Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Resident landowners....

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
No, I don't own land and I'm not ashamed of it either. I am also ok with the current system we have in place. The discussion at hand is a proposed change to that system. My opinion is that if we change it, it changes for everybody, equally. We're all hunting the same herd. If you would like to talk about the merits of our current system, please start a new thread

Next, if you knew me personally I think you would be surprised to find that my tune would not change regardless of how much private land I had acquired.

NO ONE in anyway, shape or form disrespected any landowning resident! Where did that come from?

See that's where your wrong....

Under the current system. You can kill 2 bucks and land owners can kill 3 bucks. So if everyone gives up one buck tag it works out to 1 for a non-land owner and 2 for land owners. Your wanting to take 2 away from land owners, so obviously there is a lack of respect to the land owners.......

Fact: reducing the number of buck tags WILL benefit everyone in Iowa.

Fact: it's much harder to sacrifice for the greater good when it effect ones situation personally.

That's your perspective and you have your right to it, it was hypothetical anyway. Just curious if anybody else would give up a year of hunting to help better the state of iowas deer herd as a whole.

Bowtech,
I have to take a step backward for a second.
If someone could show me documented proof that giving up one year would definitely help the state of Iowa's deer herd I would absolutely be there to help.
What really irks me and hopefully you understand is giving up something that I have been avoiding because of selective hunting over the years, making habit and passing lots of deer while watching everyone else blast away at the first thing they see making it worse.
I respect your opinion as well.

Fact: reducing the number of buck tags WILL benefit everyone in Iowa.

Disagree to a point. Bucks do not have fawns. All the does will get bred regardless. There will be more bucks around due to them not getting shot but the does is where it is at. ;)

A new day, a new perspective.

I've realized I've erred in my ways, thanks to buckcrap, MNcityslicker and others.;)

I've been in contact the DNR and legislators trying to take some pressure off the deer herd.

My effort would be better spent on trying to get ANOTHER LOT. It's all about Me, Me, ME! From the tone of the emails I have gotten in return, it would be an easier battle. :confused:

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight: lose!

If you guys actually sat out a season there would be a BIG overpopulation problem again in the problem areas of the state.

The key is to eliminate peaks and valleys.

Now here's where I'm speculating and someone can help whether this is accurate or not.....

I'd guess that only about 1/3 to 1/4 of Iowa ever had a overpopulation problem.

I'd say that now the same areas at the correct population level or still slightly high.(it's overpopulation to expect a section to carry over 30-40 deer). Those farms were carrying as many as 100+ in the "hay day".

The rest of Iowa is at or below carrying capacity.

The deer problem has nothing to do with res lo having 3 tags i get 3 tags never used one of them. most of the land owners that hunt are after a mature deer and its sure not going to hurt the deer if a mature deer gets killed.The hole problem is they have had the doe season and people think its cool to kill something as far away as they can.Then you have ehd that hit us pretty hard.Taking away the doe season and a couple good wet springs it will be good again.

Just a comment...we actually did have a wet spring in 2013, so wet that it delayed planting. But then we didn't have a drop of rain in July and August...BOOM...EHD again. So we really need at least some rain during the summer, regardless of the spring rains, to avoid EHD from what I can tell.

I do very much agree with you though that the real cripplers to our deer herd are the late antlerless season and also EHD.

And remember, my above post still would include my initial post saying that I'd gladly reduce the LO buck tags by 1 buck if we could do a statewide 1 buck tag. I'd do it in a heartbeat and I think most LO's would as well from my experience. Also, ya, the impact of reducing the buck tag to 1 from the general public is going to be a mountain of difference vs the small amount of LO hunters and LO hunters that use all 3. You got my vote!

