Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Snake in the blind!

captain

Wednesday morning started out great after getting into the blind at 530.
I left it setup from the day before...I had 4 toms gobbling within 200 yds.

630 they all flydown and 2 toms are working there way towards my setup.
650 and 1 tom is about 30 yds out,to the left, in full strut gobbling his head off with 2 toms and a few hens about 50 yds to the right.

I was wearing all black(inside the blind) my sweatpants left a bit of skin
above my short boots.I was reaching for my bow because the one on the left was coming in and I felt something slide against my right ankle.
I didnt think anything of it and tried to concentrate on the bird .I shifted to get ready for the shot and felt something slide against my right ankle again.
I looked down and holy F### it was a FoccK1## SNAKE wrapping itself around my ankle.A 30" bullsnake decided to invade my turkey hunt.
I'm usually tolerant of snakes but I freaking lost it.I started kicking and yelling and didnt stop until the DB was flat and every turkey in the county
was heading the other direction.
Not only did I P### and s### myself but I broke a hub on my DB.

I can laugh about it now...12 hours later...but I'm gonna have nightmares
about this one for awhile.A first for me.

Tip being...if you leave your blind out overnight...double check everything the next morning for snakes.

I'm glad this hunt wasnt filmed because this would make me a laughing stock on you tube.

Good luck ....it may be awhile before I get back in the blind.

Did he look like this?:D:D:D

madsnake.jpg

I'm not a big fan of them either. Funny story though:way:

I hope you let that Bullsnake live another day! He was being super-friendly like they often are- one of my favorite snakes of the midwest. Coming from someone that studied to be a Herpetologist & has been bitten by about every non-venomous snake known to man, I hope you made a new friend and hopefully a new family pet! :)

Ok, I was half asleep while reading that post and couldn't stop laughing for a long time. Thats is the funniest post I have read in a long long time :) :):)

I NEVER leave them up anymore as I was a wasp victim once. Hey, I guess they take what the want!

Did he look like this?:D:D:D

madsnake.jpg

I'm not a big fan of them either. Funny story though:way:

dammit Jay!!! Thats just cruel.
Just brings back the initial creepy feeling and fright!

I cant sleep AND I cant go turkey hunting.

It tore me up so bad I'll have the scoots for a week.

Sounds like the time my buddy returned back to the blind in Nebraska hunting antelope. He had some kind of snake in there that was absolutely pissed. Mean sucker. He ended up killing it by smaking it with a broadhead. I didn't have a clue what was going on in that blind!! :)

That is a hilarious story though!!

[dammit Jay!!! Thats just cruel.
Just brings back the initial creepy feeling and fright!

I cant sleep AND I cant go turkey hunting.

It tore me up so bad I'll have the scoots for a week. /QUOTE]

Sorry, that's me....kick em while their down!;)

Ahahaha a bull head? I had one of those as a pet when I was 8 and it grew to 33"s before my cat ate it. I would have just sat there with it wrapped around my ankle, waited for the Turkey, then kill the Turkey, then freak out.

you have more balls than me. I would have been wailing and chopping that snake into as many small pieces as possible.

I left my blind out to return to fill my second tag - now I'm going to be all freaked out climbing in it in the dark.

I hope you let that Bullsnake live another day! He was being super-friendly like they often are- one of my favorite snakes of the midwest. Coming from someone that studied to be a Herpetologist & has been bitten by about every non-venomous snake known to man, I hope you made a new friend and hopefully a new family pet! :)

I'm right there with you Skip! When I was in graduate school studying rattlesnakes and venom, I had a 5' pet gopher snake (SW version of the bullsnake) that I used to let crawl around my shoulders and neck. Very relaxing!!

Although in Captain's defense, there was a time before all that when I was younger when I worked on rural water lines/water meters and bullsnakes and garter snakes loved those meter pits and I HATED crawling into those pits with snakes to repair the water meters.

hahaha....great story...imagine what that turkey thought when your blind exploded with u going ape shit on that snake....hahaha

We have a few timber rattlers on the west side and copperheads a little farther south.

Top Bottom