Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoking clothes

Oct-Lull

I know some are big on this, I believe it works but have yet to try it. How are guys doing it? Like to hear some input from those who have tried it. I am going to try it this year so any help is appreciated.

I use a 10# can with a few holes drilled low on the sides. I put my clothes, hunting pack, etc, on a hanger and put a trash bag over it so the opening to the trash bag is facing the down.

I hang everything that I want to smoke on the track for the garage door.

I then get a small fire going in the #10 can. Once the fire is established I cover it with any type of green leaves, grass, weeds etc.

I then use a pair of gloves and channel locks to move the can between the bags. The bags will fill with smoke and expand. Keep the can away from the plastic bag and your clothes. You don't want to have a fire.

I do this in the garage so the wind doesn't dissipate the smoke.

Maybe someone else can fill in with an easier way.

I use a bee smoker with wood chips. I hang everything on a rack in an old small grain bin and let it fill with smoke.

I used a bee smoker a couple years ago with varying success. I'd light it up once I got to my parking spot and would puff smoke all over every piece of clothing as I was dressing. Switched to ozone this last year (scent crusher) and the difference has been night and day with regards to getting busted.

I used a bee smoker a couple years ago with varying success. I'd light it up once I got to my parking spot and would puff smoke all over every piece of clothing as I was dressing. Switched to ozone this last year (scent crusher) and the difference has been night and day with regards to getting busted.

Ozone generators.....
I think a little education needs to be set in place with these things...... if you understand some basics of chemistry and the way Ozone works and the purpose of it. Ozone is an UNSTABLE adsorbing (not absorbing) chemical compound that creates various chemical reactions that results in many by-products that are toxic to the human body. It's main purpose is binding itself to harmful radiation caused by sunlight which helps dampen UV rays to a tolerable level for living organisms on the planet. All of this occurs in the stratosphere way above our little heads. Not at earths surface. These machines may potentially dampen SOME human scent and can be effective for scent elimination on clothing if used inside a bag for extended periods of time at high enough levels of concentration. But the use of an ozone machine as a scent blocker in the outdoors is like peeing in an ocean. by the time a chemical reaction has taken place to bind to the gasses and by-products released by the human body, they have already traveled a distance that would deem this product ineffective. Especially with its use in an outside environment where gasses disperse exponentially. In other words, it's like trying to throw a dump truck full of feathers into the wind and expecting some magical device to capture all the feathers individually before they all blow away. It's not realistic. It is being advertised as if it were the ghostbusters muon pack. The amount of ozone it would take to effectively neutralize the scent of your body caused by gasses and by products released by the human body (not talking about breaking wind here) into an ambient atmosphere such as the outdoors would be extremely toxic and dangerous. The product claims to abide by the standards of OSHA, NIOSH and EPA, yet none of these organizations approve ozone "cleansing" products because they are deemed unsafe. They simply have standards of what is deemed an unsafe amount of ozone based off of parts per million. This is beside the fact that ozone DOES NOT ELIMINATE ODORS, but rather deadens the scent receptors of biological organisms. In other words, it is doing the same exact thing as your scent blocker or cover scent, just in a more expensive and much less effective method. The by products caused by combustion of carbon based materials (such as wood) have similar effects of binding to by products as ozone does. The difference is carbon based olfactory (scent) receptor blockers are stable compounds that will be non reactive without an extreme source of energy. ozone is an unstable compound and will only be effective until another stable molecule with a an ionic attraction to oxygen comes along. The ozone will react and become other products such as water molecules, hydrogen gas, oxides, sulfur dioxide(toxic to humans) Along with many other oxygen based molecule.

I use my bee smoker and it works great! Cover scent and antimicrobial built into one. I think the most important thing I've learned is more is not better. I hang my clothes on the clothesline and get enough on them to do the job and let them air out. If I have a fire in the fireplace I'll hang them and let the wind drift the smoke from the chimney.

