Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut forcasts

Lwadzie

Lwadzie
Ive been tryin to see a rut prediction for this year based on weather and timing, wondering what your guys thoughts are? I heard it may be early but then again ive heard that before and it usually still doesnt kick off in southern iowa until november 5-9. Any opinions or two cents would be appreciated

A little early to tell as no weather pattern over the last 4 years have been "normal or expected" Last year in southern iowa it seemed the best day was November 6th- sooooo- if I was going to bed- I would say around Nov 3-9th range.........but being Aug 5th- total guess and hoping im right:)

Always seems to be a few days towards the end of October where things get wild, then slows down a bit.....then goes nuts from the Nov 3rd-12th.....

Always seems to be a few days towards the end of October where things get wild, then slows down a bit.....then goes nuts from the Nov 3rd-12th.....[/QUOTE

I believe every year its the same timeing, just the amount of activity we see is tied to weather, full moon and other variables.

Dates are always around the same time. What human activity or lack thereof ,in your particular area, has a strong bearing on what you will see. Once again I predict warm weather for Oct and Nov. I always predict that and,, 7 out of the last 8 yrs I've been right, so going for that! Unfortunately:mad:

Always seems to be a few days towards the end of October where things get wild, then slows down a bit.....then goes nuts from the Nov 3rd-12th.....

I see the same thing... mature buck activity around Oct 26... then slow until the 6th of November.

I hunt 4 different counties Des Moines,Henry,Jefferson and Louisa and it seems that different areas get good at different times. I have been keeping records of my areas and my friends areas in these counies for rut action, sightings and kills. You'll be surprised that areas consistantly "start up" around the same time every year. Is it the does cycle in that area? I dont know but I know my areas and rotate around and have good luck every year. I take off Nov. 1st through the 25th every year just to cover my bases, and never miss a night after the 24th of October. Killed some slammers on the 28th of Oct. three times.
But if I could only take a week off it would have to be Nov. 2nd - 10th. Never miss the 7th!

Last edited:
The Rutting Moon is my trigger, 6 x 6 is correct in his statement. We all can agree the weather has been goofy this year, I am betting on a early frost and with the moon full on October 19th you might be surprised the amount of activity we see early this year. Yep, if you have only a week off we all could agree again the 2nd through the 10th of November is tough to beat every year.

Thats a big window!

Yeah, I know. I'm definitely not an expert by any means...but one thing I'm certain of is that there is no certainty of when the best time to be in a tree is. If I could put my money on anything, it would be the weather. I'd take a bitter cold day on Nov. 25th over a warm day on Nov. 7th. For me personally, I've never tagged a buck before Nov. 10th, and all of my trail cam data shows mature deer movement during the day peaking around Nov. 12th, and again around the 20th. I've personally seen the biggest buck of my life on the 26th of November who was out cruising for does. Then again, I can remember one afternoon on October 28th a few years back where I saw a giant 8 point tending a doe out in an alfalfa field 50 yards from my stand, and he wouldn't leave her.

I guess that's why I conclude that if its late October or November any time, get in a tree. Cold weather just increases your chances. I'm taking the 11th-15th and Thanksgiving week off this year.

I saw more big bucks (150+) on Oct 28th last season than I saw the whole rest of the season. It was cold and frosty that morning and they were walking out in the open. The first 6 days of Novemeber, the biggest buck I saw was 120" You just never know...

Yeah, I know. I'm definitely not an expert by any means...but one thing I'm certain of is that there is no certainty of when the best time to be in a tree is. If I could put my money on anything, it would be the weather. I'd take a bitter cold day on Nov. 25th over a warm day on Nov. 7th. For me personally, I've never tagged a buck before Nov. 10th, and all of my trail cam data shows mature deer movement during the day peaking around Nov. 12th, and again around the 20th. I've personally seen the biggest buck of my life on the 26th of November who was out cruising for does. Then again, I can remember one afternoon on October 28th a few years back where I saw a giant 8 point tending a doe out in an alfalfa field 50 yards from my stand, and he wouldn't leave her.

I guess that's why I conclude that if its late October or November any time, get in a tree. Cold weather just increases your chances. I'm taking the 11th-15th and Thanksgiving week off this year.

I LOVE thanksgiving week. Killed 2 good bucks last year that week and always see good buck movement.

I am thinking about taking nov 9th through the 17th Will that be to late I usually take the first full week of nov.? I have shot a 157" 9 pointer on october 29th but most of my wall hangers have been taken between the 9th-12th of november.

Last edited:
I take the week of Halloween and the following week off every year the just do weekends but that has never been necessary.....usually 6 to 7 days after the rutting moon the really get going my bet would be Oct 26 through the 10th this yr then again Thanksgiving week

Top Bottom