Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sightings from Stand (11/29 - 12/6)

Everything ive been seeing the last couple days and tonight, they are concentrating on food sources. I put my wife on the edge of a corn field tonight and she shot a buck. There was another buck (smaller) and 3 does in the pack. They came out just after sunset

I went out tonight and saw two deer.. a young buck and a doe... I tried to stalk the doe but was not successful.. (I figured I wouldn't be) The young buck had his nose to the ground and went in the direction of where the does usually bed. The deer came out after 4pm.. They have been coming out pretty late recently..

Going out tomorrow. Where is everybody sitting food plots or funnels in cruising area. I'm leaning towards sitting in my funnel. Problem is i can't see much at all from this location and will be hunting by myself so won't have a report from any other parts of the farm.

I'm sitting along the timberline,overlooking a corn field, while watching a funnel.... LoL

I sat Wednesday night and tonight (Friday). Both times I have seen mature bucks. Does are grouped back up. Wednesday night, a 165+ 10pt that I saw about 3 weeks ago for the first time came out of the creek to the East of me about 80 yards. I tried calling to him, but he wasn't interested

Fast forward to tonight, got another south wind. Instead of going back to the stand I decided to set up in the actual creek on the opposite side of where the buck came out (it is a culvert that was put in to allow the farmer to get from one side of the field to the other with the creek dividing the field in half). So, I get in I can't see anything unless it comes out of the creek and uses the crossing.

Was a VERY slow sit, but right at 5:05 the same big 10Pt is running the fence line across from me. Heart starts pounding he goes down into the creek, I draw back thinking he is going to pop up 10 yards in front of me, but NOPE!!! He decides to just go down into the creek then pop back up and keep following the fence line instead of entering the field! Not 5 seconds later here comes another 150+ buck on the same trail does the exact same thing!!! Ends up, they were after a doe they stop about 60 yards to my left (no shot obviously with small overgrown trees growing alone the fence) and they both get into a fight over the doe. Was a cool hunt, but ANOTHER frustrating encounter!!! I really thought tonight was the night, another heart breaker. I have hunted hard, very hard some time it will workout!!

Long story short, two hunts in three days and seen 2 mature bucks! I am done with morning sits. Only evening sits now, and over some type of food source.

I sat Wednesday night and tonight (Friday). Both times I have seen mature bucks. Does are grouped back up. Wednesday night, a 165+ 10pt that I saw about 3 weeks ago for the first time came out of the creek to the East of me about 80 yards. I tried calling to him, but he wasn't interested

Fast forward to tonight, got another south wind. Instead of going back to the stand I decided to set up in the actual creek on the opposite side of where the buck came out (it is a culvert that was put in to allow the farmer to get from one side of the field to the other with the creek dividing the field in half). So, I get in I can't see anything unless it comes out of the creek and uses the crossing.

Was a VERY slow sit, but right at 5:05 the same big 10Pt is running the fence line across from me. Heart starts pounding he goes down into the creek, I draw back thinking he is going to pop up 10 yards in front of me, but NOPE!!! He decides to just go down into the creek then pop back up and keep following the fence line instead of entering the field! Not 5 seconds later here comes another 150+ buck on the same trail does the exact same thing!!! Ends up, they were after a doe they stop about 60 yards to my left (no shot obviously with small overgrown trees growing alone the fence) and they both get into a fight over the doe. Was a cool hunt, but ANOTHER frustrating encounter!!! I really thought tonight was the night, another heart breaker. I have hunted hard, very hard some time it will workout!!

Long story short, two hunts in three days and seen 2 mature bucks! I am done with morning sits. Only evening sits now, and over some type of food source.

I bet you can just scream! This whole year has been extremely frustrating.. I am about done at the spot I've been at for about two weeks... Of course, with my luck, I'll move and a mature buck will move in.. Might just try another spot and sit on the ground with a decoy out in front.

It's probably a good Idea your turning in the morning hunts.. I know it felt good getting that extra two hours or so of sleep..

I bet you can just scream! This whole year has been extremely frustrating.. I am about done at the spot I've been at for about two weeks... Of course, with my luck, I'll move and a mature buck will move in.. Might just try another spot and sit on the ground with a decoy out in front.

It's probably a good Idea your turning in the morning hunts.. I know it felt good getting that extra two hours or so of sleep..

Yeah, it has been like this going on 3 years. I certainly have been frustrated, but when I look back it still has been exciting. I try to not get too carried away because that is when hunting becomes "not fun", and part of the reason I hunt is to relieve stress and get away. When you are chasing mature deer though, regardless you do sometimes feel some pressure to get it done! I definitely get down sometimes, but I always try and reflect on hunts and see what I can do better next time or next year, etc.

Anytime someone kills a big buck from a tree with a bow they certainly have earned it! I don't care what anyone says, killing mature deer is hard!!

Part of me is certainly ready to see the season come to an end, always bittersweet!

last monday i had a nice 140 + come to bleets grunts and or the rattle , im kind of a one man band this time of year. had him at 15 yds past my wind and when i drew back he must have heard my bow or saw me from behind the tree i thought his eyes were. he started to trot to my left but was moving quickly so i panic and tried to stop him at 20 with the MEEERP! I have now named this buck Michael Jordan. He spun 180 deg juked to the left or right and bolted back to the bottom he came from 400pm... I was destroyed .... today same stand nothing in the morning , after short lunch break i climbed in and when my feet hit the platform a button buck i think rolled up and we stared each other dwn for a while. he was like a little kid hiding one eye behind a tree. guess my foot fall got him thinking i was a deer.. he wandered back dwn to his mamma and and another doe and small yearling they browsed on leaves b4 working out of bino range at 130pm girlfriend saw 4 deer at sunset on a ridge working out of the timber no antlers

Sitting overtop a food plot. Got in a bit before 2:30...sat in silence...around 4:05pm a decent 8 came out of the pines. He didn't stick around long...presented a shot, but I chose not to pull the string. After that...nothing.

Heading back out in the morning.

Yeah, it has been like this going on 3 years. I certainly have been frustrated, but when I look back it still has been exciting. I try to not get too carried away because that is when hunting becomes "not fun", and part of the reason I hunt is to relieve stress and get away. When you are chasing mature deer though, regardless you do sometimes feel some pressure to get it done! I definitely get down sometimes, but I always try and reflect on hunts and see what I can do better next time or next year, etc.

Anytime someone kills a big buck from a tree with a bow they certainly have earned it! I don't care what anyone says, killing mature deer is hard!!

Part of me is certainly ready to see the season come to an end, always bittersweet!

Very true... When you have a bow killing a big one is never a easy task. Think about how many times we see nice bucks but can't close the deal, quite often!!

Had a great morning today...... Except for sealing the deal. Got aggressive and moved the blind on the fringe of a bedding area. Set up with a doe decoy and I believe it ended up costing me. At daylight one of our top hit listers chased a doe in a cut bean field for an hour in front of me. He finally gave up on her and started heading my way. He got to 60 yards fully committed to the trail that would bring him 20 yards from me and seen the decoy and stopped. He stood there motionless staring for at least ten minutes. After he decided something was up he skirted me and entered the bedding area 60 yards east of me. I immediately closed the windows in the front of the blind and opened the back window facing the bedding area. Shortly after he walked by at 30 yards but offered no shot through the thick stuff. This was the 6th time that I had 150+ buck within 30 yards and never even got to pull the bow back, but that's what it's all about! Keep at it fellas!

Took a good buddy of mine out yesterday evening and put him in my stand- at 4:40 yesterday afternoon he shot a big non typical (2nd time ever in a tree stand- figures) only had 10" of arrow penetration and found the broken off arrow- we backed out last night and are back this morning to sit and track after.

Sat this morning...didn't see a thing...not looking good in my area.

Thursday Evening = Nothing
Friday Evening = Decent 8 point
Saturday Morning = Nothing

Beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time...although I've got 2 nice deer on camera, so it's hard to "give up".

Sat this morning...didn't see a thing...not looking good in my area.

Thursday Evening = Nothing
Friday Evening = Decent 8 point
Saturday Morning = Nothing

Beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time...although I've got 2 nice deer on camera, so it's hard to "give up".

You may want to consider giving up mornings for the rest of bow season.. You may end up running yourself ragged.. I had to do that on account I wasn't seeing anything worth getting up for and I was so tired from this past season... This was true only of the spot I was at.. If you go to a totally different spot it maybe the tale of two hunting spots..

They say the best movement for bucks is between 10 and 1:30 as that is the time they move due to hunting pressure.. Ofcourse, that's probably only true if they are in a cruising mood.. I'm sure they move throughout the course of the day, but how much? How far? I'm sure the closer you are to bedding areas... the better..

Last edited:
Slow morning for me this morning. Saw 5 deer, all does. Nice morning in the stand though! Sun came up and it was cozy warm facing east in the tree!

Took a good buddy of mine out yesterday evening and put him in my stand- at 4:40 yesterday afternoon he shot a big non typical (2nd time ever in a tree stand- figures) only had 10" of arrow penetration and found the broken off arrow- we backed out last night and are back this morning to sit and track after.
That's awesome that you got your buddy on a great buck! Keep as updated on the search...good luck!

Well went out last night to a standing bean food plot with about an acre of biologic last draw seed around it the deer were pounding the last draw does started to come out around three o clock then right at dark a good 10 came out and also an eight the eight went to the scrape tree and started rubbing the tree and the ten ran him off the field the nice 10 buck got within 20 yrds but couldnt get him stopped for shot . not a whole lot of chasing does going on but the bigger buck was defiantly not going to let the younger 8 around so could of been a doe that is going to be in heat soon. good luck to all still hunting.

Saw 10 this morning after 4 straight sits last weekend without seeing a deer. A ten pointer that I would have shot busted me as I went to stand to prepare for a shot. He was nudging and chasing a doe and would have come right underneath the stand. He was the only buck that I saw.

Dark to dark yesterday in bedding...morning slow, good buck cruising at 1:30, flurry of activity at dark with some chasing. No shooters.

Top Bottom