Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Score thoughts

I shot a deer very similar last yr....mine went 150....yours has a little better get 2s. ...he goes mid 150s

I say he'll come in just shy if the 150 mark. Cool deer though, he'd b on my radar as well. Whatcha thinking for age? Good luck on him.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Looks like a straight waist line and long legs..... maybe only 3.5?? If so it would be cool to see him blow up too. Sent from my iPhone using IW

We are thinking he is pry 4 1/2, compared to last years video and shed... however I received word someone stuck an arrow through him high in the dead zone in the middle of the back. We have photos of him now walking around with a hole in the back during the middle of the day, so I am going to go with thats not a good sign. We are making a big push this weekend and sitting as much as we can to try to put him down..

We are thinking he is pry 4 1/2, compared to last years video and shed... however I received word someone stuck an arrow through him high in the dead zone in the middle of the back. We have photos of him now walking around with a hole in the back during the middle of the day, so I am going to go with thats not a good sign. We are making a big push this weekend and sitting as much as we can to try to put him down..

Bummer news and good luck.

There is no such thing as a "dead zone" or "void" that people always talk about above the lungs and below the spine. It is impossible.
Above the spine and straight through the Loin is what actually happens. The spine dips very low above the shoulders of a deer and can give the appearance that you hit them better than you thought.
I believe your deer will be just fine unless he gets a serious infection that he cant fight off.
If your seeing him moving during the day it may be him going to water as he more than likely more blood than on a normal day and is trying to fight off a fever and is sticking close to water or it could be as simple as it hurts to lay down.
I hope it all works out for you but ive seen deer survive some truly amazing things

Rich is right there is no dead zone. It's people hitting forward above the spine. In terms of hitting back, a deer can stay alive for some time. In 2007 I shot a buck at 42 yards. I hit high right in front of the hind quarter and passed through. I shot him on Oct 22nd. My good buddy killed him in ML on the last day. The wound was healed but had the broad head 3 blade mark on each side. Honestly I can't say how that deer lived that long and how I didn't bust his spine or cut a major artery. My wound was 4-6 inch below the top of his back. It went under the spine and delivered visible shock upon field dressing. I think it was just one of those extremely freak moments like pat reeves in Wisconsin. I'd bet a deer hit there 100 more times would result in death 99 of those 100.

Another very strange hit was filmed was the t - bone/waddel tag team in mexico. They said the deer traveled close to a mile with an absolute 10 ring hit before being shot again. Some deer have either organs placed a little off or an amazing ability not to give up the ghost.
They are tough animals and can survive some serious trama at times

He's definitely in the 150s but is younger than you think . My opinion is 3.5 year old and if he somehow survives the high hit will be something very special next year or the year after

If you're going by gross score, which is what I like to judge by personally, I think he'll be upper 150s and maybe hit the 160 mark. He's got good mass and pretty good tine length throughout, the width hurts a little but the mass makes up for it. Definitely a nice deer and I'd at least send one flying at him if given the chance! Good luck and safe hunting!!

I put a 3 year old buck down for a neighbor that shot him the day before high in the shoulder with bow and broke that shoulder so he was going on 3 legs when I shot him. With the entire arrow still in him, on the doe trail right to where he was shot the day before. :)

He was looking for a doe and not a care in the world mid-day. Your buck moving mid-day could be bad, but could just be that it is the time of year???

Another very strange hit was filmed was the t - bone/waddel tag team in mexico. They said the deer traveled close to a mile with an absolute 10 ring hit before being shot again. Some deer have either organs placed a little off or an amazing ability not to give up the ghost.
They are tough animals and can survive some serious trama at times

A dime gets you a dollar that deer was shot with an expandable broadhead that failed to expand, resulting in a puncture wound chest pass through. Little bleeding and hole too small to collapse lungs. It's the only way that deer went that far with that hit! Don't know what broadhead T-Bone was shooting that day, but he didn't advertise it on that show & I don't want one... Sorry but it had nothing to do with organs misplaced.

A high shot in the middle of the back won't be anymore than a minor inconvenience to the buck Flugge is talking about. That, and eventually a tough spot of scar tissue in the middle of the backstrap. He'll be fine, at least until you catch up with him. Good luck tagging him.

Top Bottom