Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Small Plot Recommendations

petherss

Hey guys. I am looking for suggestions on what you would plant if you had limited land. I live on 10 acres and only have about 1 acre available to plant this year. My land is located in a somewhat agricultural area. Crops are rotated between corn and soys for the most part. I've tried soys/corn in the past and it's been a disaster (rookie mistake with weed control for the most part though). I have planted brassicas in the past and they do well.

I am mostly looking for a kill plot with cover in mind as well. The plot would butt up against 1.5 acres of mature hardwoods with a power line bordering it that the deer bed in. Should I do something like half corn for cover and half winter wheat in the fall? The deer devistate the brassicas in late January, but am looking for something to draw them in late October early November. Thanks guys! Oh yeah, soil is heavy clay.

With you being in an area that already has beans and corn I would go away from that. I would have suggested brassicas but if you want to go different for an October crop I would suggest winter rye planted late in the summer, like Laborday weekend.

Dean

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest winter rye

[/ QUOTE ]

You could mix some oats with it for early draw and the rye will continue on after heavy frosts.

I would iinclude brassicas in a portion of your plot for late season.

If your deer density is high and being so close to timber...I'm afraid deer, coons and squirrels would decimate an acre of corn very early on.

10 acres...you bet, but one acre...go with the cereal grains.
waytogo.gif

Thanks for the info guys. Last year I planted Green Patch from Biologic and it did quite well. I believe it is about 50% cereals and 50% brassicas. Sounds like that is my best bet. Also thought about planting in alfalfa/clover mix so that I get a good 3-5 years worth of crop. Will heavy clay sustain something like alfalfa? Seems like i've heard it needs to be planted in a well drained soil....

[ QUOTE ]
Will heavy clay sustain something like alfalfa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...mine is on heavy clay...but it is well drained. If the clay is in a bowl or low area then it would have poor drainage.

As long as water doesn't lay there...alfalfa would do well.

Sometimes extreme cold in the winter with no snow will heave the crowns but that is rare.

Top Bottom