Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Realtore Guy

I'm a resident who sees that the biggest problem in Iowa is not the NRLO but residents who show little regard for the law or respect for the animal itself!!

I'm a resident who sees that the biggest problem in Iowa is not the NRLO but residents who show little regard for the law or respect for the animal itself!!

I consider nrlos to be the least of iowas problems as the regulations stand right now. Iowa deer hunting is going down the tubes not because one problem but multiple serious problems which all have been stated in threads over the past month. I don't see it getting much better or at least getting worse before it gets better. I hope I'm wrong but this has been trending the last couple years. The biggest threat in my area is loss of habitat and its going fast. If farming slows down the timbers might come back in 50 years. :)

Yeah you can't blame us NR when they give us 6000 any sex tags and 1 antlerless. The biggest impact is killing way to many doe's and it's an epidemic. More doe's will give you more bucks and more bucks lets more bucks have a chance to reach maturity. You can think EHD is the problem if you want, but the real problem is to many doe's being killed. If EHD was the real problem there would be carcasses all over and I found zero while hunting up there this year....

When around 7% of Iowans hunt and poachers are a much smaller subset of this number, what statistics can you provide to support your claim?

I think what he means is about 215,000 Iowans hunt, 7% of 3 million, and when you compare 6K to 215K the percentages of likely law breakers is mathematically obvious.

Last edited:
I think what he means is about 215,000 Iowans hunt, 7% of 3 million, and when you compare 6K to 215K the percentages of likely law breakers is mathematically obvious.

Then how come the only poachers I hear about from out of state?

Then you're not looking hard enough. I can list several poaching cases from residents as well. I don't think you want to open this can of worms.

Here's three in 10 seconds of searching, not saying NR's don't do the same but your statement is reckless at best:

Moravia Man Pleads Guilty to Poaching Deer Scoring More Than 200 Inches
Posted: 08/27/2013

Three Plead Guilty In Southern Iowa Deer Poaching Case

It was the pressure to kill a big buck on film that got the best of three individuals that were part of the filming crew known as Nock’d Up Productions when they gave in to temptation last November.
The case began when Conservation Officer Deb Howe received a call from a tipster asking if Jesse Bolin, 31, from Tarkio, Mo., had an Iowa non-resident archery license because he had just killed a buck along the Missouri border, possibly in Iowa.
The investigation of Bolin expanded to include Steven Cole, 33, of Hamburg, Iowa, and Jesse’s brother, Paul Bolin, 28, of Tarkio, Mo.

Iowa Poachers Caught With 52 Deer:
Five Decatur County men were cited with 49 charges of illegally taking deer with liquidated damages totaling nearly $150,000. The charges were filed after a four month long investigation by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Last edited:
Thanks jdubs! I needed that crow since I didn't fill my tags this year! I was getting hungry.

I don't mind opening that can of worms though. I think the reason I only remember out of state poachers is because I was always surprised at the distance they traveled to do it.

While the DNR welcomes the publicity for the state’s excellent deer hunting, “it also draws poachers to Iowa,” Sedlmayr said.

Several of the DNR’s recent poaching busts have involved non-residents who legally procured Iowa antlerless tags, which are easy to get, and used them as a pretext to hunt deer in Iowa while poaching bucks for which they had no valid license.

“Non-residents come here with doe tags, but they want to kill bucks. They are not here to help us control our deer population,” Sedlmayr said.

DNR deer biologist Tom Litchfield confirmed that a low percentage of non-resident antlerless tags are ever filled.

In once recent case, in which three Louisiana men were charged with multiple deer poachings, an Iowa resident was accused of purchasing tags from other Iowa resident hunters for use by the non-residents. “They were paying $125 for those any-sex tags,” Sedlmayr said.

The state charges $426 for a non-resident ant-sex tag, $28.50 for resident.

Litchfield said some non-resident archery hunters have to apply for four years before receiving an any-sex Iowa license but said that increasing the quota also would decrease access for Iowa hunters

Read more: http://thegazette.com/2011/01/01/deer-poachers-skirt-law-for-money-bragging-rights/#ixzz2rNggzTn9

Shocker? Nobody claimed there were not NR poaching cases. You stated the only poaching cases you hear about involve NR's and I will challenge that anytime you wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom