Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tacky Outfitter

crietveld

I saw an iowa outfitter advertising on another forum for trophy deer hunts. He is saying all you need to buy is a doe tag for shotgun season and if you kill a buck they will tag it for you. I know the lines on this are blurry but advertising this way seems tacky.

If what this guy is advertising is legal I don't want to slander him on a public forum just because I think it is tacky. So, is this legal?

I saw it in the guides section of texas hunting forum.com, sorry I don't know how to make a link

Go get 'em boys
starwars.gif

if the outfitter has a shotgun buck tag and is hunting with the hunter it is legal, the non resident could put anyone in the groups tag on it, and if he wants he could shoot 5 bucks and as long as the people in the group tag them it is totally legal

Last edited:
There's nothing to "go get". What he is saying is absolutely legal. If the guide has his legally obtained Iowa anysex tag, and the shooter has a legally obtained Iowa doe tag, and they are hunting together it's OK.

How is this any different than the guy from Castana that was selling the same situation on Ebay? He got stopped from doing this type of thing 2 years in a row.

Or maybe I'm wrong...... I just looked and can't find what I thought I'd read previously. I had checked into it and thought I read a NR can only put a tag on a deer that had their name on it. I checked as I have a few friends coming out this year and wanted to see if they could help fill additional doe tags I plan to buy. I hope they can!!

its called party hunting and it still legal in iowa for the shotgun seasons.whether you are a resident or not.

I have a problem with this when the outfitter starts buying tags in his wife's name, his mom's name, etc. People that aren't going to be anywhere near the hunt.

I have a problem with this when the outfitter starts buying tags in his wife's name, his mom's name, etc. People that aren't going to be anywhere near the hunt.

It is illegal to have someone else's tag on your possession. So if he was doing that he would be braking the law!

It's legal as long as the person carrying the anysex tag is ACTIVELY partaking in the hunt along with the non-residents as a "party". Not sure on the legality of whether or not he can advertise it the way he is though ...........

My first thoughts on this were correct. A NR can not use a tag issued to another hunter. No exceptations stated, even for party hunting during shotgun seasons. From Page 1 of the NR Application guide:

LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
AND RESTRICTIONS​
Nonresidents must have in their possession a 2009 Iowa
nonresident deer hunting license, a valid Iowa nonresident
hunting license and a valid Habitat Fee to hunt, possess or
transport deer. As a nonresident, you MAY NOT:​
apply for or purchase more than one nonresident
Any-deer/Antlerless-only license combination.

apply for or purchase a resident and nonresident deer
hunting license in the same year unless your resident
status changes.

carry, use or have in your possession any license or
transportation tag issued to another hunter.

hunt in any zone, season, county or farm unit (if
applicable) other than that specified on the license.

obtain a deer license if your Iowa hunting privileges

have been suspended or revoked.

Top Bottom