Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage broadheads and Drury

Nug

I am about half way through dream season 10. The boys in the video are pimping the Rage broadheads which as far as I can tell make a hell of a hole in the deer, but I dont understand why they aren't getting any pass throughs. I have probably seen 10 or 12 hunts and zero pass throughs...my question is...is it the broadhead or what...Nug

ScottI.C. and I thought the same thing on the pass through problem... maybe they need to get something other than Hoyts?
grin.gif

Just kidding Hoyties.

In all seriousness I have no idea why they won't go through on most of their shots. Do those broadheads suck up that much kinetic energy? I know last year I shot 12 deer with my Rocket Hammerheads and I got pass through on 90% of them. That's adding another blade and cutting just as big of a hole, but no problems punching through?

Bowtech POWER or weird coincidence?

I shot 2 deer with the Rocky Mountain Syper which is VERY close to the Rage. I also didn't get either to pass thru but they dropped within 60 yards. Both shots were thru the rib cage and stopped after hitting the hide. I thought that was kinda odd. I use aluminum arrows.
You are right about the video & tv being a huge commercial for gear and not really "how to".

It's not just on the Drury's DVD's either, I watched "The Wild Outdoors" , and on both of the kills neither penetrated more than 1/3 the arrow....but they sure do talk about the entrance hole alot!

I'm trying them this year............I guess I don't really care about the exit hole or a pass through as long as they do two inches of damage on the inside. I understand it's nice to have a hole on both sides, but I'll about guarantee a two inch hole on just one side will side will suffice.
waytogo.gif

Man Muddy...wasn't a Hoyt the greatest bow in the world when you shot one?
blush.gif

Nothing matters more than shot placement boys...I don't care what your shooting.

By the way, my old Razortec is going to be unleashing ACC's and three blade Rages this year.
grin.gif

i almost got some of the rages last year, wish i did. They look like a killer broadhead. I did pick up some buckblasters as well. What a hugh head. Heavy and alot of cutting power. I doubt i would ever get a pass thru, but who cares.

I thought they would be cool until I heard they don't pass through. I won't touch them now, I don't care how big the hole is
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Man Muddy...wasn't a Hoyt the greatest bow in the world when you shot one?
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but a brother can change his mind, you know me well enough to know how whacked out my mind is at any given time.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing matters more than shot placement boys...I don't care what your shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, no matter how whacked out my mind is that statement I'll agree with 100%

To me an exit hole is one of those fundamental things. A low exit hole always makes for an easier track. Also, I dont think a loose mechanical blade will cut anything once inside the deer. As the shaft moves when the deer runs the loose blades dont slash back and forth and put enough pressure on the internal organs to really do some serious cutting. I agree they show some pretty devistating kills on those videos but I wonder how many didnt make the cut. They are not the head I would want to be shooting if I bury one in the shoulder blade. If I wanted to knock just one big hole in them I think I would shoot them with a gobbler guilitine.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
To me an exit hole is one of those fundamental things. A low exit hole always makes for an easier track. Also, I dont think a loose mechanical blade will cut anything once inside the deer. As the shaft moves when the deer runs the loose blades dont slash back and forth and put enough pressure on the internal organs to really do some serious cutting. I agree they show some pretty devistating kills on those videos but I wonder how many didnt make the cut. They are not the head I would want to be shooting if I bury one in the shoulder blade. If I wanted to knock just one big hole in them I think I would shoot them with a gobbler guilitine.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
True.
eliminate the risk!!
Muzzy!

Proof is in the pudding.

If you are watching Drury and you are seeing no pass throughs. Who Cares!! Look at the blood trails that they leave. The Drury brothers make a definate point to show you the blood trails. I haven't had blood trails like that shooting a fixed blade unless it went through an artery.

I agree with Ghost. Shot Placement is key to a good clean kill shot and a good blood trail.

They also shoot lower poundage I think... I have shot deer with the Rage and had a complete pass thru every time... but I am using the two blade version. These things do some WICKED damage... it literally looked like someone punched a hole into the animal with a fist... the entry/exit hole was literally that large.

But I do agree... put the arrow where it needs to go... pass thru or not, that animal is going down.

I have never had a pass through on any of the deer i shot. So i am not to concerned about that. I think i will wait a year and see how everybody likes them.

I have shot Spitfire's for years, and last year shot the Buckblasters. I have almost always had pass through even with a 2 3/4 3 blade cut (now that is a hole).

My father and brother in law both switched to rage and it seemed to help their penetration. I am split on this issue. We sell a lot of rages, and people seem to love them, but IMO Rage(actually any mechanical company) needs to design a broadhead that locks the blades open once deployed. That way if you do not get a pass through, you are doing MAJOR damage inside. Currently, they are pretty simple to fold down, so once inside they are no longer cutting!

Pass through is very important, but if they deer is down within 60 yards it doesn't matter. If he doesn't then the tracking is horrible! Overall, I still think pass through is too important to give up. I like having my arrow in the ground so I know right where the shot occurred!!

OH, and MUDDY......... Wait till you shoot a PSE.... You Brother, only need to change your mind one more time!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
IMO Rage(actually any mechanical company) needs to design a broadhead that locks the blades open once deployed. That way if you do not get a pass through, you are doing MAJOR damage inside. Currently, they are pretty simple to fold down, so once inside they are no longer cutting!

Overall, I still think pass through is too important to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO Rage(actually any mechanical company) needs to design a broadhead that locks the blades open once deployed. That way if you do not get a pass through, you are doing MAJOR damage inside. Currently, they are pretty simple to fold down, so once inside they are no longer cutting!

Overall, I still think pass through is too important to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i shot several different brands of expandable heads and lost a few deer due to lack of bloodtrail, some of the shots were poor, but an exit wound would have gotten me much further...
this is a moral issue with me. i will never shoot expandables because i am not perfect. if i make a poor shot, i want every chance i can get on my side. a poor shot with an expandable without a pass through will result in lost deer. a fixed blade head will do more internal damage.
AND
having the penetration is essential....

you guys are right, a perfectly placed shot will work even if you are using a field point.....but i guess i cant guarnate a perfect shot every time and i shoot A LOT!! during the off season....
those of you who can guarantee a perfect shot every time, more power to you, i cant so therefore shooting equipment that is more forgiving is the secret to my success.

one more thought
all it takes is one lost deer due to poor penetration and the point will be proven!

Top Bottom