Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

So close...(BBD?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had coyotes beat us to a doe my nephew shot over the weekend, so yeah, it sure could be. Hope it turns out well for you...

NWBuck

Any luck this morning? I'm getting anxious:)

Well, I haven't gone out yet. I have to finish school at 12pm because I have open seminar. I will once that 12pm bell rings I'm out of there and a few friends might come and help me if I don't find him by 3 or so. I might sit out and see if he comes back out.

Give him time...he's dead. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

Definitely dead...it's just a matter of finding him. A gut shot deer cannot live. Like Nanny says, he'll develop a fever shortly after being shot...a couple hours, and he'll feel the need to cool himself off either in water or cool grass or something.

Is there a creek nearby??

Get on your hands and knees and track drop by drop...

Good luck!

Gladiator, I was 5 yards from a pond when I shot him he was 15 yards away from me. Only water around for 1 mile or so.

id say you got guts as well. when they are gut shot you usually find them dead by water but since you shot him at the only water source for a mile that probably won't be the case. he's probably piled up right inside the ditch or timber line he came from in the nastyest cover there is.. Im sure he's dead though as you decided wisely to back out! Also, with my experience gut shot deer don't bleed much cause the usually get a piece of gut in the wound channel so track slow and be patient ..your nose is a great tracking aid as well in this case cause gut shot deer stink!

TH, given all of the information you have given us...

1.) You think you hit him back
2.) You heard him crashing around in the corn
3.) You heard coyotes ripping into him

My questions are this. Did he act hit when he ran off? A gut shot deer will hunch up. A deer's body language after the shot is crucial in determining if the shot was fatal or if you hit him at all. Could the crashing around in the corn have been other deer running off at the sound of you on your cell phone? Were the coyote howls coming from where you heard your deer crashing around in the corn?

If you're certain that you hit him, then at this point, it would be unethical to sit again and wait him out unless you've exhausted every opportunity to recover your deer. You need to get out there ASAP to attempt to recover him. I'd start where you thought you heard him crash. A gut shot animal won't have much blood so if he's not there, he'll either be in the thickest cover on the property or at a water source.

Good luck!

[QUOTE

If you're certain that you hit him, then at this point, it would be unethical to sit again and wait him out unless you've exhausted every opportunity to recover your deer. You need to get out there ASAP to attempt to recover him.

[/QUOTE]

I think he realizes this, he's in school today, and doesn't have a choice... "he has to wait til noon and then he is headed out there."

TH, unfortunately this happens some times. Allot of us have been in your shoes. My son had this happen to him last week on a hunt. Good luck I hope you find him.

[QUOTE

If you're certain that you hit him, then at this point, it would be unethical to sit again and wait him out unless you've exhausted every opportunity to recover your deer. You need to get out there ASAP to attempt to recover him.

I think he realizes this, he's in school today, and doesn't have a choice... "he has to wait til noon and then he is headed out there."[/QUOTE]

Bowhntr,

He said he may choose to sit again. I was making sure that he at least looked, before he decided to sit again. But yes I see that he is in school, which is why I said ASAP (as soon as possible). :thrwrck:

SEIowaDeerslayer said:
I think he realizes this, he's in school today, and doesn't have a choice... "he has to wait til noon and then he is headed out there."

Bowhntr,

He said he may choose to sit again. I was making sure that he at least looked, before he decided to sit again. But yes I see that he is in school, which is why I said ASAP (as soon as possible). :thrwrck:[/QUOTE]

Just leaving school now. I'll keep you updated.

Crashing in the corn? Unless that was another deer, he could have been on his last breath...check the corn where you heard the noise.

Good Luck finding him. I agree with everybody else, that deer is dead and probably was not too long after you shot him. I'm sure if he was gut shot he's gonna stink a little, so pay attention to your nose too. You get within 50 yards of him downwind, you will smell him.

That angle of a shot, I think you could have Femm'd him. He would maybe go 10 yards at most and could be in that corn field. If no exit out the back hip which there probably isnt, you wont have much blood till he fills that paunch up and starts to spill out...but by then he would be dead. You have any friends with dogs? Not sure if you can trial a dog on the blood trail down there in Iowa?? Beagles are good for this...German Wirehair or griffens are good trailers too. You get them on the trail and they will find it.

Good luck..and I think you will have him. Shotgun to a hip, will do some damage....cant immagine him going to far before bedding with a busted hip...that shot should have done that to him I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom