Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoker

I have an old one leftover from when I kept bees but never used it to try to mask scent prior to hunting.

And "masking" is all it would accomplish, IMO.

I don't, but I know a guy who does a ton of hunting that hangs his clothes around a campfire to "smoke" them. I'd like to try it. Smoke is a pretty natural smell that conceals and covers a lot.

Smoke is surely filled with a lot of carbon particles which in theory should work like the carbon systems right??

I haven't either, but have seen them advertised. Supposed to cover human scent and kill bacteria. Natural smell. Smelling like hickory or oak would be better than smelling like cigarette smoke!!!! Or maybe Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chips? Oh wait, that's for a different smoker!

I remember years ago we had a lightning strike set a tree on fire and it smouldered for days. My friends stand was close it enough to see the tree and deer would come in a take a look at it. We joked about using smoke to bring deer in back then.

It would only take a small pan of chips in a smoker to cover hunting clothes.

I have used it for years and I guarantee you that it conceals scent and kills bacteria. Buckeye cam sells them and I know several successful hunters that use them religiously...

My only experience with this.... Me & my bro started a fire inside a primitive cabin that had a wood stove. It got out of control (surprise, bunch of teenagers doing stupid stuff) and smoked up the place and all our clothes so bad it was crazy. Out in middle of no where with no water or power - we hunted 3 days with stinky & smokey clothes and to this day remember never getting winded. Don't know why exactly we never did it again? Could be coincidence and not saying it's a sure fire example of proof but we sure remember it well.

I have smoked out my hunting clothes in the past. I honestly believe it works. You don't need to use anything fancy. I usually just burn some leaves from the yard and find a tree or something nearby downwind of the fire to hang the clothes from. 5 minutes is more than enough time to get them smoked.
The only bad thing about doing this is how bad the stuff smells when you're not hunting. Your truck will smell like smoke if wear your camo to the field. The wife will be mad if you leave your clothes piled up inside somewhere. You really need a spot to hang your stuff outside or a tub to keep everything closed up and away from anything you don't want to stink.

Wood chips, hang out whoever I can otherwise in a Rubbermaid tote

Ok, I wasn't sure if containing the smoke scent would have any bad effects on the clothing or go "bad". I guess if it's killing bacteria, then it should be ok. Probably overthinking it. I assume you re-smoke for every hunt? Do you wash the clothes any during season?

The only bad thing about doing this is how bad the stuff smells when you're not hunting. Your truck will smell like smoke if wear your camo to the field. The wife will be mad if you leave your clothes piled up inside somewhere. You really need a spot to hang your stuff outside or a tub to keep everything closed up and away from anything you don't want to stink.

I think I read somewhere where a guy actually smoked the inside of his truck so he wouldn't have any foreign smells from driving to his spot. Not sure I'd want to go that far.

I inadvertently do this every year! Seems to have no negative noticeable effects. We hunt the first night clean and as scent free as possible. We then start the wood stove and smell like smoke for the rest of the weekend. We stay at the same primitive cabin and still see plenty of deer each year. Good topic...does it hurt..I say no...does it help? Not sure!

I have smoked out my hunting clothes in the past. I honestly believe it works. You don't need to use anything fancy. I usually just burn some leaves from the yard and find a tree or something nearby downwind of the fire to hang the clothes from. 5 minutes is more than enough time to get them smoked. The only bad thing about doing this is how bad the stuff smells when you're not hunting. Your truck will smell like smoke if wear your camo to the field. The wife will be mad if you leave your clothes piled up inside somewhere. You really need a spot to hang your stuff outside or a tub to keep everything closed up and away from anything you don't want to stink.

The smell takes a little getting used to but it is a proven bacteria killer and as we all know, sweat doesn't stink but the bacteria on your skin does when mixed with sweat. A little smoke goes along way. I have never owned scent containment clothing of any type and I never let me repeat never pay attention to wind direction and I have never had a problem. I do was my clothes about once every 2 to 3 days. Smoking them up then letting them hang for a day seems to work best for me.....

So just smoke, no scent elimination sprays? Scent free laundry soap? Scent free body wash? Trying to think of all the questions I and maybe others have.

Top Bottom