Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

STOP Shooting Does

coyote good point

I think we should end this thred by everyone agreeing that in some areas a lot of does should be shot. Some areas only a few and some, none at all.It's that simple. Each individual should be focusing on doing what is beneficial to their own area and not worry about what the neighbors are doing. Yea I know, this approach sucks but you just can't change people or try to argue with stupid. The end is usually the same. Sometimes we have to look for new places to hunt, like it or not. I'm just thankful I get to hunt in the greatest whitetail state in the nation..............ck

Excellent point! There are worse states to hunt believe me I can speak from experience!

I think we should end this thred by everyone agreeing that in some areas a lot of does should be shot. Some areas only a few and some, none at all.It's that simple. Each individual should be focusing on doing what is beneficial to their own area and not worry about what the neighbors are doing. Yea I know, this approach sucks but you just can't change people or try to argue with stupid. The end is usually the same. Sometimes we have to look for new places to hunt, like it or not. I'm just thankful I get to hunt in the greatest whitetail state in the nation..............ck

X10
:way:
:way:

Well played....

i disagree, I'm firmly against most welfare type programs that our government institues, but i believe the HUSH program does something great, i personally have no issue with the $1 extra on my tag.

Not tring to get off topic Hotshott and yes I agree with you, but
the one thing I hate about H.U.S.H. is that if I remember correctly
Farm Bureau was asked to contribute to the cause and they said that
they would not do that. We then were asked to foot the bill.
They could of at least helped out.

Just curious what happens to the money if there is a HUSH program overfunding....meaning if Iowa sells four hundred thousand licenses and HUSH skims a dollar a piece off of those licenses. Then only just a limited number of deer get turned into the HUSH lockers(@75.00 per deer to the locker) and there is a surplus of 100 grand where does the money go ?

Last edited:
Just curious what happens to the money if there is a HUSH program overfunding....meaning if Iowa sells four hundred thousand licenses and HUSH skims a dollar a piece off of those licenses. Then only just a limited number of deer get turned into the HUSH lockers(@65.00 per deer to the locker) and there is a surplus of 100 grand where does the money go ?

Don't really know. Good question.

The other thing I wondered is where does the meat go? I know food pantries but I have heard a lot of the meat goes to the penitentiary also?

THEBAD said:
Sorry it doesnt cover anything about surplus moneys if not enough deer are donated

There is an email and phone number for questions sounds like you have questions. Call or email and get the answers and let us know what you fine out.

using the 405,547 tags sold in 2009 and the 6,300 deer donated in 2010 as an example.. the locker gets $75/deer. then the state is almost $70,000 in the hole..

risto2351 said:
Don't really know. Good question.

The other thing I wondered is where does the meat go? I know food pantries but I have heard a lot of the meat goes to the penitentiary also?

Last I knew the penitentiaries are separate from the food pantries i could be wrong. It also reads like it all stays in Iowa.

On another note I know some lockers that buy LOTS of doe tags and whack the heck out of them during the late antlerless seasons. $13 doe tags and they get paid $75 to process them. Not a bad day of work.:mad:

On another note I know some lockers that buy LOTS of doe tags and whack the heck out of them during the late antlerless seasons. $13 doe tags and they get paid $75 to process them. Not a bad day of work.:mad:

Maybe they can be funnelled to areas where a doe harvest is needed? I am trying to get guys to hunt my place to whack some does and can't get anyone to go hunt it. :D

At first some of the meet went to the pen, but I asked a worker from Mt. pleasant pen and he said that they can no longer get the deer meat cause so many of the inmates complained about being served deer.

Deer yard up on me I'm guessing they are down over a half of what the were. Its ok to take some does out of heavy pockets but over all we are hurting out deer hunting.

The "running doe count" in the harvest forum will prove to be a reflection of how ignorant we really are.

:D:D:D How ignorant we are???? What ya got here bub is a state that is about To be sold down the river!!!! Nobody really cares about 10-20 years down the road! :( If you spend $500.00 for a tag...We are gonna kill something! Then ya got the...Whoo look at me!!!!! I killed alot deer with a bow!!!!!! :D Ya got locals shooting 18-20 does in city hunts just so they can get a buck tag and kill a buck thats been eating flowers it's whole life! Sorry! Those big city bucks ain't the same as one that's been living it'life dodgiing everything! I think they shold be entered apart from wild bucks!! And I have not shoot a doe in about 12 years if that will make ya happy!!!!!! Iowa as a deer hunting state! Is up for sale!! Get all grinny the next time ya watch Lee & Stiffany, or the Kinski's! on the toob!!:(

Managed deer hunt preserves are one thing. If you live near one,,,alota deer. If you don't,,not that many. I do not shoot does in my area. Not when you only see 2 or 3 in three wks. Yes,,, this is Iowa.

I think lockers only get $55 to do a HUSH deer unless they raised it from last year. In my opinion the Hush program has been the worst thing for our deer heard. Makes it way to easy and convenient to pull that trigger knowing all you have to do is go drop it off and it doesn't cost you anything and thinking inside your head that some poor family with holes in their pants and shoes are waiting at the food pantry for a package of meat that some hunter just shot.

Top Bottom