Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

So what did you learn this year?

Don't be afraid to get aggressive.
Never plan your vacation around the weather for hunting.
If you shoot a real nice buck. Tell people you shot it out of state!:D

Ive always tried to pay attention to wind direction so the deer couldn't smell me, however this year I noticed that wind direction seems to affect the deers travel to a food source, and their escape route when jumped.

1. Pick up your bow with each buck rather than glassing them too much. Sometimes they get bigger the closer they walk :mad:

2. Never, and I mean never, think a shot is going to be an easy shot. Pick a spot and follow-through. :mad: Can anyone say "wiff"

3. Hunt more during the mid-day not just early and late.

4. Don't be afraid to call at deer, just don't overcall. Had more response to calling this season than ever before. However, I did not overcall at a spotted deer as I had done in prior seasons.

5. Make more time to take my kids hunting with me.

Last edited:
Great post! Things I will make a second (or more) motion:
-There are a lot of shed bucks harvested during late season, despite what is reported (I believe)
-The season rarely goes as planned

Things I've learned:
-Never forget your grunt call, called in my biggest in Dec
-Don't always count on a specific week to plan your vacation on, very slow for me 1st week of Nov
-Never discount late Oct for bucks, I believe there was a lot more nice bucks harvested late Oct vs. first part of Nov in my area

If you miss a deer or make a poor shot. Always go home and check your sights, it may be an equipment problem. Had both my bow and muzzy get knocked way out of sight this year. Not sure why on either one but the bow cost me a wounded doe and the muzzy cost me what would have been the biggest buck I ever killed, TWICE!

1. powder gets wet.
2. Easy load sabots dont shoot very consistent.
3. Relax and enjoy hunting- don't pressure yourself to the point where its not fun
4. Try new tactics
5. Introduce more kids and women to the sport. This was the most rewarding season ever in that respect.
6. Plant more food plots. My deer are greedy and I just love watching them in them. It gives a sense of giving back to the herd.
7. Keep better records of foodplots and run more comparisons.

1. Always have a back up plan in case 6 out of state squirrel hunters are going to hit the public woods at first dawn that you plan to hunt.

2. Hang permanent stands in spots you know will be good. No sense in carrying equipment a mile and a half every day.

3. The first time a release fails on the range throw it away.

4. Have a hunting buddy that realizes its not okay to arrive a half hour late than the designated departure in the mornings.

5. Sleeping in the cab of a pickup in a public parking lot overnight gets cold.

6. Coffee gives me the *&^*&^S.

7. Just because a spot looks good on an aerial, doesn't mean that it is. Walk it before hand.

8. Pick, mark and trim all trees you plan on possibly hunting throughout the season.

9. Poision oak still sucks

10. Don't have a baby on August 30th :)

number 11 should be to always have some TP in your back.
Specially when its -5F and you've got a dangleberry. At least there was snow around to clean off my hand. YUCK

I also learned this year to pay more attention to the yardage for an accurate shot.

Don't know if I learned anything new or not but I did confirm a few things.

I had more fun this season than in the past by throwing out the gotta shoot a big one mentality.

I didn't have any "Go To" natural blinds this year. Opting for the "Run and Gun" hunts instead. Didn't know where I would set up until I got there. Trusting your "gut" is a good option. Worked for three in the freezer in four hunts.

As I get older, warmer weather hunts are more enjoyable.

I'm not very good at judging a bucks score from a photo.

A good flintlock can't be beat.:D;)

liv4rut....My first baby is supposed to be born on august 30th. Tell me what to expect or not to expect. lol

crappy

I learned that the more I archery hunt, the more I love archery hunting. I also learned that I can't wait to take my daughter hunting with me again and I can't wait for my son to be old enough to tag along. :way:

I also learned that when a buddy calls me up to say he's got a deer down and needs help getting it out, I'm going to strongly recommend we quarter it and make a few extra lighter trips to get it out rather than stringing it to a log to be carried out "safari style" if, again, its 1/4-mile or more from the truck all uphill getting out! :D

i learned when sitting all day NEVER daze off. on nov. 13 @ noon i had the biggest buck ive ever seen bow hunting sneak up on me at 8 yards and i never got a shot. always gotta pay attention!!

#1. Your dipstick land neighbor can greatly affect your hunting if he allows half the town and bar to hunt his land that adjoins yours, every season!
2. Deer will not always run through the timber the same way every year, things change.
3. When the big one comes by you cannot be the shooter and try watching at the same time.
4. Persistance can pay but be prepared to spend a lot of money on gas!!
5. Things don't always go as planned. That's why they call it hunting. Enjoy the moment during the good times, their not always good.

I’m sure you can use your bow for your early or late muzz tag. Just not during the shotgun seasons.

Top Bottom