "illegal for someone else to use another person's deer tags".

So it looks to me like they're replacing the already existing words "may not" carry to "illegal" to carry to leave no doubt about the fact that it's a finable violation. I'm guessing it's a simple semantics issue and is an effort to better address the problem of when a guy bales on a group and leaves his tag(s) with them so they can still be filled in his absence. I'm no DNR rep but that's just my take on it. They're not going to eliminate party hunting when the pressure is on to reduce deer numbers.

Up here in ND it is illegal to do any party hunting for any species, that includes pheasants and waterfowl.

You have to shoot your own limit of birds and you have to fill you own deer tag.

I agree with this law 100% up here!!!!

We have a lottery up here for our rifle tags, so you have to get drawn for a tag which is different then Iowa.

We had grandmothers and grandfathers and mothers and sisters and brothers applying for tags that have never hunted a day in their lives and never planned to start. They were applying for tags so one of their relatives could have more buck tags to fill or a greater chance of having a buck tag.

This is 100% wrong, because it takes away from the sportsman that are hunters and get turned down for a tag.

I know down there you guys don't have a lotterey, so it is a totally different situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the law does need tweaked, but it is the best deer management tool the DNR has </div></div>

Have you ever noticed the DNR says one thing and does another?

i agree with thinkin rut, the DNR wants to thin the Deer population, but restrict the rules more & more. , always changing their mind.i havent figured out why they havent opened a rifle season maybe go from mid january for a week or two to thin the does only with limited tags per county. donate the meat to hush program, i dont know but they need to thin the does out. again this spring, most mature does will have twins or trips, & each one of those are able to breed late december , & give birth to twins, maybe 2 deer per licence, per all seasons for a yr but they need to figure somthing out.you know its bad when you stop your truck and wait for over 30 deer to cross at one spot.

I wish they would make it illegal to party hunt on any sex tags. I think it is ridiculous that you can. Be happy with your 2-3 bucks a year and call it good. Shoot all the does you want however you want. I also don't believe that nonresidents should be able to party hunt as well that is even more ridiculous. Talk about a loop hole.

You should only be able to fill your own tag. You want to hunt with a group fine, once you shoot a deer your season is over. I know of some large groups that all hunt until they have filled all the tags in their group and it's wrong. And on another note, if they want to thin out the herd how about they give you a free doe tag with every regular tag you buy. But the Dnr doesn't have the word 'free' in their vocabulary then they couldn't get new trucks and atv's every year. Also,i'm all for a rifle season but for now i'll stick with my black powder rifle it's almost as good.....almost.

Before everybody gets their panties in a bunch, PLEASE go here and educate yourself.

The way I read it, they are just enforcing the law that says you can't carry another hunter's license, but I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POLARIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should only be able to fill your own tag. You want to hunt with a group fine, once you shoot a deer your season is over. I know of some large groups that all hunt until they have filled all the tags in their group and it's wrong. </div></div>

Wrong? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif This a <u>huge</u> contributor to what herd management we have in this state.

Top Bottom