Sligh I got to thinking about this.
You can correct me if I am wrong.
You get an any/sex bow tag for the possibility of a shot at a nice buck with a few doe tags (depending on your doe numbers) also in your pocket. You might get a shot at a mature buck ((you always do :D) or you eat the tag.)
You don't use the bow tag so you get a any/sex tag for shotgun hunting. Again you have a doe tag in your pocket also. You hunt both shotgun seasons just in case you see a passing monster being pushed from three miles away or for the deer you missed during bow season. Now during late muzzleloader season you hunt a food source you planted last year and wait countless nights (at least I do) to see the possible right buck.
I assume this sounds pretty familiar. Only once in 15 years I have filled all three tags once. That is the reasoning I like all three tags and feel if they do away with them it will only make a very slight difference.

If people do not have deer leave the does alone. I believe most landowners let a lot of bucks walk so why give up the third tag? Just my .02.

Many people complained all year regarding the lack of buck sightings this year do to EHD, etc. My point of this thread was that reducing the number of any sex tags to 1 good for all seasons would help the number of bucks to rebound. Not necessarily a permanent change but one to help replenish the bucks in the heard......yes doe tags need reduced but that's a different thread. Why do so many RESIDENT LO feel they are entitled to more of the STATES resource than NRLO? Both pay taxes and own land! This squabble comes from selfish RLO. The great American dream is about owning your own land and enjoying what it provides you. You can patrol your land and enjoy it without a weapon in hand! I am a resident landowner who came to Iowa a few years back, sometimes you need to think outside the box and not be selfish. I have met some great landowners who are willing to share and do anything to help fellow hunters out and others who don't want anything to do with a NRLO or NR

I think Baby -G summed it up for why LO should get an extra tag. How many is up to the Legislators.

Yes NRLO pay taxes on their land and why do they pay the taxes (for the fire department if something on their land starts on fire, road maintenance etc) but you forget the other taxes I pay every day or week plus what I contribute to the economy in Iowa (buy gas once a week, grocery store once a week, stores I buy my kids clothes at, athletic events I attend and bars I frequent with my buddies) I can go on and on about how much more a RLO gives to the Iowa economy but I am sure another selfish remark will be in your comment.

I do not have any problems with NRLO at all. Some have hunted with me in the past. Yes they can want that coveted tag but I will fight that they don't get it and they will fight for it. No problem at all IMO. They are good people just looking out for their investment and I respect that. They should look out for themselves.

Being called selfish for my beliefs I don't respect.

All these guys that think they should take away the land owner tags should tell the people that own the land this that they hunt on currently.... lol My money says the guy that make the investimate in the land and does all the up keep will tell you to hit the road and go buy your own land so you might know why he should get the land owner tag in the first place. Land owners are more deserving of getting to hunt there land than anyone else, period!

That's why landowners have the right to keep everyone else off of their land

I think Baby -G summed it up for why LO should get an extra tag. How many is up to the Legislators. Yes NRLO pay taxes on their land and why do they pay the taxes (for the fire department if something on their land starts on fire, road maintenance etc) but you forget the other taxes I pay every day or week plus what I contribute to the economy in Iowa (buy gas once a week, grocery store once a week, stores I buy my kids clothes at, athletic events I attend and bars I frequent with my buddies) I can go on and on about how much more a RLO gives to the Iowa economy but I am sure another selfish remark will be in your comment. I do not have any problems with NRLO at all. Some have hunted with me in the past. Yes they can want that coveted tag but I will fight that they don't get it and they will fight for it. No problem at all IMO. They are good people just looking out for their investment and I respect that. They should look out for themselves. Being called selfish for my beliefs I don't respect.

Since other states don't have the sought after resource we have here in the deer heard should they start charging you more for a commodity they do have because your a NR?

Since other states don't have the sought after resource we have here in the deer heard should they start charging you more for a commodity they do have because your a NR?

They do. Have you seen the price of a NR Elk tag?????
But if I want to hunt there I have to play by there rules or I
do not have to buy one. Do I like it? Heck no.
AZ makes me buy a license I do not even use even if I do not draw.

I assume every state is different??

You bought a NR elk, moose, sheep or goat tag lately? Anywhere??? I think they do charge for what they have that we want... :confused: Supply & demand economics = basis of capitalism (and I think that is a good thing). :D

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom