Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

range finders that take angle into consideration..

Muddy, if I were you Id just find a rangefinder that you liked and if it happened to have the ARC feature then ok but you should deffinately not spend more for it or make your decision based on whether or not it has that feature. I bought a new bushnell with the ARC last year and hunted from 18 to over 30' high and it only made a couple yards difference unless you were shooting under 20yds and I dont know anyone with a 12 or 15yd pin anyways. I woulda saved $50 if I woulda known that it makes very little difference, having the right form as far as the shot execution is concerened is the key to making the shot where angle is an issue

Re: range finders that take angle into considerati

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 203ntyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one of the Nikons after hitting a couple deer high shooting from my favorite stand that is 28' to the platform. There is deffinately a huge difference at that heigth when they are within 10 yards. Try shooting almost straight down with your 15 or 20 yard pin & you will hit high enough to only get one lung, spine or no zone, at least that's my experience over the years. Those who say there's hardly any differnece when shooting 15' off the ground at a deer at 10 yards or more are correct but those close encounters from high above could lead to a bad shot so I would like having the advantage without doing math, I have enough on my mind at that moment! </div></div>

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you actually range deer when they are 10 yards in? I just figure you need to put that 20 pin a little low.

Do you have pins under 10 yds? If not, your guessing anyway so the angle corrected distance doesn't really matter. If you do have 4, 6, and 8 yd pins then more power to ya!

Just would like to know how low to hold the pin, there's not much of a target area on a deer from that angle. If you shoot at a target at close range using the 20 yard pin it's going to hit low, how low? Could be 6" or 12", depends on the set up. I held the 20 yard pin off the bottom of the deer mentioned above & still spined it. I'm going to experiment, doesn't mean I'll be ranging a deer that close, I plan to work that out before hand, might have to shoot off the roof of the house /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I think I read an article somewhere that said if the deer is within five yards and at an extreme angle to use your 30 or 40 yd pin. I've been wanting to try this and have not yet. Anybody else heard of doing this?

I don't know that I've read that, but it might well be true. I'd suggest setting up a target or decoy at that range and angle and practicing on it...then you'd know for sure /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom