Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

spotlight question for someone...

moosehunter

PMA Member
I know it's illegal to use a spotlight when you have any type of firearm or bow with, but what about when you have nothing in the vehical? I was just talking about this with some friends and nobody seemed to know for sure. One thought it was illegal to spotlight period now. Does anyone here know?

It is perfectly legal to spotlight as long as you stay away from houses and have no weapons. Spotlighting is a great way to scout fields after dark. You can tell where the deer are at fairly quickly and eliminates wasted time in a stand. I like to spotlight because I see alot of deer that I have never seen especially the giants. When I am going to spotlight I let the neighbors know what I am up to so that way they know who is doing it. I also do not spotlight without a farmers permission either.

Next to a trail cam it's the best scouting tool you can have. I'm surprised it's not illegal. It sure looks suspicious. It's the poachers tool of choice! You wait those slobs will have that law changed.
Hunt on All4s

all4s. thats how our converstion started. spotlighting being a tool of choice for poachers. it was mentioned that iowa is, or did make it illegal now to use a spotlight at anytime. i didn't see anything in the rule book that says you can't spotlight as long as you have no gun or bow or anything along.
nono.gif

I knew a guy last year that got a ticket for this. He was spotlighting deer for scouting purposes and had a .22 in a case under his seat. The DNR officer gave him a ticket for spotlighting with a weapon in his vehicle. He used the .22 for coonhunting with his dogs...

I used to use that tool, but got tired of being pulled over and searched. Now I just rely on tracks,droppings,rubs,and spend time out in August on. I have a good friend down here that recently got spoted for spotlighting. He too had guns encased under the seat. But when pulled over he lost both guns, and his KNIFES. plus he got fined $147.00 dollars. So if you do this type of scouting be prepared to be turned in and make sure your vehicle is clear of ANYTHING that could kill a blinded animal.
busted.gif

if you plan to do it, I would clear your vehicle of anything weaponlike including shells, clips knives etc that way there is nothing that they could use as presumtive to fine you for poaching. Separate yourself from the dirtbags that use this for poaching.

Well they should not have the .22 rifles in the vehicle. I bet most poached deer are shot with a .22.

Anyway it is amazing what you see while going out. Always have a video cam or a camera with when you go. It is great. I do feel pretty uncomfortable doing it even though it is legal. Too bad it has to be that way, but due to the abusers...

I know this sounds stupid but ensure you have no objects that can be used for pummleing also. The local DNR officers around here shun on spotlighting and will give you a ticket if you have anything that can kill or harm animals. This includes bats and hammers. I couldn't believe it when I heard it but they don't care for spotlighting at all. That would be a sight to see... someone trying to club a deer. Like shredder stated take all shells and knives out also.

a ticket for having a knife or club!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

i believe you but i'm trying to imagine some idiot walking up to a 300 pound whitetail and trying to club it to death!!

30577-rotflmao1.gif

I went spotlighting a few times earlier in the season. I made sure I didn't have anything in the truck, but I never to pulled over. I'm surprised we didn't get pulled over, we would drive all over for a few hours. We mostly saw does, but we saw a few nice bucks.
good hunting
jason

The guy that had the club to beat deer was not named Carl Lewis or Michael Johnson were they?? Seriously who could run down a deer? I think they are more worried about those big old coons on the chisel plowed ground, I am sure most people could run them down and club them!

I'm surprised! some people lay on the coach after dinner and some go scouting. Moosehunter I read the law like you do, no guns no bows..etc, no problem! I did'nt know about Iowa concidering or changing the law. Personally, if they changed the law I would just about cry! I have more pages of notes from spotlight scouting than sitting in a deer stand, driving around around at sun down and shed hunting put together. Are some of you guys serious? You won't go through the hastle of cleaning anything incriminating out of your truck prior to your spotlight scout. The law is pretty clear of this one. So clean out your truck grab a six pack of soda your hunting jurnal and your spotlight and go see what really lives out in the deer woods. And call your C.O. and tell him your intensions. Don't tell me you guy's are afraid of your C.O. Call your neibors and tell them what your up to. What's the big deal?
Hunt on All4s

Honestly our local DNR officer has made it very clear, he does not like spot lighting at all. If he see's anyone doing this he, will pull them over and search their vehicle. Granted if you have nothing to hide then there is no problem. It's just the thing of having this happen everytime. I'd love to use a spotlight in some fields that I know have monsters in them. It's just the thing of having the DNR stopping me everytime. I think this would start to make a wrong impression with the local officer. I really don't want to be on his bad side
wall.gif

Yes its perfectly legal but not all police officers know that it is, and i found that out the hard way. i was once pulled over and argued with the two deputies for half an hour before they called the game warden at 2:00am. Let me tell you he was not happy and they werent either, boy they hate it when they're proven wrong. Anyways just make sure you have no weapons and you dont shine anyones house and have fun, besides spotlighting is the only time you'll ever see some of the real giants.

Frist impressions! Invite them over for coffee or go to their office to meet them. Tell them where you deer hunt, where you spotlight scout and when. Sure there are alot of DNR officers with 0 personality. but they open up after you get pulled over a few times. They might even ask you how the wife and kids are after twenty or so stops. lol. I know some of these DNR people are hard to warm up to and with some, spotlighting is just not worth the trouble and that's too bad! Forgetting my spotlight would be like forgetting my arrows! I just as well have my spotlight with me. I'm out there anyway patroling my hunting interest, keeping those slob SOB's from poaching You can't expect the DNR to do that for you everynight. Mr DNR will sooner or latter realize you have a comon interest, Stop Poaching!
Hunt on All4s

This kind of reminds me of the ole delimma. "Is it illegal to have a centerfire rifle in your vehicle during shotgun season?"

I do some coyote calling/spot and stalking, and was told one time by a guy it was illegal to possess a rifle in your vehicle during deer season.

I called the game warden and found out it was NOT illegal, as long as you didnt have a deer tag in your posession.

My guess would be if I was ever checked, I would be in for a full vehicle search though. Regardless, I have absolutely no desire to shoot a deer with a rifle. Bow only, but leave it up to the guys that give everyone else the bad name to make it difficult.

Top Bottom