Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoke as cover scent.

it just amazes me what people try and really think it works if you think that a mature buck is going to be fooled by smoke, your the fool and someone that plays the wind like me will kill him. So i guess im saying thanks in advance

No one is saying don't play the wind. A mature deer doesn't always come from where you think he will. I've never used smoke, but the science supports the cause. It's another arrow in your quiver to better your odds. No point is rousting someone about a technique. I don't do it and neither do you, but that doesn't mean it won't help.

I read on Archery Talk where many are using smoke as a cover scent. I did a quick search on here and didnt see any threads dedicated to it . I know bkcrrtnps mentioned it a few times but I have a hard time believing smoke works in Iowa due to our lack of natural fires. I figured since most IOWA fires are man made that deer would associate these fire with humans/danger and they wouldn't hang around but it seems to be quite the opposite ( Or so I read :D ) Lets hear it smoke users success or failure stories I want them all before I give it a go!

The deer still only have a brain of a deer don't give them that much credit. Sure all animals are afraid of fire and if I am in danger so am I:rolleyes:

it just amazes me what people try and really think it works if you think that a mature buck is going to be fooled by smoke, your the fool and someone that plays the wind like me will kill him. So i guess im saying thanks in advance

That's funny, I've never played the wind....ever and my wall and basement must be full of stupid mature deer

cool story but what about your breath, what about hours on end in a tree. deer can smell ten times better than a hound a little smoke isnt going to help you most likely hurt your chances you will be getting busted and not even know it.

Red man golden blend or select a person exhales 6 liters of scent an hr

i always play the wind my house is full to.

I'm not nocking those who don't just proving a point to the naysayers. I have had deer stop and smell it but not pay attention to it. I think the only problem a guy runs into is smoking it to much. If deer don't associate danger with smoke they pay little attention to it

bkcrrtnps - You are in Iowa correct? I have seen mixed results from different areas in the US so just curious. What kind of hardwoods do you suggest? We cut alot of Red Elms down for campfire and wood stove wood. Almost has a ham smell to it when you burn it.

The Scent Smoker uses the most basic tool known to the earliest hunters to mask human scent - smoke. More specifically, hardwood smoke. Smoke is a very common scent in the wild. From a forest fire in the Rocky Mountains, to wood-burning farmstead in the midwest, smoke is omnipresent and does not spook game. It is a naturally occuring fragrance, as common as wood itself.

Hardwood smoke not only has a strong, lingering fragrance, it is full of bacteria killing anti-microbials. More specifically Phenol (commonly known as carbolic acid, the first anti-septic). In fact, there are over 20 phenolic compounds present in hardwood smoke. This is why smoke has been used for hundreds of years to preserve meat. By "smoking" meat, the outer 1/8 inch of the meat's surface is protected from bacterial growth, and is therefore preserved from invading bacteria.

Lignin is the real magic of hardwood smoke. It is the "sticky" substance that causes the smell of smoke to adhere to clothing and skin. The antimicrobial phenolic compounds are present in the lignin, and therefore adhere to garments, skin and equipment, thus killng odor causing bacteria and eliminating game spooking human odor.

Where did you copy this from? Based on your typical grammar, I know that this isn't your writing, and I would like to read the rest of the article. :D

I have never used smoke.. but did switch to all natural soaps, seems to have made a huge difference for me.

i just dont get into all the tv bs and magazine bs its all a joke most of the time. How many famouse hunters who have killed the biggest bucks get in trouble for some sort of wrong doing? thats why i dont get into it.

i just dont get into all the tv bs and magazine bs its all a joke most of the time. How many famouse hunters who have killed the biggest bucks get in trouble for some sort of wrong doing? thats why i dont get into it.

So true. Remember they are the problem not the solution!

Top Bottom