Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

spotlight question for someone...

ALL4S. AGAIN I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU THAT SPOTLIGHTING IS A NICE TOOL TO USE FOR SCOUTING..............BUT. IF IOWA CHANGES THE LAW TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO SPOTLIGHT AT ALL IT WOULDN'T BOTHER ME A WHOLE LOT. OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT, BECAUSE OF THE STUPID ACTS OF A FEW IT WOULD RUIN AN ACTIVITY OF MANY LAW ABIDING PEOPLE.
cussing.gif

I just got done having supper and now I'm going scouting!
waytogo.gif
I have my decaf coffee, my hunting jurnal and most important my spotlight! A little football on the raido and I'm ready to go. I called the DNR last week and told them I would be out in such-n-such township from between this-n-that time and durring the week of whatever and would be doing some scouting. And as it is, they have become acustom to my calls. Shocked, by my calls? I don't know. But they are used to me know.
Hunt on All4s

One part of spotlighting that is illegal, that I did not know about, is that you can not shine over the center line of the road. Which means you can only shine from the passenger side of the vehicle. My cousin just found this out last week when he was pulled over by the DNR and DEA. He had no weapons and was drug free, of course, but the DNR said they were watching him from on top of a hill for over 30 minutes. Then the DNR said the only thing he did illegal was shine over the center line of the road.
busted.gif
Luck for my cousin he got off with just a warning.

Watch out. Didn't see this mentioned. And no one mentioned county sheriffs. But here is a good one about spotlighting. My nephew and his girlfriend got a ticket for spotlighting his own farm ground. It was a county sheriff, he was mad from the start, and he thought for sure he had a poacher busted. Did a sweep of the truck, no weapons. Which he would never have while spotlighting. The ticket was for shining a light (they used luminating device or something close to that) across a road right of way. I thought it was nuts. So maybe you can only spotlight out the right side of the vehicle while pulled off the shoulder. I don't spotlight but thought I would pass it on.

It's not against the law to do it without a weapon up here but I don't feel comfortable doing it. I've done it twice and was on pins and needles both times. This is the way poachers hunt and I don't want people to make that assumtion if they see my truck out spotlighting, I'd rather the landowners near my house have no reason to doubt my intentions. Besides, I've never seen the nocturnal big boys during daylight hours anyways, yeah I know the area they're in but that doesn't make them any more killable. If it's legal and you feel good doing it, then do so, but like Moosehunter, I wouldn't care if they made any type of spotlighting illegal up here.

Top Bottom