Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should have mounted him!

Bucknduck

For conversations sake, how many of you have shot a nice buck and regret not getting him mounted. Was he was either not quite big enough, the wife, or did you not have the money?

I haven't shot any monsters in my life time, but I do have one that I wish I would have put on the wall. It was my first archery buck and he scored right at 140, but I just went with a European mount. It turned out pretty good, but it just doesn't do him justice. Anyone else in that boat?

Plaque mounts or euro mounts are great by me, and are nearly equal in reminding me of the hunt, etc. But if you have a euro mount and really want a full shoulder mount, all it'll take is a cape...maybe of one you shoot this fall ??? Good luck :way:

NWBuck

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
In retrospect, I wish I would have had my first (and only so far) Coue's whitetail done into a full shoulder mount. At the time, money was tight and my first shot (quartering away from me on a run) hit him right through the face. I knew pretty much nothing about taxidermy and thought it was ruined. Now, I want to have it done up with a spare Coue's cape. It deserves to be on the wall!

I have filled a room with heads and now only do euros. No regrets, the trophy is still in tac and the memories of the experience are clear. 170 plus will still make the wall but I am not holding my breath. Have fun and don't regret your smart decisions.

I think from now on I am only doing euros unless it is 170+. or I guess a 160+ 8pointer. I kind of like Euros because you can hold the rack. Nothing like sitting on the couch holding the rack off a buck you shot. You can do it with a mount too you just get very wierd looks from the wife. ;)

You are going to find so many different answers to this topic. For me, I mount everything I shoot. I am a taxidermy freak, and love full shoulder deer mounts. There was a guy who lived in the town I was from named Tom Tucker. Some of you may know of him. He is an old school bow hunter who has killed a lot of deer. His basement was like a taxidermy museum. I still remember the first time I laid eyes on it. I want to be that guy....the one with 50 mounts on the wall. I know, a lot of people think it's weird, but I would love it!

I'll mount a Booner if I ever get one. I've got the rack mounted on a 148" and a 139" inch. Those are my 2 biggest. Some nice pictures usually do the trick for me.

The one I regret getting mounted was my archery kill from 07. Had 4 broken tines, 14 actual scorable points scoring 157. Would have pushed 175-180 without the broken tines.

All of them for me. If I had the room (someday) I would mount every single animal I shot, I am with Chris, I love full shoulder mounts and I love taxidermy (I always tell my wife that these are my picaso's :), once I get the land and pole barn they will all be mounted.

Kratz

Im the same way, I'd mount em all if I could afford it! I plan on having all species of turkeys mounted one day too. So far I have my Merriams, hes a strutter on on a limb. And my Texas Rio half body mount. Right now Im waitin on my Prairie Chicken to get back from the taxi. I love taxidermy! Ive always wanted to get a pair of every type of quail too, three types to go on those! Heck I had my elk mounted from two yrs ago and he doesnt even score 300, but hes my one and only elk so hes on the wall!

If I pull the trigger I plan on mounting him. Gonna even mount my nemesis doe if I get a shot at her this year.

i'm pretty much the same way. i won't shoot a buck that i don't plan to put on the wall. however, there have been a couple cases of ground shrinkage over the years...

All of them for me as well! I have very high standards and just knowing the amount of time I put in to kill those kind of deer, it's so nice being able to look at them on the wall and not only remeber the hunt, but all of the hard work and preperation that went into hunting them!

You'll never regret having one mounted, but you will definitely regret it if you don't.

Gonna even mount my nemesis doe if I get a shot at her this year.

Same here, she has no tail so that's how I can identify her. Four years she has been ruining hunts and needs to die. :grin: I might even mount her @$$ on the other side of the wall :D

I'm with Chris, Jarin and Scott on this one, but with a slightly different view. I don't really have a size limit, as its about the experience and a way to commemorate the hunt. Some deer may get a euro mount, but I already have tons of those, so now I shoot for shoulder mounts. They are artwork as far as I'm concerned and I love looking at them. I'd even like to have work done from several different taxi's.... :way:

Its all about the hunt for me and each mount represents the experience, time, effort, dedication and passion that went into pulling the trigger that time. EVERY buck I have shot has a place on my wall!

The deer gave the ultimate sacrifice for my enjoyment, I feel I owe it to them to display them appropriately. :drink2:

I didnt mount one of the bucks that i shot last year. But i usually go with ,if its worth shooting its worth mounting.But that attitude has me about full!

I wish I have mounted two locked bucks one flipped the other over its back so it is back to back . I dont know if they would look good on the wall.THA4 I have a doe named (monkey butt) eight years old with no tail she lives in my backyard she brings me a shooter buck every year the frist week of november she is my friend maybe someday dinner.

Don't remember regretting not having a deer mounted. There are a couple that I wish someone else had mounted, but that's another story. I really like taxidermy as does my wife so we've got a bunch. I thought I was running out of wall space until I discovered pedestal mounts. Now I can fill the center of the room rather than build more walls. :) Agree that each one is a great reminder of all that went into the hunt. I was kinda getting bored with the same ole same ole shoulder mounts, until I learned a little more about taxidermy and discovered the vast variety of positions, attitudes etc. that can be incorporated into a piece. Now it's almost a challenge to come up with an interesting new look or concept to challenge the taxidermist with. Gotta keep the young feller on his toes... :D

Top Bottom