Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Broadheads

I've never shot a Rage broadhead, mostly Muzzy 100 grain 4-blades. They fly really well out of my bow and make a pretty good blood trail. If I were to try a mechanical now, it would probably be the new Rocket Steelhead XL. I shot a buck with a Rocket Steelhead a few years back and it did some wicked damage!! For the time being, I'm content with my fixed blade heads.

Totally random- I just read this story of that stickers buck the guy JUST posted today, he showed his previous post http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29430 and explained how he shot the deer at 5 yards quartering away and the arrow/broadhead deflected off the rib, he even included a picture- deer lived thankfully.

Right away I almost knew it had to be a Rage broadhead (I promise I suspected before-hand) and SURE ENOUGH! I just thought that was interesting and just what I suspected ended up being true. I guess I just "BELIEVE" that would never happen with my MX-3 Muzzy's and that picture is the experience I know 1st hand TONS of other guys have had. Not a conclusion BUT enough to reinforce what I am shooting now.

Read the story and looked at the pics. Do you think that may have just been a severe enough angle that he missed??? Almost looks like a slice on the side of the deer not like it went into the deer and back out after hitting a rib. he even suggests that in the story when he says, "I had a more quatering away then i wanted at 5-7 yards. I thought was a perfect shot turned out not to be. I was shooting 2 blade rage. One of two things happened, the arrow deflected off the rib or i just slightly pulled the shot." Almost looks like a pulled shot that just went through the outer profile of the deer on the hard quarteeing away shot. JMO
I recall a buddy of mine shot a buck 2 years ago, at probably 3 or 4 yards, quartering away a little and did the same thing though too. Deflected off of the ribs, but his went the other way and went in and through the deer. Didn't bleed much and it was a long tracking job of a couple of hundred yards, but we found him. That was with a fixed blade of some kind.

Last edited:
A good friend sent me pics of his deer in Iowa last year that was 170+ in which the same thing happened. Was almost positive he smoked him and looked 3 days straight plus throughout the year looking for him. I kept telling him he had to be out there etc?
In any case, he got pics of him after season with a GIANT gash in his side..almost looks 100% like the above pics. To play Devils advocate though he shot two 150+ last year (both went less than 100 yds) with Rage after not finding that buck so the jury is still out ;) I shoot slick tricks but again have shot and never lost a deer with Rage, just thought penetration was poor. Just an average guys opinion :)

Top Bottom