Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifle usage HF 2047

I would be against it. I think with current regs there are enough weapons to chose from. I guess I don't really see the need.

This law is being written right now and is going to be proposed soon. Are we for or against it? What if the caliber was restricted to .44 or less - would that change anything? I really value everyones opinion and we can make a difference as the law makers are definitely listening to us and asking for our input. Your IBA is working hard to keep Iowa a great place to hunt.

If you have any questions regarding what chipping away will do check Indiana's gun laws. It really is a stepping stone to high powered rifles. Custom gun makers can create about whatever you want to fit into cartridge length restrictions.

Disabled hunters do not need a gun for all seasons since the crossbow was legalized. They fire like a gun so there is no reason to add powder to the mix.

Others are correct about our youth getting too much of a free ride as it stands. Pass this law now and then in 10-20 years those same kids will be the ones making the new laws in your state. So you allowed them to hunt with a rifle growing up, it seems very logical that they will be in favor of them as adults too.....

BTW

Arguing against it from a safety perspective will be defeated easily. IOWA has a very low human density combined with rolling terrain in southern counties. Other states with similar demographics already allow rifle hunting and your DNR will cite their safety record as a reason to allow it.

It's also possible to get enough signatures to actually put it on the election ballot. Your hunters will divide about 50/50 on the topic, but the general non hunting public is by nature very naive and impressionable. This allows those of you against it to form a superpac and run a campaign that should easily swing the vote against rifles.

Hope that helps

In Indiana I also questioned the professional qualifications of the NRC board members and specifically their background and sources for making such a proposal without proper research and data supporting the idea.

permanent disability as defined in section 483A.4 or is
non ambulatory as provided in section 483A.8C.

483A.4 “Permanent disability” defined.

For the purpose of obtaining a license, a person has a “permanent disability” if any of the following apply:

1. The person has been found under the provisions of the federal Social Security Act, Tit. II, or any other public or private pension system to have a total, permanent physical or mental condition which prevents that person from engaging in the person’s occupation or qualifies that person for retirement.

2. The person has a severe physical disability and has qualified for a special license under
section 483A.24.

483A.24 is a very long section that deals with free licenses (hunting and fishing) celebrity tags and land owner tags.

483A.8C Nonambulatory persons — deer hunting licenses.

1. A nonambulatory person who is a resident may be issued one any sex deer hunting license which is valid and may be used to hunt deer with a shotgun or a muzzleloading rifle during any established deer hunting season. A person who applies for a license pursuant to this section shall complete a form, as required by rule, that is signed by a physician who verifies that the person is nonambulatory.

2. A person who obtains a deer hunting license under this section is not required to pay the wildlife habitat fee but shall purchase a deer hunting license and hunting license that does not include the wildlife habitat fee, be otherwise qualified to hunt, and pay a one dollar fee that shall be used and is appropriated for the purpose of deer herd population management, including assisting with the cost of processing deer donated to the help us stop hunger program administered by the commission.

3. A person may obtain a license under this section in addition to any other deer hunting licenses for which the person is eligible.

4. For the purposes of this section, “nonambulatory person” means an individual who has received a nonambulatory person’s permit from the department as provided by rule, and at a minimum has one or more of the following conditions:

a. Paralysis of the lower half of the body, usually due to disease or a spinal cord injury.

b. Loss or partial loss of both legs.

c. Any other physical affliction which makes it impossible for the person to ambulate successfully

Kinda hard to fake a disability as defined here. I put this in to be sure you all understand this is not the same as a crossbow permit.

Got a link in an email to this:

I purchased a 44mag Big Boy for my son as an high school graduation gift this year. He has put the rifle to work this year during deer season. I thought you might enjoy this picture of his success. We both carried our Big Boys in the deer woods for the first time as Ohio just passed the law to allow pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. I am sure this will not be the last story of success with our Henry’s [sic]. Thanks for the workmanship in the rifles. They are a treat to carry and shoot. Keep up the good work.

It is from the Henry Rifles web site. I added color for emphasis and deleted pic and names.

Edit: Added [sic] because plurals of proper nouns don't require an apostrophe.

