Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut forcasts

If i had to decide on a week to take off it would be the 8th-15th. I have killed 2 of my biggest bucks on the 8th and my BIGGEST on the 13th. But like everyone else, i have seen bucks locked down with a doe as early as 10/25 and as late as Thanksgiving. I actually killed a 165" deer on thanksgiving morning and him and another mature buck were chasing a doe.

I have a little time to type this in now so here it goes:

I have mentioned the moon and the how we could see an early rut. Others have mentioned dates and times that they have been successful but really it depends on the phase of the rut we are setting up to hunt.
I will steal from Charles J. Alsheimer because I respect his work.

The Seeking Phase usually occurs as the rutting moon approaches, testosterone is building in our bucks and they are looking for does coming into heat. Rubs, scrapes and other activities become almost feverish. This is one of the best times to be on stand.

The Chase Phase not to be confused with the Seeking Phase has some overlap but the huge difference is our bucks start to look like cutting horses, they are chasing does down almost trying to herd them. The full or rutting moon is in place and its usually 2 or 3 days after a full rutting moon. This can be a difficult time to hunt because the action can take them out if range.

The Breeding Phase is what gives the rut it's name. Does are in heat and will accept a bucks company. Scraping usually ceases and activity actually slows down. It usually begins 7 days after the Rutting Moon and usually lasts a good 2 to 3 weeks. Now, this will stir you all up, this can be the most difficult time to hunt. Does move very little. Strategy has to be to sit in doe's core areas where the breeding takes place.

The definition of a rutting moon is the second full moon after the autumnal equinox and this being one of the main triggers for the rut.

So, in conclusion, if the rutting moon is October 19th this year, and the 2 or 3 days leading into it are the best on stand for overall activity, what does that do to our thesis of hunt Halloween until Thanksgiving?

Crazy, just a FYI that I am studying.

Also, in my opinion it depends what phase you are trying to hunt to kill a mature buck!

PS: last year was early too according to the moon, I saw some difference but November was still and always will be the main month.

I'd say breeding will take place the same as it has every other year. What we see is not always what is really going on. Peak chasing is usually from Halloween till about the 10-13th of November in my area. Then they lock down with does and it picks back up around the 20th from what I have seen and what trail cam pics say over quite a few years.

Obviously really warm temps will shut down movement, but they are still breeding around the same time every year.

November 9th is my favorite day to be in the woods. Second is November 7th then Halloween. I have seen the most active big bucks on those days. Last year was no exception either.

I actually agree with everyone, my favorite day to hunt is 11/13 but I have been watching these moon years creep up and I am really interested in how the moon affects the whitetail.

The pre-rut activity is where I need to do a better job with things like mock scrapes, rattling, etc. I would enjoy the feedback this fall and can do it by simply following the website.

No matter what time it happens, the thrill is beyond words when he does step out and we all get that shot of a lifetime.

In my area SE-IA, scrapes rarely get going until first of Nov. Best seeking-chasing around 8th to 13th of Nov,,then,,like last season,,bucks,,except for young ones-GONE-. I got a statewide license to hunt last week of Nov right up to Dec. Waste of time. Hardly any deer. Won't do that again. Every area different though.

I actually agree with everyone, my favorite day to hunt is 11/13 but I have been watching these moon years creep up and I am really interested in how the moon affects the whitetail.

Sometimes the moon seems spot on and sometimes it does not for movement. I think hunting pressure plays a bigger role in seeing moon movement. Areas with high pressure make the deer not really care about moving when the moon says too if that is 2 pm IMO :D

Caveat to late November is yearling does finally coming into heat. I always see my largest most mature bucks late in November.

Top Bottom