Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sub-Committee Meeting on HF 2052

ElkHunter

Life Member
If any of these gentlemen are your reps, they need to hear from you. If they hear from enough voters this will go away. Please be polite, I have heard from one legislator who received a profanity laced letter from a bowhunter and he was too happy about it. Just be polite and to the point. All their info is listed below.
Thanks

Whitaker, Rayhons & Whitead will hold a subcommittee
meeting on HF 2052, FREE LANDOWNER/TENANT DEER
LICENSES on Wednesday

EXPLANATION of HF 2052

2 15 This bill relates to the issuance of additional free deer
2 16 hunting licenses to owners and tenants of farm units.
2 17 The bill requires the department of natural resources to
2 18 issue annually one free any sex deer hunting license to an
2 19 owner or tenant of a farm unit for the first 40 acres of the
2 20 farm unit and one anterless deer hunting license for each
2 21 additional 40 acres of the farm unit. The licenses are valid
2 22 only for use on the farm unit, are valid and may be used
2 23 during any shotgun deer season or in two different seasons.
2 24 <span style="color: #FF0000">The licenses are transferable and may be given or sold by the
2 25 owner or tenant, without prior notice to the department, to a
2 26 resident or nonresident hunter who is otherwise qualified to
2 27 hunt deer in this state. </span> A person who receives the free
2 28 license must pay the $1 fee that assists with processing deer
2 29 donated to the help us stop hunger program.

E-mail: [email protected]
Home Address: 32500 145th Street, Hillsboro, IA, 52630
Home Telephone: 319-796-4618

E-mail: [email protected]
Home Address: 2108 Roosevelt, Sioux City, IA, 51109
Home Telephone: 712-233-1408

[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like what Kansas had until this coming year.

You do not want this.

</div></div>

Can you give us any insight why KS stopped the program? If we can say it doesn't work in other states because...... It would help a lot.

The 'Bonker

In the past 1/2 of the non-resident tags allocated statewide went to resident landowners. Once the resident landowners got the tag they sold those tags on the open market for whatever they could get (thousands of dollars).

If you were very well off (extremely wealthy) you could buy a tag on the open market from a resident and hunt the state every year. This is how many of the video industry folks are allowed to hunt KS annually. The rest of us wait every 2 to 3 years to draw just like Iowa.

I do not know why KS stopped this but it is a good move in my opionon and places everyone on the same playin field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not know why KS stopped this but it is a good move in my opionon and places everyone on the same playin field.
</div></div>

I agree, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if KS already had.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

You guys!!!! This is huge and you MUST FIGHT against this bill with all your might!!! Kansas had "T-Tags" for 7 years. The Landowner transferrable tag was the loop hole that everyone used to hunt Kansas every year, those with money that is. Landowners were getting in upwards of $3000 per tag on e-Bay. The big money guys will be guaranteed a tag every year and the leasing will increase dramatically. I could get a tag every year from one of my uncles that don't hunt and many others will do the same. It's a big back door method for NR to enter the state.

Landowners had to apply for the available non-resident tags allotted for that zone. If their were 300 non-resident tags for Zone X; 150 went to resident landowners who applied for the tags and if drawn they could sell them to whoever they wanted too and the other 150 went to non-resident hunters who applied for that zone.

It looks like this bill in Iowa is much worse that what Kansas was doing. Basically if you own 40 acres, you will get another tag that you could sell to whoever you wanted to. The 6000 non-resident tags that you have now would be more likely increase to (I am guessing)tens of thousands of tags that would in many cases be sold to non-residents. It does mention the tag must be used on the property where tag is issued. I assume this would cater to outfitters and others who could gaurantee a client a tag annually if they were willing to anty up the cash.

How many times can a tag be sold? If the land owner sells his tag to a hunter who doesn't kill anything the weekend he is able to hunt, can the hunter turn around and sell it to another hunter? Or even worse, can the land owner sell the tags to outfitters and then the outfitters resell them? Any sales tax collected for the sale of the tags?

The 'Bonker

I just don't get this. There are a couple different bills that are under review for the Iowa government (dnr) to reduce the deer population and increase revenue. Why would the Iowa DNR give out FREE resident landowner tags that could sold to anyone and lose that potential revenue??Unless I'm missing something, the landowners are making the $$, not the Iowa government (DNR)....
Now, I don’t want to start any conspiracy theory, but do you think the reps in Des Monies have a bill like this out there to take some spotlight away from doubling the NR tags bill???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, I don’t want to start any conspiracy theory, but do you think the reps in Des Monies have a bill like this out there to take some spotlight away from doubling the NR tags bill???</div></div>

If your options are A or B... Pick the lesser of the two evils

What if both A and B aren't good for Iowa sportsmen??? I just wonder if the "divide and concur" tactic that is being used?? How many bills can the IBA and Iowa Sportsmen fight in one year effectively???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many bills can the IBA and Iowa Sportsmen fight in one year effectively??? </div></div>

The IBA and Sportsmen of Iowa can fight off only as many as the
individuals want. Just depends how bad they want to keep what they have.

A little bit afraid people are saying they have always fought it off, they don't need me.Nothing can be farther from the truth.Some of this legislation is moving in a direction we have never been before and not a good direction.

If you haven't stated your case the the 3 legislators above please do so today.
This is one that the FB really wants. Another cash cow.

They arent my reps but I emailed them anyway. Thanks for providing thier email addys, makes it easy for lazy folks like me!

If the FB wants this to pass, they really don't understand deer management as we've always thought. Just like Kansas experienced, this is a backdoor for all kinds of outfitting and NR leasing/purchasing.... which all leads to exploding deer populations and no access for the rest of us. I thought the FB wants all deer dead ? I can understand the real estate groups wanting this to pass, they'd get rich(er).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the FB wants all deer dead ? </div></div>
I asked the sub comm & FB lobbyist that very question at meeting this AM.
My question to FB was. How can you stand there and ask for T Tags which will tie up more ground and then ask to make the depredation tags & shooting permits more liberal.Is that not talking out of both sides of your mouth? You want the cash & the dead deer.No comment from lobbyist,I guess he didn't hear the question. Isn't that called having your cake and eating it too.
Gentleman from the Ike's told FB he was outraged they consider deer same as rats.That really pissed FB off.

The meeting came to an end with nothing decided.Not good, but not bad. At least they didn't ram it by us.

hoofline.gif

Thanks for the update Randy and thanks for keeping them honest. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<span style="color: #CC0000">Please join and support the Iowa Bowhunters Association, united we can make a difference.</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">For more information about becoming an IBA member&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;</span>Details<span style="color: #CC0000">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>
398ibalogo_1_.gif

hoofline.gif

I just sent an email to Henry Rayhons, our area Rep.
Thanks for posting this info.

Top Bottom