Last edited:
Is there something that people who oppose this can do about it?

Contact your legislator and say you oppose HF 2047, say why and be polite.

You can find your legislator by going here: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/ there is a tab for "find your legislator". If you want to go a step farther contact the Representatives on the committee it has been assigned to and say you oppose the proposed legislation. It would be even better if your rep was on the committee.

If you are still fired up and want to do even more search that web site for HF 2047. The bill will pop up and the very long list of bill sponsors will be on the top right of the page. Email them and ask WTF were they thinking, but in a polite way.

Bonker, thanks for the info on disabled. I too was thinking more along the lines of what it takes to get a crossbow permit.

I am against. No need to further complicate our regulations. I do see this as just a step toward all rifles. Pistols were allowed due to being a primitive weapon. Put that same cartridge in a rifle with a scope and it gets a whole lot less primitave.

Here are the names and emails to all of the bill sponsors. If you are not a fan of this bill, please take time to email some/all of these people and tell them politely why you are opposed.

Terry C. Baxter: [email protected]
Scott Ourth: [email protected]
Guy Vander Linden: [email protected]
Clel Baudler: [email protected]
Bobby Kaufmann: [email protected]
Sandy Salmon: [email protected]
Ralph Watts: [email protected]
Steven Holt: [email protected]
Greg Heartsill: [email protected]
Gary Carlson: [email protected]
Tedd Gassman: [email protected]
David Sieck: [email protected]
Larry Sheets: [email protected]
Stan Gustafson: [email protected]
Bob Kressig: [email protected]
Todd Prichard: [email protected]
Brian Best: [email protected]
John Forbes: [email protected]
Walt Rogers: [email protected]
Jarad Klein: [email protected]
Matt Windschitl: [email protected]
John Wills: [email protected]
Ken Rizer: [email protected]
Dean Fisher: [email protected]

Last edited:
I have already heard back from six of the people I contacted. One of the sponsors said they are no longer supporting the bill after more research and hearing from people.

Here is part of one of the responses that I got from another representative:
Thank you for your feedback. I am certainly open to hear your concerns on this proposed bill.

I would like to say, in Rep. Baxter’s defense, that there was no ulterior motive at work to incrementally allow rifles to be used in deer hunting. In fact, I believe his primary motive in submitting this bill was to allow youth and disable hunters an option for using something with less recoil than a shotgun.

I just wrote my representative and one of the sponsors (who I used to work with). Here is what I sent:

I am writing to ask you to oppose HF2047 which allows straight walled ammunition to be used in long rifles for deer hunting. It is currently restricted to youth gun seasons and any disabled season. I am a huge supporter of hunting, am passionate about youth hunting, and support greater opportunities for disabled hunters. But, I think this bill is unnecessary and sets a dangerous precedent. This seems like the first step in allowing rifles in more and more gun seasons and this is absolutely the wrong direction. Our deer herd is rebounding the last year or two from serious overhunting and we do not need to take any steps back towards the rifle seasons we had for a few years. Iowa has great deer hunting because of the seasons we currently have. Keeping guns out of the rut (November) and rifles out entirely are key reasons for our excellent hunting. I don’t think those should be messed with.

Our youth have excellent hunting opportunities, even more than my sons had just a few years ago. If there is concern about too much recoil with a shotgun, they can use a muzzleloader which can be very effective and set up with a load that would have less recoil than these rifles.

I love how our elected officials try to disguise there agenda by putting youth and the disabled in this bill. I'm not a gun guy but I don't like the sound of what this bill is about.
One of the sponsors is my elected officials so I will have to rip him (in a nice way)

Emails will be sent Sunday. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure this is disguised or an intentional step, but I am concerned about where it will lead. I'm having a very constructive email conversation with one of the legislators who sponsored the bill. He is genuinely asking for my views and rational and I'm doing that in a positive way. I appreciate his position and that he is willing to listen to mine. Our conversation has ventured into the January rifle season and I'm letting him know my opposition to any effort to reinstate that season as well.

I emailed my representative but I'm have trouble finding all the other sponsors address. I need some help:eek: thanks

Top Bottom