Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoke as cover scent.

I believe Adam Hayes used to be on the show with Stan Potts and has 4 deer over 200 inches with a bow.

Correct and he finds his bucks bedding location then hunts upwind because he says they are more likely to come out if they feel safe and they are more likely to come out during shooting hours if they can walk into the wind where you are calling from

bkcrrtnps - You are in Iowa correct? I have seen mixed results from different areas in the US so just curious. What kind of hardwoods do you suggest? We cut alot of Red Elms down for campfire and wood stove wood. Almost has a ham smell to it when you burn it.

I buy the big bags of pine shavings for horse bedding from Theisens and use those. I have also used the smoke pellets made for the bee smokers

i just dont get into all the tv bs and magazine bs its all a joke most of the time. How many famouse hunters who have killed the biggest bucks get in trouble for some sort of wrong doing? thats why i dont get into it.

I have yet to see a TV hunter who smokes up, remember things aren't as they seem on TV

I buy the big bags of pine shavings for horse bedding from Theisens and use those. I have also used the smoke pellets made for the bee smokers

This is not meant to be argumentative, but some have written that it is hardwood smoke that will work...pine, to me, would be a softwood.

Does anyone know from experience if there is a difference in effect between softwoods and hardwoods?

This is not meant to be argumentative, but some have written that it is hardwood smoke that will work...pine, to me, would be a softwood. Does anyone know from experience if there is a difference in effect between softwoods and hardwoods?

I just have never tried hardwood smoke, I know what I've read and also know that what I've used works

I have yet to see a TV hunter who smokes up, remember things aren't as they seem on TV
I have no clue what you mean i never said anything about tv people smoking tv shows and celebrity hunters are a joke all around. Its been years since ive got bored enough to watch a hunting show.

Last edited:
Some high school buddies and I used to get smoked up every time we went hunting. Dude let me tell ya we could sit for hours on end like it was gnarly tubular to the max. Kinda got the munches though. We didn't seem to tag much, but like all the little animals would come sit down with you and talk to us about current events, the latest movies and girls and such. I quit that after a 60 foot tall red bird showed up one morning and started pulling an earthworm as big as an anaconda out of the ground. The good ole days are past, but if I could go back to 1983 I'd take state, wear my letter jacket more and would've never gave my senior ring to that hot out of town chick with the nice rack and a bad case of the hot pants,

Some high school buddies and I used to get smoked up every time we went hunting. Dude let me tell ya we could sit for hours on end like it was gnarly tubular to the max. Kinda got the munches though. We didn't seem to tag much, but like all the little animals would come sit down with you and talk to us about current events, the latest movies and girls and such. I quit that after a 60 foot tall red bird showed up one morning and started pulling an earthworm as big as an anaconda out of the ground. The good ole days are past, but if I could go back to 1983 I'd take state, wear my letter jacket more and would've never gave my senior ring to that hot out of town chick with the nice rack and a bad case of the hot pants,

Dang it murph I warned you about mixing that dust with your smoke!

So for those of you that smoke, do you do every single piece of clothing that you wear on a given day?
For example: socks, underwear, base layers, mid layers, and so on? And how long in the smoke does one hang their clothes for to achieve the proper amount of cover scent? Just curious.

I would be interested to try this, but don't really want to stink up my truck interior. I also don't want to strip completely down naked on a frosty morning to put on my
"smokes".
I suppose a guy who lives in a more rural setting could also strip down and smoke himself for yet even more effectiveness? As long as you don't fall into the fire or cough up a lung in doing so.

What do you all think?

So for those of you that smoke, do you do every single piece of clothing that you wear on a given day? For example: socks, underwear, base layers, mid layers, and so on? And how long in the smoke does one hang their clothes for to achieve the proper amount of cover scent? Just curious. I would be interested to try this, but don't really want to stink up my truck interior. I also don't want to strip completely down naked on a frosty morning to put on my "smokes". I suppose a guy who lives in a more rural setting could also strip down and smoke himself for yet even more effectiveness? As long as you don't fall into the fire or cough up a lung in doing so. What do you all think?

Not every time but it depends on if I did much sweating. I hang the clothes out in the Morton and smoke them days in advance ...I like to smoke then let the smell die down a little so to speak, I more interested in the anti microbial properties than cover scent. I still bath with a scent free soap and use un scented arm and hammer deodorant

Oh no, here it comes...three cedar boughs in a plastic bag with a picture of a big buck for just $19.99!! :D

I was thinking more like $14.99, but only because supply is good at this time. When I start to run out of cedars, I may up the price. :D

I suppose once I cut all the branches off, I could chip the cedars and bag them for those who want to smoke their clothes. Thanks for the idea! :D

No wonder the chain smoking deer hunters are so successful. Mystery solved! Smoke up Johnny!!!
Hmm...how to make hardwood scented cigarettes...and cigars for the sophisticated hunters out there! :D

But seriously, how long do you (not your clothes) smell after smoking up or wearing the smoked clothes?

I was thinking more like $14.99, but only because supply is good at this time. When I start to run out of cedars, I may up the price. :D I suppose once I cut all the branches off, I could chip the cedars and bag them for those who want to smoke their clothes. Thanks for the idea! :D Hmm...how to make hardwood scented cigarettes...and cigars for the sophisticated hunters out there! :D But seriously, how long do you (not your clothes) smell after smoking up or wearing the smoked clothes?

Not long I have been fortunate enough to tag out within 3 days over the last 3 years

My timber stand is all walnut and oak. Going to coat myself in walnut...walnuts in my pockets and homemade walnut spray

Sat next to a campfire after turkey hunting the other night then wore that same camo out to the woods turkey hunting , had a deer 8-10 foot away from me . Knew something was there but didn't spook . Ever calm thread reminded me of this one .

Top Bottom