Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifle usage HF 2047

I'm having a VERY good conversation with Mr. Greg Heartsill. He is a sportsman as well and not only has asked me questions regarding this bill but also about the late rifle season from a few years ago.

Please take a few minutes and contact them with your concerns but do it politely - I have all of their email addresses on page 4 of this thread.

Mr. Heartsill was very open to hearing what I had to say. Mr. Baxter, not so much. He believes slugs are too expensive and kick too hard for youth and that muzzle loaders are too hard to clean and wound too many deer as there is no 2nd shot. My point back to him is no one is forced to buy sabots slugs, muzzle loaders are a great option and I believe a single shot is actually better for someone learning to hunt. My main point is this is not necessary and I am most concerned with where this goes next one rifles are back in Iowa seasons. Please voice your opinion.

Due to time restraints Sunday I sent out seven emails and only one has replied back and that was Mr. Heartsill. Here is a email he received from the sponsor Mr. Baxter.
It seems to me we now live in a society where everyone needs a participation trophy and this bill states that very well for me. Please read the letter Mr Baxter sent to Mr Heartsill. ( Quote )

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts on this bill.

I reached out to the lead sponsor, Rep. Terry Baxter, and asked him to address these concerns. Below is an excerpt of his response:

"I am providing an update on HF 2047. This bill does not establish any new gun seasons. We are filing an amendment to include the word "firearm" in line 7 to make it read the same as in line 12. This was a drafting oversight and will be corrected. It does not make them available for bow season. This bill in no way makes handguns legal for youth.

"The reason for this bill is to create a low recoil option to shotguns and slugs and black power for youth and disabled adults. I am part of the bipartisan Legislative Sportsman Caucus both in Iowa and nationally. We are working hard to introduce the next generation to hunting, fishing, target shooting and outdoor activities in general. One solution seems to be the manufactured rifles that shoot straight walled ammunition like a .40 SW, .357 and .44 mag. They are very pleasant to shoot and relatively cheap. They also are short ranged and not a "high powered rifle." Modern sabot slugs run $10 -$15 for a box of 5. This straight walled ammunition for these manufactured rifles cost $14 to $25 for a box of 50. This means parents and their youth can get out to the range for target practice prior to season. This results in both safety and shooting proficiency.

"I have two daughters that quit gun hunting after shooting 20 gauge slugs. They hunted one season and never returned because they were hurt by the recoil. Black powders can be loaded down, but the clean-up mess is negative and getting a second shot is very difficult. This next generation of youth do not like seeing game suffer. That sometimes happens often with black powder because of the inability to get a second shot.

"The states of Michigan and Ohio have both legalized these rifles during shotgun seasons with huge success and public support. They have found them ideal for rural areas with more residential homes than what we have in the state of Iowa. They have proven to be extremely safe and the ideal entry level alternatives for youth."

Were his children too young for the gun? Were they too busy with other school activities? Were they un- or ill-equipped to take the mental responsibility for taking a life? I don't want to cast aspersions on the Representative or his family, but perhaps the recoil was a convenient excuse.

^^^^ Agreed that's just what I thought when I read his response. It seems to me its convenient for his family.

I received the same reply. You can see my reply and Mr. Baxter's final reply below. He is convinced this is the way to get more kids hunting. What gun to shoot is not the issue for kids - it is land access and a mentor.

If you want this defeated, it will take more voices of sportsman to stop. I don't appreciate his playing the "we must stick together to defeat the antis" argument. I guess that only works from his perspective as he could "stick with my view" so we can defeat the antis, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Thanks Roger,

I appreciate the interaction on this subject. I am committed to promote sportsmen issues on every front. We need a united voice to counter the anti hunters.

The big concern across the country is the challenge of reaching the next generation. It is alarming what the statistics are showing. In the end, if we do not reach the youth and introduce them to hunting ... our sport will one day come to an end for everyone because we will be overwhelmed by the growing voice and number of anti hunters. That was the sobering conclusion of the National Legislative Sportsman's Caucus in Vermont this past summer.

I believe this bill will introduce several hundred new youth to the sport of shooting and hunting in the state of Iowa every year. We desperately need them!

