Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Target Panic

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
Anyone every had a problem with target panic and is so how did you overcome it? Last summer and this summer I've began to develop it a bit. Sometimes I am fine, other times my mind says to release before I have the pin settled.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Target panic is a scary thing, and those who have never had it will never understand how bad it really is. I remember back in 2005 I had it so bad that I didn't even want to pick up my bow. Everytime I tried to bring my pin down on the target, I couldn't. Luckily, my hunting partner had it a few years before, and spoke with a lot of knowledgeable guys on how to 'cure' it.

He wrote an article on the TrophyPursuit website that I feel you should check out. I think you will learn a thing or two on how to defeat it. Just remember, be patient and consistent.
http://trophypursuit.com/blake/2012/07/19/fixing-target-panic/

I get a case of it every now and then..when i feel it develop, i pull my bow back with my finger behind the trigger and settle the pin on the bullseye and hold it for 5-10 seconds... then i very gently ease my finger to the front of the trigger and squeeze the shot off.. helps me

I had a mild case a few years ago, here's a few things I did that got rid of it. Got rid of my hair trigger release aid, quit shooting at targets for awhile and just shot judos at grass clumps, stumps, whatever. Also bought a back tension release that didn't allow me to anticipate the shot and shot it for a few weeks. Finally, bought an index finger release for hunting that I could adjust to a heavier trigger and hooked the trigger deeper into my finger and use back tension to release it.

I had a mild case a few years ago, here's a few things I did that got rid of it. Got rid of my hair trigger release aid, quit shooting at targets for awhile and just shot judos at grass clumps, stumps, whatever. Also bought a back tension release that didn't allow me to anticipate the shot and shot it for a few weeks. Finally, bought an index finger release for hunting that I could adjust to a heavier trigger and hooked the trigger deeper into my finger and use back tension to release it.

That's exactly what I did. I purchased a Carter IIshot.....very heavy trigger....haven't had a case of it since....but I also don't nearly as much as I used too. DON'T PUNCH THE TRIGGER EITHER!

I just picture the target in its underwear. Seems to help me..... Someone once told me to just grab the bow and shoot into something like a haybale at night when you cant see from like 10 feet. Just focus on anchoring settling in and releasing. I have never had it luckfully.

I just picture the target in its underwear. Seems to help me..... Someone once told me to just grab the bow and shoot into something like a haybale at night when you cant see from like 10 feet. Just focus on anchoring settling in and releasing. I have never had it luckfully.

:D :D Another good one!! Who needs Johnny Carson, the comics are out tonight on IW!! :way:

BTW..."luckfully"?!?!?!? :D Killing me here! :D

What helped me avoid target panic was shooting a bunch of does over a period of a few years. So practice I guess.

I have not had a case of target panic luckily, but I am amazed at what our minds can conjure up and do to us. I can totally see how it would happen but if you talked to someone who has never shot a bow they'd think we're all a bunch of morons for even talking about something like target panic....

I've had it for the last 3 years and have yet to conquer it. Ted nudgent has battled with it as well, so you are not alone. It made me want to quit bow hunting at one point. I have just determined that it is one more challenge to bow hunting and just work everyday to get passed it. Some days it is worse than others, and makes me want to cut my trigger finger off.

I was told by an Olympic archer (female by the way) to go to a target 5 yards away and aim dead center then close your eyes. Concentrate on your back tension, breathe deep and slow and release your arrow while your eyes are still shut. Do this repeatedly and concentrate on your release, not the bullseye. You'll get back on track quickly. Good luck!

I did, tried everything and couldn't cure it. I went to a backtension release and haven't looked back. I shot my two turkeys this spring using a backtension release and can't wait to hunt deer with it this fall.

I was told by an Olympic archer (female by the way) to go to a target 5 yards away and aim dead center then close your eyes. Concentrate on your back tension, breathe deep and slow and release your arrow while your eyes are still shut. Do this repeatedly and concentrate on your release, not the bullseye. You'll get back on track quickly. Good luck!

That's what I did when I had it when I shot traditional equipment and it helped a lot. I also stump shot like mentioned and didn't shoot at a target for a while, I heard back tension releases also help a lot. Good luck, I feel your frustration...

I've had it the last couple of years and it annoys me terribly. I first tried putting my index finger behind the trigger so I wouldn't slap the release and all that did is make me hand move when I moved to the trigger and still punched it.
Now, I bought a Trufire thumb release (very heavy trigger) and this allows me to slowly move my thumb to the trigger once pin is floating on target. It has helped a ton. Im not cured, but I think it'll always be a mental thing to deal with.
I've read and researched a ton - it's very common and is why back tension relases were developed in the first place. Randy Ulmer has 3 of the same back tension releases set at different trigger weights so he can't anticipate when it will go off.
Good luck!

What helps me is to stop shooting at circle targets. Once I get my bow sighted in I just focus on a 3-D target and hitting a kill shot. I used to put those small orange dots on the circle targets and it just about drove me crazy. Once I get a good grouping, I just focus on life size targets.

I practice shooting to hunt. I know many people like to keep score and do 3-d which is also fun.

I went through the same thing this summer when I changed the limbs on my bow everything had to be reset and I became obsessed about hitting the orange dot. I switched back to shooting a 3-D target and my groups really tightened up and I started relaxing again.

Good Luck! I know it can be frustrating.

I wouldn't call it "target panic", but during the last month or so of shooting in the back yard, I've been calling myself a "chicken of the kill zone", which was a way of saying I had developed a habit of holding just a bit low of a perfect shot. Shooting a bunch of shots at 12-15 yards has really helped, and keeping my trigger finger behind the trigger until I've settled in has also made a big difference.

On a related note, I've been doing a lot of shooting at 35-45 yards this summer, and although I don't see myself shooting at a deer at this range, it has really tightened up my 20-25 yard groups.

NWBuck

Well shot a bit in the yard this evening. Better quit before I loose any arrows. Seems like its getting worse and at times just want to quit. Sounds like a lot of people have had and I have overcome it. I don't know why I am just now developing it over the past year, seems like something someone just starting would have trouble with. Read a few suggestions of getting a heavier trigger release, maybe I'll give that a try.

Great!!! I had never heard of this until now. Now I'm gonna be worried that I might catch it. Is it contagious? Can I get it by shooting next to somebody who has it? What kind of precautions should I take so I don't catch it?

Man, I started 3 different replies, but I have decided now to not.

Target panic does suck. When it starts getting me, I have to just hold back aiming at stuff, but not release an arrow, untill I can get it back under control.

Top Bottom