Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Student suspended for bow

I remember High school, I always had a gun in my back glass in the parking lot, alot with about everyone else. Times have really changed.

I remember in middle school, I was going to go hunting with a buddy of mine, so I took my shotgun to the principles office and kept it there until after school, then went and got and and rode home with him and his dad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Things sure have changed. </div></div>

and how...I remember flying to Idaho to hunt with a big ole jack knife in my pocket....

What would happen now if you pulled a knife out of your pocket in an airport or a school?

So...I agree...it seems silly and stupid, but these times have changed, rules have changed and unless one is living under a rock...you ought to know better.

Taking any kind of a weapon to a school is asking for trouble even if locked in a car in the parking lot.

Now you see...there are advantages to being home schooled...like seeing how many rabbits one can shoot while walking up the driveway to get the mail, between geometry and english.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I've heard that they've installed digital cameras in every hallway, near every entrance/exit, and in some class rooms in my old high school. They also have security guards on the grounds at all times. You used to be able to leave the campus during lunch and come back for an afternoon class... not anymore, and this is in Tama County, IA. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rutnstrut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">180CLASS YOU SUCK /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

The times we live in now flat out suck in regards to all this crap. I'm so sick of this and it's only going to get worse. Good god it's rural nowhere and everyone hunts. He did the right thing and get's busted for it...what a joke. How does the saying go? Nice guys finish last? Yep.

What about a baseball bat, a football cleat, a cheerleading batton, a pair of track spikes, a pencil, a pen, a tire iron in your car, all of that crap could do that same damage that any of these "weapons" could do that kids are getting busted for. It's rediculous.

Some days I really consider just moving to total BFE...

Shoot2kill, you going to move to sw Iowa? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm a teacher. Next year I won't be saying that. After 9 yrs I've decided that this is the last year that I will teach school. Society and Education seem to be plummeting in my opinion. These type of ridiculous rules exist up here too and even more ridiculous, I have 10 yr olds in my class that cannot read, write or recognize numbers. Move them along...don't hurt their self esteem...make an individual plan for all of them, don't let the kids make a snowball on school grounds, suspend any child that bumps into another during a game of floor hockey, redo the individual plans because the students aren't reaching the goals that are really only to make administrators and school divisions look good.

It's going to be tough but i cannot do it for 21 more years. Life is not a dress rehearsal and I am NOT spending possibly half my life hating Mon to Friday. It'll be tough as I said, I'll need to find other work, i may have to move and leave the whitetail hunting I love so much behind. I hope I don't but since I made the decision i'm trying to come to grips with what might have to be. I was born and am raising my family 70 years too late.

Shoot2kill, you wouldn't like BFE, everyone carries there, for a reason.

Saskguy, If you do stop teaching it will not only be the schools loss but the children also. I do however understand be so unhappy in your job that your ready to give up just about everything just to change. It sucks.

Hope he gets his bow back...??????

In ALL SERIOUSNESS, if i was that kid's parents i would advise him to RIGHT NOW call the police and report that bow stolen and press charges agains the principal or whoever took it, falls in the definition of theft, dont' care what the school rules are, they can make him take it home but can't take it from him.

Same goes with the other private property schools/employers think they can just take from people...

I think it is sad as well. As a science teacher I have about 50 scalpels in my classroom that are readily available to any student that decides to get them as the lock on the door is broke, the staff lounge is always open and is full of knives, and the janitors office contains all sorts of flammable chemicals, tools and a few saws. Any person or student could access these items almost all the time. However, if I have a knife, bow or gun locked in my car and park on school property I would be SOL if caught. I can park across the street from school with these same items in my car and that is fine?

Bottom line is that it is all about intentions and if someone wants to be an idiot and shoot or stab somebody there is not much we can do about it. All these new policies are not really going to deter anyone with intent, but they will get several teachers, parents, and students in trouble that made a mistake and had no intentions just like the kid with the bow.

We had a great kid suspended for two days because he had nail clipper with a one inch "knife" on his key can.

Man that stinks. When I was in high school during turkey season I'd hunt before I had class at 9 and had my shotgun in the cab 24/7 cause I'd just come from the woods to class. We also had a policy, but of course I never told anyone and kept the shotgun well hidden in my backseat. Its unfortunate that a few nutjobs have ruined it for all of us.

There is a serious risk of violence in our schools..from possible terrorists attack or shootings from some punk who sits at home and plays video games all day, but not a bowhunter.

As far as protecting the students from another student, the school should pay more attention to the kids who sit home all day and play on the internet not one out hunting.

I think these "mandatory" means of punishment should be left to common sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot2kill, you going to move to sw Iowa? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Trying for SE... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Been wanting to for a long time. Anyone hiring? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I agree with the last post - I highly doubt a kid that is a bowhunter is the one to worry about....it's the cyber nerds that have never been on a gravel road before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hehe, we're on a website calling people cyber nerds /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

True...hahaha. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I'm only on here because I don't want to actually work yet on this fine monday morning. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Probably a little heavier post than is required on the topic but I'm saying it anyway. What we see here is the result of the failures of Liberalism and the Godless society it has created. Godless because God and Christianity must be removed so as not to offend those who believe in something else or nothing at all. I think this lack of faith and commitment to the belief that bad deeds will not go unpunished has left us in a very frightening position. Yes there are certainly those of us who believe and have the same morals and values past generations had but they aren't allowed to be incorporated into public life on account of Liberalism and the fear of offending even though our country was founded UNDER GOD. We have moved so far away from what the founding fathers had in mind it's laughable were it not so sad. So why individual families may be on the right track there are countless people out there who didn't have the advantage of the quality upbringing many of us had here in the heartland and elsewhere. And how would they ever be exposed to it when public life is devoid of God? Remember all the school shootings when we and our parents were growing up? No, because there were none. Any other theories as to why this sort of thing started cropping up after 200+ years without it? And now, well meaning people all across the country, like this kid, are being controlled by the rules and laws that Liberalism and it's failed policies have been forced to create in order to control it's own output of soullessness. Yep, that was definitely too heavy a response for this thread but it felt good to say. Sorry to interupt.

well.. that's stupid.. hell, I remember taking my bow into my 8th grade class to do a presentation (prob. the same teacher thomas had about a gajillion years ago /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif , mrs. schabilion... she was cool) and it was always out in my car during bow season when I was in high school.

I don't even know where to start with situations like this /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

First, you punish a student for being honest. As a former teacher, this goes against everything I did to try and teach my kids the proper way to conduct themselves in society.

Second, you have administrators without the cajones to trsut their judgement about when to enforce a "rule" and when to let it slide. They are so fearful of protecting their um, "backside" that they lose all common sense.

I could go on, but I won't. I have two kids in the 4th grade at our rural community school. Farm town. People hunt, fish, trap. They are not--not making this up--allowed to use the word "gun" during conversation without possible punishment. I want to go into the principal's office the 3rd week of November sometime and ask him how he thinks all those deer wound up in truck beds downtown...many of them shot by the students he is preparing for adulthood /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It's a goofy world we live in...

Top Bottom