Ozone generators.....
I think a little education needs to be set in place with these things...... if you understand some basics of chemistry and the way Ozone works and the purpose of it. Ozone is an UNSTABLE adsorbing (not absorbing) chemical compound that creates various chemical reactions that results in many by-products that are toxic to the human body. It's main purpose is binding itself to harmful radiation caused by sunlight which helps dampen UV rays to a tolerable level for living organisms on the planet. All of this occurs in the stratosphere way above our little heads. Not at earths surface. These machines may potentially dampen SOME human scent and can be effective for scent elimination on clothing if used inside a bag for extended periods of time at high enough levels of concentration. But the use of an ozone machine as a scent blocker in the outdoors is like peeing in an ocean. by the time a chemical reaction has taken place to bind to the gasses and by-products released by the human body, they have already traveled a distance that would deem this product ineffective. Especially with its use in an outside environment where gasses disperse exponentially. In other words, it's like trying to throw a dump truck full of feathers into the wind and expecting some magical device to capture all the feathers individually before they all blow away. It's not realistic. It is being advertised as if it were the ghostbusters muon pack. The amount of ozone it would take to effectively neutralize the scent of your body caused by gasses and by products released by the human body (not talking about breaking wind here) into an ambient atmosphere such as the outdoors would be extremely toxic and dangerous. The product claims to abide by the standards of OSHA, NIOSH and EPA, yet none of these organizations approve ozone "cleansing" products because they are deemed unsafe. They simply have standards of what is deemed an unsafe amount of ozone based off of parts per million. This is beside the fact that ozone DOES NOT ELIMINATE ODORS, but rather deadens the scent receptors of biological organisms. In other words, it is doing the same exact thing as your scent blocker or cover scent, just in a more expensive and much less effective method. The by products caused by combustion of carbon based materials (such as wood) have similar effects of binding to by products as ozone does. The difference is carbon based olfactory (scent) receptor blockers are stable compounds that will be non reactive without an extreme source of energy. ozone is an unstable compound and will only be effective until another stable molecule with a an ionic attraction to oxygen comes along. The ozone will react and become other products such as water molecules, hydrogen gas, oxides, sulfur dioxide(toxic to humans) Along with many other oxygen based molecule.

Not to get off course of the original intent of this thread, but good info! I'm always up for learning. I agree that the use of ozone in the field (ozonics) doesn't seem like it would work very well. And to be honest, prior to scent crusher, I was a skeptic about the whole ozone thing. I have not used Ozonics, so I can't speak for it. But I have a hard time believing a business can charge hundreds of dollars for their units and stay in business for years if the product does not work. I understand what you are saying about peeing into the ocean, but something is happening or people wouldn't buy it. With regards to the ability to concentrate the ozone into your clothing which is the whole idea behind scent crusher, it works, better than any other scent cover or eliminator I have tried.

I have used a borrowed ozonics and deemed it pretty worthless. I am not on the ozone train at all and don't plan on it after doing a lot of reading. I was wondering about more being better. I haven't purchased a bee smoker but I guess that's the way to go. Was going to build a smoke room but that seems like overkill

I agree with being able to overdo it. I know for certain a coupe of times I got busted was when I was extra heavy on the smoke.

I cant stand the smell of smoke on my clothes when we visit family that smokes, or they visit us, not sure I'd be able to handle sitting in a tree smelling like an ash tray? Or is it a more subtle smoke smell?

I wasn't planning on burning down some cancer sticks, hate that smell. I have burned wood for years and love the smell it puts in your clothes without even trying. Wife isn't a fan, ha be then she doesn't hunt with me.

I cant stand the smell of smoke on my clothes when we visit family that smokes, or they visit us, not sure I'd be able to handle sitting in a tree smelling like an ash tray? Or is it a more subtle smoke smell?

Wood smoke, not cigs.

It wasn't too bad for the most part, but like mentioned above it's possible to go too heavy and that would get to be a little too much at times. The best way I can describe it is it would make you feel kind of grimy/sooty.

Step 1: start a fire
Step 2: hang clothes downwind of fire
About as simple as it gets.
Did this last year with great success.

To me it smelled like I was sitting around a campfire. One time it I over did it, that time I was in the campfire.

Been there! :) Years ago we were camping in the spring while turkey hunting in Shimek Forest and it rained on us for 5 or 6 straight days and the only way we were able to stick it out was to keep a fire going 24/7 and huddle around . Well, a combination of sleep deprivation, determination, youthful exuberance and stupidity led up to me catching my boots and lower pant legs on fire one morning...by virtue of standing too close to, or really IN, the fire. :eek:

I wrecked about the only decent pair of jeans I owned in those days and got my boots so hot that metal eyelets scalded the top of my foot so bad that I had little circular scars there for years afterwards and they were exceedingly painful at the time too. Stupid! :) Ahhh, those were the days, those were the days! :D

I've said this before but just leave mine in the bed of my truck and the lime dust gives a nice coat. Might be all in my head but the way to go

Top Bottom