Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

STOP Shooting Does

in all reality what the bow hunters of this state do has little to no impact on the deer herd.. wait until you get all the orange gangs running around in December shooting anything that moves.. i think the gun season is where Iowa needs to start to reevaluate the deer hunting

in all reality what the bow hunters of this state do has little to no impact on the deer herd.. wait until you get all the orange gangs running around in December shooting anything that moves.. i think the gun season is where Iowa needs to start to reevaluate the deer hunting

I think the Governor needed to do the right thing and let the DNR cut the doe tags back.
I know what you mean though. There's a couple gun groups that hunt near me that filled their barns with does over the last years. Shot for bragging rights and a few pictures. Half of them were left hanging frozen for over a month, not put to use. That's the stuff that pisses me off. There isn't 1/4 the deer in that area there was 6 years ago. And they'll go out and do there best to do it again I'm sure.

I think every doe counts...no matter what its shot with, or who shoots it

:D:D:D How ignorant we are???? What ya got here bub is a state that is about To be sold down the river!!!! Nobody really cares about 10-20 years down the road! :( If you spend $500.00 for a tag...We are gonna kill something! Then ya got the...Whoo look at me!!!!! I killed alot deer with a bow!!!!!! :D Ya got locals shooting 18-20 does in city hunts just so they can get a buck tag and kill a buck thats been eating flowers it's whole life! Sorry! Those big city bucks ain't the same as one that's been living it'life dodgiing everything! I think they shold be entered apart from wild bucks!! And I have not shoot a doe in about 12 years if that will make ya happy!!!!!! Iowa as a deer hunting state! Is up for sale!! Get all grinny the next time ya watch Lee & Stiffany, or the Kinski's! on the toob!!:(
Damn it Crockett...its been 12 years...go kill a doe, it might make you feel better.

Last edited:
Ok for all you trophy hunters out there here is a little more math for you. I don't mean to hijack this thread but these things go hand in hand for me. There were 6,300 deer donated to hush in 2009, because in my opinion some people were misdirected into thinking they were helping our deer herd by killing extra does that they didn't want for anything. If most of those were does and most were spread out all over the state, say 6000. Then if most of those 6000 does had twins in 2010, that is 12,000 fawns along with the original 6000. Now if those 18,000 deer, consisting of the 6,000 does having twins in 2011, and about 2/3s of the 2010 fawns being does that might have a single fawn. That is another 20,000 fawns for 2011. So we have 6000 plus 12,000 plus 20,000 more potential deer for 2011. Now we know that more than half of those 38,000 deer will die for one reason or another during those 3 years but that is still 19,000 extra deer and if even 30 percent are bucks then that represents 5,700 bucks. How many of those could become Pope & Young bucks? Who knows for sure now, but I can tell you EXACTLY how many WILL become Pope & Young NONE( not even one because they don't exist)!!!:thrwrck: These numbers are all some what based in facts but are by no means actual, but they do represent what could happen.

That 5,700 guesstimate of bucks is almost 3 times the number of SHED bucks killed in the 2009 season (2235) including the late season that every one berates for that very reason. Killing those does cost us all the potential for those trophies, but that is ok because we need to kill more does to make the deer herd healthier and stronger and the needy families of Iowa can get extra nutrition, and we can keep on shooting deer even after our own freezers are full. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll put it in perspective gang...it can't be that bad. We're the same size as Texas, 15000 doe tags are sold here annually. We're not overrun with deer. I assume your low density areas are not that bad, on avg I believe there is 1 deer per sq. mile here, obviously many more in certain areas.

I just thought about something and maybe I was wrong, it would suck if there were only a few hunfred acres or less I could hunt as right now many areas like that are dry of deer. I guess when you just move to follow them it isn't all bad.

Talk to your local farmers, not land owners, and see what they think of the deer population...does on our farm eat our crops (YOUR product) just as much as does. If its brown its down period.

Talk to your local farmers, not land owners, and see what they think of the deer population...does on our farm eat our crops (YOUR product) just as much as does. If its brown its down period.

I hear this alot and it makes me laugh. Most farmers have no idea that the majorit of crop (corn) damage is caused by coons, NOT DEER!

I see someone has brought a hearty helping of intellect to the conversation :rolleyes:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.Very good! Nice information this is really interesting. Good luck in building the table.

picture.php

Good luck in building the table.

This inspired me, think I'm gonna go build a table and beat it to bits with a big hammer.... Then I'm gonna go kill a stack of does from the same treestand.....

From what I understand and from what I have seen on my dad's farm 180class is correct, coons eat and destroy more corn than deer, even a lot of deer.

Coon eat more than deer...comon lol be logical. Do we eat more than cows? Both damage crops, but only deer eat/damage multiple crops. But as stated numerous times earlier in this thread...deer population changes with the territory. Each individual/party can make decisions based on their #'s and regulate the herd.

Shoot a doe or 2 if you need to fill a freezer. imo - save them til after rut(as previously stated "they are your bait" :way:) then hang some venison when the weather is right.

moto3 said:
Coon eat more than deer...comon lol be logical. Do we eat more than cows? .

As a whole yes higher numbers more mouths to feed. Would you like me to start posting coon pictures? I get more pictures of coons than deer. Do you think deer knock down stalks to eat corn? Why would they do that when the ears are right a mouth high.

Sent from the iPad using IW

Top Bottom