Thanks again,

Terry Baxter

State Representative
Iowa House District 8
Home: (641) 829-3580
Cell: (641) 210-9656

Co Founder: GoServ Global
Office: (515) 448-3131

On Jan 25, 2016, at 10:32 PM, Roger Jackson < wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I know this bill does not establish any new gun seasons, but I am afraid that is the next step. That’s how these things generally happen. Crossbows for disabled, then crossbows in the late season and pretty soon there will be pressure for crossbows in the regular bow season. Rifles for youth, rifles for disabled, and pretty soon there will be pressure for rifles in the shotgun season.

There already is a low recoil option for youth and disabled – it is muzzle loaders. I am all for introducing kids to hunting and have applied to be a mentor as part of the Save the Hunt program here in Iowa. If I can’t take the time to clean a muzzle loader, then I really don’t have much desire to help. Maybe the kid should learn to clean the muzzle loader as that is part of the hunting process. Modern sabot slugs are not needed if they want to use a shotgun. Regular slugs at a few dollars a box will work fine for 50 yard shots – which should be the limit anyway for a youth getting started.

I’m sorry your daughters didn’t continue to hunt. I also started my son with a 20 gauge and slugs and he didn’t like it on the range. So, I switched to a muzzle loader and he loved it. Both of my sons have killed numerous deer with muzzle loaders during youth seasons, shotgun season and late muzzle loader seasons. I see no need to introduce rifles in Iowa.

No one, who is a true hunter, likes to see game suffer. My view, and the view of many, is that the best way to make sure game does not suffer it to start a child out with one shot. There is much more focus when there is only one shot instead of thinking about how to get the next shot off. I completely disagree that game suffers more with muzzle loaders. I hunted with a muzzle loader during shotgun season and often did far better than hunters with 5 slugs in a gun. I waited for a stopped broadside deer and made a killing shot while they would blast away at a running deer with multiple shots.

So, while I appreciate your desire to get more youth involved, I think this bill is the wrong way to go. It will be a stepping stone to rifles in more and more seasons.

I do appreciate your service, your dedication to hunting, but I disagree with you on this particular item.

Thanks for listening,
Roger

This bill has been renumbered and is now sponsored by the Committee on Natural Resources HF 2358:

HF 2358 (LSB 5311HV (1) 86)

HOUSE FILE 2358

BY COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES

(SUCCESSOR TO HF 2047)
A BILL FOR

An Act relating to the use of a straight wall cartridge rifle to hunt deer and including penalties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:

Section 1. Section 481A.48, Code 2016, is amended by adding the following new subsection:
NEW SUBSECTION. 6. The commission shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A allowing the use of straight wall cartridge rifles to hunt deer as follows:
a. A straight wall cartridge rifle may be used to hunt deer during any established firearm deer hunting season except early muzzleloader season by a person who has a valid deer hunting license and is otherwise qualified to hunt.
b. A straight wall cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.
c. A person possessing a prohibited rifle while hunting deer commits a scheduled violation under section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph “h”, subparagraph (6).

Sec. 2. Section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph h, Code 2016, is amended by adding the following new subparagraph:
NEW SUBPARAGRAPH. (6) Possession of a prohibited rifle while hunting deer, the scheduled fine is one hundred dollars.

EXPLANATION
The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
the explanation’s substance by the members of the general assembly.
This bill requires the natural resource commission to adopt rules allowing the use of straight wall cartridge rifles to hunt deer during any established firearm deer hunting season except early muzzleloader season. The straight wall cartridge rifles allowed must be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer.
A violation of the bill’s provisions is punishable with a scheduled fine of $100.

Take note, the youth and disability provision has been removed.

What I would like to know does the rifle have to shoot the exact same ammunition as an approved pistol? shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall ammunition In other words I own a Bushmaster 450. It shoots a caliber that is allowed but the cartridge, to my knowledge doesn't fit in any pistols. Would my 450 Bushmaster be allowed based solely on straight wall and caliber?

Legislation should be called "50 Shades of Gray" because somebody, just like in the book, is gonna get screwed.

We have this law in Indiana and I must say that since it went into practice there have been a lot of people purchasing rifles and having custom rounds, etc being made. These gums a re tack drivers for sure. However I do admit I have not seen a decline in numbers or quality of our herd. We will see how the next 5 years pan out but the one buck rule we have is also helping the herd in my opinion.

Top Bottom