Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

So what did you learn this year?

This subject is running on a couple other sights, let's see what we have.
I'll start:

1. Be prepared for an East wind.

2. Like there is a Nov. rut, there is an Oct lull.

3. In the face of adversity there is opportunity.

When you set your sights to kill a particular buck and only that particular buck, be prepared, you could be let down.

One piece, cut on contact broadheads are the only way to go.

I will be re-evaluating my doe harvest plans for the 2010/2011 season.

Lighted nocks are problematic.

When things are slow, get aggressive.

The deer population is declining rapidly.

You can't stop a giant buck actively chasing a doe with anything less than an air horn, if even that, regardless of how many times he runs within 20 yards of you...

There is no such thing as scouting too much, but there is such a thing as scouting too little.

Always bring a camera...some of the best opportunities for photos come along when there aren't any deer in sight.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

What I learned, or re-learned...let's see

1. There's a lot more going on in the timber at noon than you'd expect.
2. Rage broadheads are awesome...but way too expensive.
3. I'd rather spend 2 hours in the blind with my kids than a whole day in the stand by myself :way:

NWBuck

Rolling a canoe a mile from the truck, dark thirty opening morning....isn't to much fun.

Last edited:
Always listen to that nagging thought that you should have changed your powder after hunting in the rain.

I had another Lone Wolf strap go bad this year (2nd one). Like the first, it was slipping and there was no obvious sign of damage or dirt in the buckle area.
Fortunately it was while setting the stand and not while I was in it. The strap was new this year.

Currently looking for a better attachment system!

Last edited:
Great post idea!

I learned a lot as i have in all my 35+ years of bowhunting whitetails. This year's lesson that stands out to me:

1) A 160-class 10 pointer standing broadside at 18 yards is too much of a temptation not to try and thread an arrow through a small opening in the brush. And...
2) A carbon arrow will shatter into several pieces if it hits brush. But...
3) A busted arrow is better than a wounded buck any day. Lesson Learned.

2009 Lessons

1. I need more stands up for SE and E winds. (The flip side of that one though is that I can take some mighty good naps on these days and let the boys hunt the stands that will work for an E wind.) :)

2. No matter how wet the spring, summer and fall may be...I invariably initate a short term drought effect the day I get most of my fall food plots planted in early August, harummphh! :( Although my plots turned out somewhat, I know they were not optimal due to a month long no rain period starting right after planting. I think even one decent rain on them within a week or two of planting would have worked wonders, but oh well.

3. It is a lot of fun to watch my teenage boys develop as hunters and get the "bug", although I would certainly enjoy shooting a giant too, I can honestly say that I would enjoy it more if one of my boys took down a monster instead of me, as long as it didn't spoil them.

For me, be more mobile and hunt different areas. (Saw more deer and betteer bucks this year than the last couple by hunting different areas. Will be using a climber next year to do the same.)
Keep it fun. Took a buddy that wasn't seeing much this year with to my area and he had a great time. Took a newer hunter out a couple of times and had great encounters.

Make sure you trim out the stands to be able to actually shoot.......don't get tooooooo hung up with not trimming the branches.

Don't pass on a buck to later that day shoot him because he came back thru.

dont get hung up with one buck....

Don't hurry up and sight in your new muzzleloader at 50yds when your hunting a beanfield where you can see 300yds. Missed three different good bucks that way.

Don't shoot the first 2.5 year old you see, bigger deer will come along. Three days later at ten yds low 150's

Always double check your equipment prior to a hunt. Especially bow strings! otherwise it might cost you the buck of a lifetime:(

Make sure your shooting lanes are indeed clear, even those little shrub branches that always seem to lay across a deer's vitals.

Prepare more trees ahead of time for a climber or LW so that when setting up in areas close to bedding areas so you don't cause more disturbance than needed.

You can never have too many stand sites

Last edited:
If you fill your bow tag with a buck and go hunting after that to fill doe tags you will always have a bigger buck then the one you shot come into range!!!

It never fails!!! :D:D

i didnt get to learn much this year, shot the number one buck on the list openin day of early muzz with my bow, only had 8 more days of buck huntin left, was done buck huntin by oct 25th. granted, i did shoot the deer of my dreams but i do wish i could have hunted him alittle longer than just 2.5 weeks into the season.

1: find a way to keep those freeloadin deer off your freshly planted, luscious green, labor intesive foodplot until you are able to hunt it! (mine was completely eatin within ten days of first growth)

2: dont buy early muzzleloader tag, no matter how patternable a buck is when those tags go on sale! he wont have the same routine in a week.

3: just because hes 150 does not make him a shooter!

4: i learned deer season lasts a long damn time when you can no longer shoot a buck.

Top Bottom