Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saskatchewan Whitetail Hunt

Bait is unfair to kill an animal, but having a gun is fair? Come on .

We do draw lines in the sand all the time. Some states put baiting bans in place and the laws were enacted specifically because they felt is was "unfair". Whether you agree or not.
Not necessarily trying to keep the baiting debate going or sit here and cast stones at baiting, I'm just saying, we put lines in the sand for what's fair.... Is shooting a deer out a car window fair? Still killing an animal. Is setting a trap to catch & kill a deer fair? Hunting at night with night vision or a spotlight? Each state & citizens decide what's fair in the end through law and yes, I do have my opinions on the matter but that's not my point. There's things that I can legally do now that I'll never engage in. I'm not here to throw stones and one Joe Schmo's opinion (me) doesn't matter anyways.

I just think it's INTERESTING (and that's it - not saying one is right or wrong) how Alberta you cannot bait and SK you can. I am interested in the difference in the quality of hunting, tactics, monster buck success, etc when comparing the 2 places.

If it's a legal method within your state, then by all means go for it. I'm not going to judge someone how they hunt, just get out and enjoy yourself!!!!

Holy crap, what a thread turn. lol

I can't see how a guy can compare a 10'x10' pile of bait you dump there (100 square feet & 15 yards away or however far you want it) VS 5 acres of plots or 100 acre field

I believe the law here says 5 gallons of grain and one bale. Do not quote me on that but it is somewhere in that ballpark.

Correct me if I am wrong, have I not seen trail cam pics on this very website taken after summer that were over corn?

I believe the law here says 5 gallons of grain and one bale. Do not quote me on that but it is somewhere in that ballpark.

Correct me if I am wrong, have I not seen trail cam pics on this very website taken after summer that were over corn?

Absolutely, hunting them with a camera over bait is legal in iowa (done before & after hunting season generally). Hunting them with a weapon over bait is illegal in iowa.

Also, out of honest interest, does Alberta outlaw baiting? How does that impact hunting there and what's hunting for top end monsters compare to against SK from your experience living in that part of the world and see what goes on to your west?

I would say you probably did see that, but baiting is prohibited while deer hunting in Iowa. Some will use corn, and other items, to attract deer to an area prior to the beginning of the hunting season.

IMO, there is plenty of gray area on this subject and many, many opinions about what is legal and illegal when it comes to baiting. The law as written is pretty vague to me and then you have differing interpretations from CO's on top of that.

I Think when it comes to that best secret place to hunt deer (but keep it a secret) is Iowa is basically along the lines "to each their own".............I truly think it all depends on what a person wants out of their hunt. Some people the best place to hunt doesn't mean the highest scoring deer but the experience and scenery. If I was going to just go off of that- I would saw going out west or up north in Canada would take the edge- and I am sure up north has giants- I have seen plenty from up there and I see Sasks crazy shed thread (JEALOUS) but for me tagging out on a larger than normal buck would have to be southern iowa (some parts EHD is changing that) and as far as eating them- I will stick with Iowa has the best tasting cornfed deer of anywhere I have had. I have eaten deer from north of the border- MN, WI, TX, south of the border etc and it is certainly hard to beat a Midwest corn fed whitetail:) ...but you know what they say....Opinions are like A#$ holes.......

I Think when it comes to that best secret place to hunt deer (but keep it a secret) is Iowa is basically along the lines "to each their own".............I truly think it all depends on what a person wants out of their hunt. Some people the best place to hunt doesn't mean the highest scoring deer but the experience and scenery. If I was going to just go off of that- I would saw going out west or up north in Canada would take the edge- and I am sure up north has giants- I have seen plenty from up there and I see Sasks crazy shed thread (JEALOUS) but for me tagging out on a larger than normal buck would have to be southern iowa (some parts EHD is changing that) and as far as eating them- I will stick with Iowa has the best tasting cornfed deer of anywhere I have had. I have eaten deer from north of the border- MN, WI, TX, south of the border etc and it is certainly hard to beat a Midwest corn fed whitetail:) ...but you know what they say....Opinions are like A#$ holes.......

Good point. The place I like hunting the best is not where I could shoot the "highest scoring deer". If I thought about the most ideal place to hunt, very basically speaking, here's what I'd want.....
The most quiet & low pressure areas possible where deer are able to make it to maturity. Less people & people problems the better. Canada is appealing because there's vast areas that see very few people and you don't have a million yahoo's doing who knows what that occur in high population areas. The exact reason I don't want to do a "CITY HUNT" where you can shoot mammoth deer but it's a headache with all the people, competition, noise, disturbances, etc. My farm is thankfully very peaceful but a lot of areas in iowa are not. Give me low pressure, less people, old mature bucks BUT might score lower and I'll hunt that situation any day.

I just think it's INTERESTING (and that's it - not saying one is right or wrong) how Alberta you cannot bait and SK you can. I am interested in the difference in the quality of hunting, tactics, monster buck success, etc when comparing the 2 places.
I do not know if I have the answer Skip. I guess it is comparable to the question "why does Iowa not allow it but Kansas and Ohio do?" Simply a law passed by one government and not another for whatever reasons. You cannot to the East of SK in Manitoba yet west of Alberta in British Columbia you can.

I do know that the forested areas of Alberta are somewhat different than Saskatchewan simply due to huge amounts of oil exploration. This in turn has created more of an agriculture type environment in those forests as those areas are put into alfalfa or clover to prevent erosion and in turn making the tactics for hunting the two forested regions quite different. In Alberta it would be common to sit watching a gas line that was planted into what is a desirable food source for deer whereas in Saskatchewan, the native food source in the forest would be native plants, browse etc and the locations of them would be, well anywhere the deer decided to eat them. However, both provinces have extensive agricultural lands too, so who really knows why in one place you can and the other you cannot. I do not know if the tactics from one place would be a whole bunch different aside from those who use bait, I would guess that many more do not than do here in SK.

I do know from talking to guys from Alberta that travel here to hunt that a major difference is land access. Alberta has four times the people than SK, they also allow outfitting pretty much anywhere whereas in Sask it happens on public lands. Obviously that changes things for the average Joe. I know men from Calgary, Alberta's largest city who simply do not even whitetail hunt Alberta but instead come here because they can gain access to 1000's of acres in a day of asking permission and back home, public mountainous regions are the only places they can get on due to outfitters tying up private ground and/or small parcels of land due to the urban sprawl as well as more competition for lands simply due to population.

In terms of success, both are quite similar. Saskatchewan I believe has 6 separate 200" net typical bucks as opposed to Alberta's 1, but on the flip side, Alberta has more giant non typicals than Saskatchewan does. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to monster buck success. In terms of ratio, I believe Saskatchewan puts out more giants than they do, I have read somewhere that 1 in a 1000 deer shot in Sask are Boone and Crocket size deer, I doubt Alberta is that high.

At the end of the day, I guess it's all speculation on my part, I do not know with certainty as I have never hunted there nor do I aim to. I have heard it from the horse's mouth enough times that there is no comparison between the two, that is why the number of people travelling here from there to hunt is huge when compared to the opposite. Like I said, I do not know for sure, I simply have to take their word for it.

Top Bottom