Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shotguns

josh macfarland

I'm fixing to get a new shotgun in a week or 2. I want a semi-auto. I looked at 2 different stoeger shotguns the 2000 and the 3500 I'm going to get in max-4 camo pattern. Have any of yall owned one or heard good or bad things about them? Do y'all prefer any other semi-auto shotguns within a $600 price range?

I looked into this a while ago. you want for turkeys & geese too? I only needed for pheasants & rabbits and I really like the Benelli Ultra Light & the M1, which I found for $980-1250. More than you are talking and I only needed 3". For turks & geese, you pry want 3.5". BUT.... I have heard some good stuff about Stoeger - and a lot of others. What I did is went to some stores with wide selection and swung em around and got a feel for all types from Benelli to Browning to Remington to Beretta to Winchester, etc, etc. I think you'll have some that feel better than others and that's just a personal thing you'll have to find out from hands on experience. I'd question folks at store too and maybe go a couple different times before deciding. just my 2 cents.

I don't get why people are so enamored with 3.5'' I haven't see a 3.0'' that couldn't be as effective in any situation. I have a Benelli Montefeltro in 3.0'' and it has been an awesome Turkey and all around shotgun.

Oh, I liked the Montefeltro as well. I am fine with 3". BUT, it was pretty fun to sit with my buddy when he smashed a turkey with his 10 gauge, the distance those things can pummel critters is incredible. I don't quite have that confidence with 3" but it gets job done for me.

if you aren't going to use it for geese, get the 3" chamber. stoegers are good guns. you won't be dissappointed. keep an eye open at the gunshows, you might find a benelli M1 for the same price

Oh, I liked the Montefeltro as well. I am fine with 3". BUT, it was pretty fun to sit with my buddy when he smashed a turkey with his 10 gauge, the distance those things can pummel critters is incredible. I don't quite have that confidence with 3" but it gets job done for me.

I agree, the 3.5'' can definitely reach out and touch something, but for a smaller or even bigger guy, they pack a hell of a punch, which can get unpleasant after and entire day of shooting.

I will be posting up some photos of my Montefeltro after putting on the Mossy Oaks gun graphic kit, it looks AWESOME would definitely recommend this kit over paying more for a dipped gun.

gundog870 said:
a2000 have a lot of issues with poor firing pins.

When was the gun made I've been doing a ton of research on on each gun. The 2000 seemed to have bad years when first came out but the newer ones are better from what I have found out

I have a model 2000, i have had it for probably around 5 years. I have put a lot of rounds through the gun and just recently i started having problems with it firing.

Ive done a ton of reading reviews about the m2000 and 3500. I have readed enough bad about each gun and I think I may go with a remington 11-87 12 ga

i bought a stoeger 2000 a couple years back, love it! i'v shot clays and deer with it and havent had any problems with it yet. i got mine on sale for about $450 you just cant beat that for a semi auto!

I recently got a Mossberg 935 Magnum semi auto. Brand new this gun is only about five hundred dollars. It is the best gun I have ever shot. It shoots slugs like a dream. I shot winchester 3" Magnum slugs thru it this year and it was the most accurate slug gun Iver ever shot without a slug barrel. Its awesome!!!

I have a Mossberg 935 also. I use mine for turkey and waterfowl. Great gun. In fact, most of the time I grab that gun before I grab my SBEII. I've had it for about 5 yrs, and have shot over 1000 rds with no problems what so ever. I love the accuracy and the distance I get shooting 3 1/2" loads. I can tip over turks at 80 + yds on a calm day, and can drop geese @ 50+ yds on a regular basis. I have never used it for deer hunting, so can't give an opinion on that. I've heard very good things about the Stoeger's though and was actually thinking about picking one up.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I haven't done any serious research on Stoegers, but I've always heard good things about them. Having said that, I'll throw in another plug for the Rems. I have three 1100s and one 1187 turkey gun. GREAT shotguns!

I have a Mossberg 935 also. I use mine for turkey and waterfowl. Great gun. In fact, most of the time I grab that gun before I grab my SBEII. I've had it for about 5 yrs, and have shot over 1000 rds with no problems what so ever. I love the accuracy and the distance I get shooting 3 1/2" loads. I can tip over turks at 80 + yds on a calm day, and can drop geese @ 50+ yds on a regular basis. I have never used it for deer hunting, so can't give an opinion on that. I've heard very good things about the Stoeger's though and was actually thinking about picking one up.

This will be my next Turkey gun, being left handed I love how Mossberg has the universal safety on top of the receiver. I want the newer model with the pistol grip. Mossberg gets a bad rap because people view them as cheap, but they make no frill guns that perform very nicely cosmetics aside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom