Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spotlighting

risto2351

Okay guys please keep it civil.

I am willing to listen and change my stance toward this but as of now I will be calling my representative on HF191 against it.

We have talked about this before and I know the stance of most but why should I have to give up my freedom to do this with my family on my own land if the fines are what they are for poaching and with limited staffing even if it is passed they will not be able to enforce it.

Now remember please be civil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, can't have a firearm of any kind with you. </div></div>

But you guys can drive around and spotlight them in the fields at night like when scouting?

Sask,
They are trying to pass a bill to make it illegal to spotlight them at all whether there is a gun in the vehicle or not.

I personally spotlight with my boys and have done that for the last 15 years. I like to see what I have on the land and to be honest I have not spotlighted as much since I have the cams out but still do it. This will just take another thing away because the poachers will still do it.

Do you spot light up there?

House File 191 - Introduced

HOUSE FILE
BY PETTENGILL

Passed House, Date Passed Senate, Date
Vote: Ayes Nays Vote: Ayes Nays
Approved

A BILL FOR

1 An Act prohibiting the use of artificial light on wildlife for
2 hunting or recreational purposes.
3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
4 TLSB 1154HH 82
5 av/je/5

1 1 Section 1. Section 481A.93, Code 2007, is amended to read
1 2 as follows:
1 3 481A.93 HUNTING BY USE OF ARTIFICIAL LIGHT.
1 4 1. A person shall not throw or cast the rays of a
1 5 spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light on a highway,
1 6 or in a field, woodland, or forest for the purpose of
1 7 spotting, locating, or taking or attempting to take or hunt a
1 8 bird or animal, except raccoons or other fur=bearing animals
1 9 when treed with the aid of dogs, while having in possession or
1 10 control, either singly or as one of a group of persons, any
1 11 firearm, bow, or other implement or device whereby a bird or
1 12 animal could be killed or taken.
1 13 2. This section does not apply to deer being taken by or
1 14 under the control of a local governmental body within its
1 15 corporate limits pursuant to an approved special deer
1 16 population control plan.
1 17 EXPLANATION
1 18 This bill prohibits the use of spotlights, headlights, or
1 19 other artificial light to spot, locate, take or attempt to
1 20 take, or hunt a bird or animal, except raccoons or other
1 21 fur=bearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs.
1 22 Currently the use of artificial light in such a manner is
1 23 prohibited only when the light is used by a person or group of
1 24 persons that is also in possession of a weapon or device to
1 25 kill or take the bird or animal.
1 26 LSB 1154HH 82
1 27 av:nh/je/5.1

A Little minutia, how about using a trail camera with a flash that "casts light" albeit very very temporarily, on animals? We are, after all "hunting" them, even if it is just on film or disc.

Sorry Risto, I think this is one of those "For the greater good" issues.

The 'Bonker

Bonk,
I actually see both sides and would be willing to give it up for the good of the sport (poachers and helping the CO investigate calls)if the fine was stiff enough for the poachers to make a difference. Would be interesting to see though if they would have to catch them in the act or just by a spotlight being in a vehicle. To be honest it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I really don't care for it. No one needs to be shining posted private fields that they can't hunt but it happens all the time.

I, like Risto, am on the fence on this. I rarely spotlight, but can see the fun in doing it! But here is my only side to the issue. What is making spotlighting illegal really going to do?

With "jokes" for fines for trespassing and Poaching, what is this solving?

IMO, the added 10 dollar(sarcastic) fine for breaking this law is not going to do anything to stop a poacher who could care less about the 2000(guesstimate) dollar fine for poaching a deer!

Not sure if that came out right, but it makes sense to me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you spot light up there? </div></div>
? was for Dean but I'll ramble. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Pretty sure it's not legal. Say pretty sure b/c I don't exactly know. What I do know, is that if I did, legal or not, I'd be stereotyped a poacher and even worse,...I'd have some landowner buddies big farmer hands clenched around my shirt collar. People will have strong opinions either way. I respect everyone's opinion but will give mine. We worry about ground scent, stressing deer in winter etc...yet some put the high beam on a buck or a field with regularity..there's nothing natural about it. Once again my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Spotlighting is one of my most valuable scouting tools. If it gets canned then I am going to be very disappointed.

Good thing Moonlight isn't artificial /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Is thermal imaging considered light /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I also remember a few gadgets that we had back in my military days...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing Moonlight isn't artificial /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Is thermal imaging considered light /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I also remember a few gadgets that we had back in my military days...</div></div>

No. Thermal imagers "see" heat, they do not emit light or anything else. They are strictly a passive device. And extremely expensive.

So when driving at night, and I hit a deer...am I to expect a possible citation for "shining artifical light on a highway at game" on the deer in question to the accident?

I'm also on the fence, especially due to the fact of knowing that this rule will do next to nothing as far as stopping or preventing poaching. Hard to enforce this law with such limited resources available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberpig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing Moonlight isn't artificial /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Is thermal imaging considered light /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I also remember a few gadgets that we had back in my military days...</div></div>

No. Thermal imagers "see" heat, they do not emit light or anything else. They are strictly a passive device. And extremely expensive.</div></div>

Are you guys talking night vision or thermal imaging? I thought they were differnt. I think that if you were using NV equipment and had an IR illuminator on it that would be considered a "light". I asked a CO a few years ago about NV rifle scopes with IR illuminators and he said deffinately a no-no.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom